DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is a class action a very real possibility?

Do you feel DJI is headed towards a class action lawsuit? Would you join it if one formed?

• No and No

Votes: 91 74.6%
  • Yes and No

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • No and Yes

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • Yes and Yes

Votes: 16 13.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for DJI heading for a class action law suit. No, not even remotely close.
DJI have sold millions of UAV platforms and peripherals over the years. Yes there has been the odd issue but in terms of percentages this would be very low. And we must remember that this hobby is one that involves newer technology and software. You cannot get into it and not expect the odd "glitch". If you are not happy to accept that, then you need to find another hobby. We're talking about flying platforms that perform complex tasks. The problem is, younger, late adopters think they should be as easy to operate as their smart phone and never break down whilst doing everything they ask of it in the blink of an eye.
I count myself fortunate to have grown up when RC was analogue, no fancy flight controllers (well, not fancy by today's standards) and the thought of an autonomous multirotor wasn't even a notion. Remember the days having to make sure you were the only one at the track with the brown flag (or whatever crystal you were using) on your Tx aerial?
I can appreciate what it is we have in our hands, because we didn't have it when I was a kid. Therefore I accept it warts and all.
I understand the complexities in bringing a product such as these to market, and I don't expect it on my door step yesterday.
All of my RC gear has been a great learning tool for me and I've had a blast with all of it for many, many years (I'm 43 BTW). My Mavic has not missed a beat since I started flying it 3 months ago. It continues to impress me with how well it fly's and performs all of it's intended tasks.
I feel that more people just need to take a step back and appreciate what they have at their disposal.
Life is short, don't fret the small stuff...

Is this for real?

The reason you see 'so many people spouting off' is because the other 99% tend not to complain on a forum when they're not having problems.

No, and No.
A class action suit is time consuming and can be very frustrating. Besides of that the Mavic is a great product.
I would better spend my time with my family and go out and fly the drone with my daughter.

I don't want DJI to be sidelined fighting lawsuits. I want them working hard in their R&D "pushing the envelope."

Count me out of class action nonsense. You waited a total of six weeks? I had to wait 3 months, but complain now that I've got it? Heyall, no.

I need spare props, and I'm still waiting a month later. :/
But thats something you just go buy yourself that has nothing to do with their cust service. If their store is out of them get them elsewhere

You would need to articulate personal physical harm to yourself and all the others in the suit to have a chance. Having a broken toy or bad service just wouldn't cut it in the courts. DJI is getting better at service and product, just be patient.

I really think before individuals actually post on a forum, they really should read over what it is that they wrote in order for people to get a proper grasp of what it is they want to say.

Reactions: larkin
From the new TOS not sure if it is in the old one as well.
Personally none of all this concerns me as it will all work out ok.

Straight cut and paste.

These Terms provide that all disputes between you and DJI will be resolved by BINDING ARBITRATION. YOU AGREE TO GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT TO GO TO COURT to assert or defend your rights under these Terms, except for matters that may be taken to small claims court. Your rights will be determined by a NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR and NOT a judge or jury, and your claims cannot be brought as a class action. Please review Section 17 (“Dispute Resolution and Arbitration”) of these Terms for the details regarding your agreement to arbitrate any disputes with DJI.

Last edited:
From the new TOS not sure if it is in the old one as well.

This is the TOS for the use of the _software_. It does not apply to the hardware, which is being discussed here. Trust me, I can guarantee you that they can be sued on court.

Reactions: Robbyg
DJI have sold millions of UAV platforms and peripherals over the years. Yes there has been the odd issue but in terms of percentages this would be very low. And we must remember that this hobby is one that involves newer technology and software. You cannot get into it and not expect the odd "glitch". If you are not happy to accept that, then you need to find another hobby. We're talking about flying platforms that perform complex tasks. The problem is, younger, late adopters think they should be as easy to operate as their smart phone and never break down whilst doing everything they ask of it in the blink of an eye.
I count myself fortunate to have grown up when RC was analogue, no fancy flight controllers (well, not fancy by today's standards) and the thought of an autonomous multirotor wasn't even a notion. Remember the days having to make sure you were the only one at the track with the brown flag (or whatever crystal you were using) on your Tx aerial?
I can appreciate what it is we have in our hands, because we didn't have it when I was a kid. Therefore I accept it warts and all.
I understand the complexities in bringing a product such as these to market, and I don't expect it on my door step yesterday.
All of my RC gear has been a great learning tool for me and I've had a blast with all of it for many, many years (I'm 43 BTW). My Mavic has not missed a beat since I started flying it 3 months ago. It continues to impress me with how well it fly's and performs all of it's intended tasks.
I feel that more people just need to take a step back and appreciate what they have at their disposal.
DJI Mavic privacy / backdoor
DJI Mavic privacy / backdoor

Exactly, people decry age now as some fossilised dinosaur, forgetting all the changes we have come through and also forgetting in the not too distant future they will be tarred with the same brush.

There are still a majority of Westernized countries who have this attitude of entitlement. Consumers who call with attitude to any company, threatening to sue and being rude and demanding... then act surprised when they get ****** customer service.

They don't owe anyone anything and yes while you COULD sue DJI, we have yet to see a valid reason posted FOR suing them thus far. Most of us want to see DJI continue to make great products as opposed to suing them into oblivion because they didn't replace your Phantom (that YOU crashed) quickly enough. (not calling out anyone in particular here - just giving a fictitious example)

Also want to say my Mavic is still <awesome> and its been almost a year since I got it - still my favorite bird

This is the TOS for the use of the _software_. It does not apply to the hardware, which is being discussed here. Trust me, I can guarantee you that they can be sued on court.

Yes I said that in another thread. A lot of people on this forum keep thinking Software laws can be applied to hardware.

I am sure the Automakers would love it if they could make it mandatory that you sign a waiver before you buy a new car.

DJI cannot be sued for lackluster tech support or long repair times but they can be sued if the product specifications that enticed you to buy the Mavic are changed in an impactful way.

If my Mavic was suddenly crippled with a max altitude limit of anything less than the 500M that I paid for, I would be willing to join a class action suit.

Just this Tuesday I was back up in the hills and tried to go up the side of a mountain. I got about 80% of the way up and the Mavic reached it's limit. Now I know why some people complain so much about the altitude limitation.

Rob

Reactions: Blades
I would rather DJI use their resources to lobby lawmakers to continue to allow us to fly our amazing devices.

Reactions: rydfree
There will be no class action for one simple reason: Everyone that has used DJI GO 4 has already agreed to accept Binding Arbitration for any dispute, and also agree explicitly not to join an class action but to pursue any dispute individually.

These same terms are included in the new Terms of Use for the most recent version of GO4.

Don't any of you read what you agree to? I just read the new ToU for the recent release today... long, but putting it in perspective, it took me like 5 minutes or something. 5 minutes well spent.

For what? No one has asserted any cause of action related to the hardware.

Further, you are perfectly able to have exactly what you bought, so long as you didn't update the firmware of the RC or the AC. Assuming you haven't ever used GO4, what is the cause of action against DJI regarding the Mavic hardware?

For what? No one has asserted any cause of action related to the hardware.

Further, you are perfectly able to have exactly what you bought, so long as you didn't update the firmware of the RC or the AC. Assuming you haven't ever used GO4, what is the cause of action against DJI regarding the Mavic hardware?

I did not start the thread nor claim that there was a cause of action. I only pointed out that the TOS preventing a cause of action only applied to the software.

Yes I said that in another thread. A lot of people on this forum keep thinking Software laws can be applied to hardware.

I am sure the Automakers would love it if they could make it mandatory that you sign a waiver before you buy a new car.

DJI cannot be sued for lackluster tech support or long repair times but they can be sued if the product specifications that enticed you to buy the Mavic are changed in an impactful way.

If my Mavic was suddenly crippled with a max altitude limit of anything less than the 500M that I paid for, I would be willing to join a class action suit.

Just this Tuesday I was back up in the hills and tried to go up the side of a mountain. I got about 80% of the way up and the Mavic reached it's limit. Now I know why some people complain so much about the altitude limitation.

Rob

I'm suing you. I don't like the way you spell your name, I'm not alone.

I say if you don't like what DJI does go buy another brand, realize the rest are all s h i t.

Status
Not open for further replies.