DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the FAA Killing the Hobby? — Remote ID Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we will see how his predictions play out. I do disagree with his assessment that it "is not killing our hobby". I guess that needs to be clarified. If he means the drone R/C market, I might agree with him. If he is also including the R/C aircraft (fixed wing, helicopters etc) It has definitely made people turn away from the hobby, at least amongst my fellow local r/c flyers.

If I'm flying legally

Except it can't be proven

Unless someone who knows what the rules are and is recording your flight via remote id and agrees

Except it is only part of the picture and only a few people care what the rules are

Which means it only invites chaos
Sorry but I think your logic is a little flawed.

You don't need RID to find drone pilots flying drones in public. The drones make a very distinctive sound and the pilot is usually nearby with his head tilted down, looking at device with a screen that he's holding in both hands while wiggling his thumbs. Some of those robbery targets even wear bright yellow or red vests with "DRONE PILOT" in bold letters so everyone knows exactly what they're doing. Other's put out yard-wide bright orange locator discs on the ground and stand next to them.

If robbing these easily located drone pilots of their gear while they're out in the field is a common crime and serious threat why have we not heard of a single incident?

The obvious answer is that it's not a significant problem and all the fretting and posturing about post-RID armed self-defense and roving bands of drone bandits ready to strike as soon as a home point has been set is just plain silly.

I will admit that there is a possibility that some highly motivated anti-drone fussbudget named Karen might go to the trouble of using RID to get my serial number and find me so they can say something rude. Oh, my!

[Note: I'd definitely prefer not to have RID. But, I'm not personally afraid of living with it.]
I've only been approached by one person so far, and she thought it was cool and wanted to chat about drones. So I feel pretty safe.

Reactions: Wanbli and Torque
Once again: RID is, and always has been about one thing: Airspace management.

It's no secret that all sorts of testing of prototype systems has been under way for all sorts of drone-based services via semi-autonomous and remote piloted aircraft. You'd have to be living under a rock not to have seen the stories in the last 5 years, last-mile package delivery being the most well-known.

While the FAA isn't going to explicitly say it, recreational drone users are not really top of mind here. We're pretty much annoying knots that have to be swatted away from time to time.

No, RID is not there to make Karen's harassment of you easier, and it won't because put bluntly, Karen is too ignorant and simple to take advantage of RID.

Rather, RID is about Amazon.
If it's simply about airspace management then what's the purpose of advertising the location of the pilot? What does that have to do with airspace management?

Reactions: halifax
If it's simply about airspace management then what's the purpose of advertising the location of the pilot? What does that have to do with airspace management?

2028: Delivery drones can be seen regularly in the skies. Some hooligan is getting his rocks off playing chicken with autonomous delivery drones over the the Oakland stadium parking lot, creating significant risk for the people below. It's been going on for 5 minutes, and given the 74 minute flight time of the Mavic 7 Pro, this jerk can keep playing these games for a while.

What is law enforcement to do? The horse's arse can be anywhere within 10 miles, given the amazing capabilities of Occusyc 10.

The purpose of transmitting the control station location is to facilitate enforcement when someone is breaking the law.

It was never intended to facilitate harassing pilots following the law while enjoying their hobby. As such the FAA screwed up in not requiring encryption.

Airspace Management includes contacting pilots to correct problems, and depending on the problem, such communication might be urgent.

Reactions: Torque
2028: Delivery drones can be seen regularly in the skies. Some hooligan is getting his rocks off playing chicken with autonomous delivery drones over the the Oakland stadium parking lot, creating significant risk for the people below. It's been going on for 5 minutes, and given the 74 minute flight time of the Mavic 7 Pro, this jerk can keep playing these games for a while.

What is law enforcement to do? The horse's arse can be anywhere within 10 miles, given the amazing capabilities of Occusyc 10.

The purpose of transmitting the control station location is to facilitate enforcement when someone is breaking the law.

It was never intended to facilitate harassing pilots following the law while enjoying their hobby. As such the FAA screwed up in not requiring encryption.

Airspace Management includes contacting pilots to correct problems, and depending on the problem, such communication might be urgent.
And as part of your fictious scenario it's somehow required to make it so that location is available to the general public.

And someone who's going to do such a thing is certainly going to comply by making sure they have RID enabled on their aircraft. /s

Making the pilots location publicly available is not airspace management.

Very nice video! I am a beginner so I have no problem playing by the rules. The first one is interesting though. I live in Tennessee, most likely the rifles capital of the world (or is that Texas?), but I hope folks here are not very good at both using tracking apps and sniping out drones from the sky. Kind of a bad joke, maybe not, sorry :)

I can pick my Mavic 3 signal from 3Km away with a regular tablet with line of sight with the area where the drone is flying, did a test and shared the results on this forum so yep, range is pretty high as the drones is emitting from a high unobstructed area.

You must have the sharpest eyesight on the planet, DARKSeifer, at least for a human being! At 3km your ”line of sight“ was reaching almost 1 3/4 miles for a Mavic 3 to be seen. In the U.S.A. you’d be breaking the rules without your super human visual acuity.

I note that your profile says you are in Spain. Let me compliment you on your excellent command of the English language. As I former English teacher I am hard pressed to find grammar and/or spelling errors.

I also note that your nom de plume is the same as “a temporary playable character and one of the main antagonists in Final Fantasy VIII”!

‘Nuff said.

Not to be forgotten, if the forum monitor allows this, is that I am free to mark your endless dystopian rants with the “Ignore” button and avoid them entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc