DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the FAA Killing the Hobby? — Remote ID Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but this isn't the case. RID is not ADS-B, and presently there's no way to interface the two systems.
It's what many refer to as "feel good" legislation, with no substantial impact to safety.
I've been around aviation long enough that ADS-B scares me....too many young pilots with their eyes glued to Foreflight, basing decisions on traffic information that can be as much as 10 minutes old (for 978 UAT devices).
It is going to take time to fully see how well RID works, and how practical it may become to keep separation from other aircraft.

Reactions: shawnhar
Would you support a federal law that says intercepting the RID signal from a drone for any other purpose besides "airspace management" is a federal offense?
No.

I'm very much against creating laws to criminalize things that are not a problem. If I wanted to live in Singapore, I'd move there.

Similarly, while I don't think it good behavior at all to sit in a public park with a telephoto lens and collect closeup portraits of people, I don't think we need a law criminalizing it. It's not a problem.

It isn't about knowing your location as much as it is about knowing your drone's location and altitude. I believe the FAA wants to know your location. I agree, the public doesn't need to know, and that may be changed. The FAA isn't your enemy nor is the government in general. Rules are put in place to protect everyone, and from what I have seen with those disregarding the rules, RID is definitely needed. If the FAA sees a problem and they know where you are transmitting from it will make it easy to find you. Again, the public doesn't need to know that.

Regarding number two, where he claimed that "gosh it's hard and not too many people are doing it" there's a spurious comment notwithstanding. Remote ID isn't even in effect yet. When it goes into affect you can bet that a lot more people are gonna be looking up drones. They are called basement dwelling trolls, and technically they are worse than Karens.

EDIT: if you look at the number of downloads of the five or six different apps that are already available for tracking RID, some of them have over 100,000 downloads.

Last edited by a moderator:
One major bit of misinformation at 4:14 in the video is the false statement that iPhones represent half the mobile phone market. The truth is that as of the second quarter of 2023, Android has a global market share of 70.89% while iPhone has 28.36%, and this information is very easy to find. Hearing a false statement like that does make me question other data in the video - not saying anything else is wrong, but...

Reactions: Torque
One major bit of misinformation at 4:14 in the video is the false statement that iPhones represent half the mobile phone market. The truth is that as of the second quarter of 2023, Android has a global market share of 70.89% while iPhone has 28.36%, and this information is very easy to find. Hearing a false statement like that does make me question other data in the video - not saying anything else is wrong, but...
Google AI has some interesting data to be considered:

Here are some statistics about Apple's worldwide market share:
  • As of April 2023, Apple had a 30.44% market share worldwide, meaning that more than three out of every ten smartphone users use an Apple phone
  • Apple is the world's top cell phone brand with 27.1% of the total
  • There are more than 1.46 billion active iPhone users worldwide, accounting for 21.67% of the world's total smartphone-using population
  • In the US, Apple has the biggest piece of the pie with 57.4% of the smartphone market share
  • Apple is gaining market share in India, its next big market
  • Apple's iOS came second at 29.00%, an increase of 1.15% from the previous year
  • Android held a share of 95.26 percent of the mobile operating system market in India
Here are some statistics about Apple's worldwide market share:
  • As of April 2023, Apple had a 30.44% market share worldwide, meaning that more than three out of every ten smartphone users use an Apple phone
  • Apple is the world's top cell phone brand with 27.1% of the total
  • There are more than 1.46 billion active iPhone users worldwide, accounting for 21.67% of the world's total smartphone-using population
  • In the US, Apple has the biggest piece of the pie with 57.4% of the smartphone market share
  • Apple is gaining market share in India, its next big market
  • Apple's iOS came second at 29.00%, an increase of 1.15% from the previous year
  • Android held a share of 95.26 percent of the mobile operating system market in India
Here are some statistics about smartphones in China:
  • In 2022, there were almost 1.04 billion smartphone users in China
  • China has over 1 billion smartphone users, making it the second-largest high-end smartphone market in the world
  • China accounts for over 15% of the world's smartphone users
  • In 2021, Apple's 13% year-over-year growth helped it capture 22% of the China market
  • In 2022, the smartphone penetration rate in China was almost 72%
  • In 2022, the China Smartphone Market size was valued at US$ 359.71 million
  • At least 70% of the Chinese smartphone market was occupied by domestic brands like Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, and Honor
  • Forecasts predict that almost 83% of people in China will use a smartphone by 2027
And finally:

Android has a 76.08% share of the China smartphone market in 2023.
Android is the most popular mobile operating system in China, with a market share of 76.08% in 2023. This is followed by iOS, with a market share of 22.76%. Other operating systems, such as Windows Phone and BlackBerry OS, have a very small market share in China.

Reactions: passedpawn
EDIT: if you look at the number of downloads of the five or six different apps that are already available for tracking RID, some of them have over 100,000 downloads.
Yes, 0.03% of the US population.

I'm terrified 🙄

I'm terrified 🙄
If I opened a restaurant in Nashville and 95% of the city residents downloaded my menu and 0.03% of the country downloaded by menu, why would I care? 0.03% of the American population is stealing identities, should we be concerned? How much of the US population needs to download a karen app before you are "terrified" that the app is so widespread so early that you are likely to encounter it pretty much anywhere you fly your drone? Is 25% a good number? How about 75%?

The download number cited in the context is meant to point to the proliferation and quick rate of adoption before the law goes into the effect; not for determining penetration or the "terrifying" index, whatever that is. ;)

If I opened a restaurant in Nashville and 95% of the city residents downloaded my menu and 0.03% of the country downloaded by menu, why would I care?
When those 100,000 downloaders are all concentrated in your city, I'll listen. Until then, your arguments are entirely unpersuasive.

Let's all have some patience. We'll all know very soon if RID is going to be a Karen problem or not. After all, there are already 100,000 people armed and ready before the official date.

Funny thing though... there haven't been any incidents yet that I've seen or heard of, despite the fact there are tons of DJI drones broadcasting RID, and 100,000 Karens with the app already.

@mavic3usa, how do you square that with your views? Are all these Karens also keen monitors of the FARs, and are waiting until 9/16 to start complaining?

Or, as I say, the vast majority of those downloads are simply curious people that haven't looked at it again since?

I'd even go out on a limb and say probably a majority of those 100,000 are drone owners, not Karens.

I downloaded one of them.

Reactions: okw and Torque
The download number cited in the context is meant to point to the proliferation and quick rate of adoption before the law goes into the effect; not for determining penetration or the "terrifying" index, whatever that is. ;)
How would you estimate the breakdown of that 100,000 between drone owners an non-owners?

When those 100,000 downloaders are all concentrated in your city, I'll listen. Until then, your arguments are entirely unpersuasive.

Let's all have some patience. We'll all know very soon if RID is going to be a Karen problem or not. After all, there are already 100,000 people armed and ready before the official date.

Funny thing though... there haven't been any incidents yet that I've seen or heard of, despite the fact there are tons of DJI drones broadcasting RID, and 100,000 Karens with the app already.

@mavic3usa, how do you square that with your views? Are all these Karens also keen monitors of the FARs, and are waiting until 9/16 to start complaining?

Or, as I say, the vast majority of those downloads are simply curious people that haven't looked at it again since?

I'd even go out on a limb and say probably a majority of those 100,000 are drone owners, not Karens.

I downloaded one of them.
Perhaps but characterizing the number of "downloads" as a percentage of the American population just don't make sense. I realize your point was to show that it's pretty minuscule penetration but I would rather understand how much data has gone thru that app so far, how quickly has the app grown since launch, how does it compare to other [RID] apps, how is it being marketed, etc. Maybe you are right, there are only drone owners and enthusiasts downloading the app and the millions to come will be the karens, so yes let's wait and see before we completely dismiss the idea that it would really suck for the one person who gets robbed because of his details being made available.

I've made my viewpoints on this topic known in other threads. Please check my other posts for details; not appropriate to argue them here. I live in a 2A state and I don't complaint too much about crimes and security. My chief complaints with RID don't come from privacy and safety and public interaction but more from the FAA and law enforcement perspective.

I'm terrified

Comparing to population at large is spurious. 0.03%, for the situation , that is statistically significant.

would you estimate the breakdown of that 100,000 between drone owners a non-owners?

This is perhaps the more useful question. I would suspect a large percentage are drone users. But I also suspect a substantial number are law enforcement.

As for Karen’s per se, I think of them as “bitches of opportunity” and less likely to seek out such apps until they either read about it in National Enquirer or they have a next door neighbor with a drone.

My new business opening next month: Drone Pilot Body Armor. Helping you stay safe from Karens, Kevins, and Basement Dwelling Trolls who are armed with RID phone apps. We offer a wide variety of choices from Hi-Vis to Urban Camo with matching personal protection devices; Mace, Pepper Spray, Tazer or Open Carry Holsters (check your local laws and ordinances).

Comparing to population at large is spurious.

We're talking about Karens. Unless you have some other data segmenting them for the general population for a more rigorous analysis the entire population is what we're talking about. Hardly spurious. However, you're criticism... narrow it down.

0.03%, for the situation , that is statistically significant.

To you. Not to me. Not even close.

BTW, do you have a cell phone that is turned on and with you almost all the time? Curious.

No.

I'm very much against creating laws to criminalize things that are not a problem. If I wanted to live in Singapore, I'd move there.

Similarly, while I don't think it good behavior at all to sit in a public park with a telephoto lens and collect closeup portraits of people, I don't think we need a law criminalizing it. It's not a problem.
Until they straighten these rid wrong implementations out the rules are just eye wash.

One comment I read from one of xjets videos said that if it weren't for hobby rc drone deliveries wouldn't even be a thought. So it seemes that the corporate interests running our government are hijacking our hobby.

I’m sure it’s things like what consumer drones are being used for in Ukraine and by the cartel in Mexico along with some other violent places that the US government was concerned enough to require all drones having RID. Not everyone is going to have it at first, but eventually a majority of users will.

Reactions: NightFlightAlright
I’m sure it’s things like what consumer drones are being used for in Ukraine and by the cartel in Mexico along with some other violent places that the US government was concerned enough to require all drones having RID. Not everyone is going to have it at first, but eventually a majority of users will.
All drones are not required to have RID since any drone under 250g will not have it and never will for the immediate future. That's a lot of drones still flying for many years without RID. Lucky for FAA, it appears DJI is putting RID in their sub-250g going forward starting with Mini 3.

Otherwise, combined with the older drones that fail to comply ends up being a ton of drones still flying around without RID for years to come. Without full compliance, the risk is still apparent. Honestly when RID was thought about, created, and passed I don't think the war in Ukraine had much to do with it.

All drones are not required to have RID since any drone under 250g will not have it and never will for the immediate future. That's a lot of drones still flying for many years without RID. Lucky for FAA, it appears DJI is putting RID in their sub-250g going forward starting with Mini 3.

Otherwise, combined with the older drones that fail to comply ends up being a ton of drones still flying around without RID for years to come. Without full compliance, the risk is still apparent. Honestly when RID was thought about, created, and passed I don't think the war in Ukraine had much to do with it.
The use of civilian drones for mischievous purposes was well known before the war, I’m sure with all the publicity about the war that it’s just cementing the concern about them.

Last edited:
Owning and piloting a drone is an exercise in responsibility. That said the FAA is a three letter Government entity, you can draw whatever conclusions you want from that I guess……. I like to “think” the Government serves us as responsible citizens. But they should have limits; checks and balances as well.

Reactions: Wanbli
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks