DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the FAA Killing the Hobby? — Remote ID Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
But they have to summon you for those if remote id doesn't work. So does it become a fourth amendment issue to get those?
I can ALWAYS prove/show that my flights are legal, and will not need a summons to produce my flight records. I've nothing to hide. I simply don't understand why some here are so scared of RID. WTF are you folks doing with your drones to ellicit such paranoia?

Reactions: Drbobk
I can ALWAYS prove/show that my flights are legal, and will not need a summons to produce my flight records. I've nothing to hide. I simply don't understand why some here are so scared of RID. WTF are you folks doing with your drones to ellicit such paranoia?
The paranoia isn't coming from us. It's coming from somewhere else where they are trying to make other people paranoid, meanwhile the government hasn't been telling us about all the spying on everyone with drones. Making people do rash things.

In other words, the government will continue to spy on us with drones like they have been, and expect to have full support of the public via coercive means and police state tactics.

The paranoia isn't coming from us. It's coming from somewhere else where they are trying to make other people paranoid, meanwhile the government hasn't been telling us about all the spying on everyone with drones. Making people do rash things.
I gotta say, this is the answer. It's not the drone community driving the paranoid and the concerns....

I gotta say, this is the answer. It's not the drone community driving the paranoid and the concerns....
Oh? Just look at the comments from the Drone Community on each RID thread on MavicPilots.
Look at the ridiculous fear-mongering YouTube videos from the drone community published over the past 30 days.
But they aren't the ones driving the paranioa eh?
So these contributers within the drone community are just the victims of some outside force fueling their paranoia?

Oh? Just look at the comments from the Drone Community on each RID thread on MavicPilots.
Look at the ridiculous fear-mongering YouTube videos from the drone community published over the past 30 days.
But they aren't the ones driving the paranioa eh?
So these contributers within the drone community are just the victims of some outside force fueling their paranoia?
Not entirely but if drones were fully embraced by the public and by the government, the fringe element in the drone community would diminish, the drone community would be more supportive and cohesive, and the paranoid would quickly subside or else get put into context that doesn't adversely effect everyone.

It's ok to question your government and redress your grievances but without public support and understanding, the task before super difficult and it creates a vicious circle that only grows but never ends. We've seen this before in the gun community and it takes decades to even get to a good place where we can fight the good/honest fight.

I'm not responsible for the extreme paranoid but I am keenly aware of what could happen. I may not always voice my dissent but it doesn't mean I disagree with some of the sentiment. I believe the cause is doomed if we don't have a least a segment of the community pushing back in their own radical way but at the same time, I'm not ready to exclude them because I can put the overall struggle into context.

Hopefully after September, there are no more YT RID videos and reality will set in and we can get back to the business of defending the hobby. At that point, I would like to pick up where we left off and not let the "distractions" create even more of a rift or divide.

Drones are spying on us eh?
Drones aren't spying, government is spying and now they want to challenge the faa for the drivers seat.

Some of us have already gotten the zombie apocalypse approaching us about our drones and this is without remote id. Ironically, the news outlets pushed to be excluded from the requirement.

The obvious answer is that it's not a significant problem and all the fretting and posturing about post-RID armed self-defense and roving bands of drone bandits ready to strike as soon as a home point has been set is just plain silly.
And would that be? Possibly because it simply isn't worth the risk and effort for a few hundred $$ on eBay?

People who worry AT ALL about this are judging the value based on what they paid new, and the sacrifice that was for them individually. Rather, they need to think of this as a business, and finding, accosting (raises the theft to include felony assault) and stealing the drone as a supply channel. That's how they see it.

We don't have an epidemic of the same with expensive cell phones. Same reasons. Successful thieves are so because they're smart, not dumb. They don't risk the serious felonies involved in physical confrontation over $500.

THAT'S why it doesn't happen now, and why RID will make no difference. The crooks are having a collective yawn over the whole thing.

The Pilot Institute has put together a great video to help understand the myths associated with RID

To answer the question, "Is the FAA Killing the Hobby?"

No, in fact RID has been entirely transparent for my Mini 3 Pro. I have also been pleasantly surprised with how well LAANC works and how much thought went into the system. Come to find out, the FAA has done a decent job of compromising. Good on them.

To answer the question, "Is the FAA Killing the Hobby?"

No, in fact RID has been entirely transparent for my Mini 3 Pro. I have also been pleasantly surprised with how well LAANC works and how much thought went into the system. Come to find out, the FAA has done a decent job of compromising. Good on them.
Don't get it twisted. The so-called LAANC process (or getting authorization to fly in controlled airspace) has evolved tremendously. It wasn't always like you see it today. 🤣

eta: just taking issue with the excessive praise and cause use of the word "compromise" when it comes to the FAA. Not how I remember it.

Last edited:
Don't get it twisted. The so-called LAANC process (or getting authorization to fly in controlled airspace) has evolved tremendously. It wasn't always like you see it today. 🤣

It has indeed evolved tremendously. It's a free, reliable, convenient, easy-to-use, powerful way to quickly obtain authorization to fly in controlled airspace at 735 airports and it's universally available to all drone pilots. The FAA deserves credit for providing such a wonderful tool to support drone operations, both recreational and commercial.

No, LAANC wasn't always like it is today. Prior to 2017 it did not exist.

No twists.

Last edited:
Let's stay on topic please

Chaos is a good thing when you're dealing with stupid people, or should I say people doing stupid things. The reality is it will take time to see the benefits of RID; all of us pilots have had to make sure ATC is aware of our location and altitude to keep separation from other aircraft. Fly into the bay area; there are numerous airports and air traffic is usually heavy at all hours. No one needs an unseen drone potentially becoming a danger to other aircraft. Aviation is a little like sports; either play by the rules or get out of the game. RID is here to stay.

Reactions: SeaBass and Torque
Once again: RID is, and always has been about one thing: Airspace management.

It's no secret that all sorts of testing of prototype systems has been under way for all sorts of drone-based services via semi-autonomous and remote piloted aircraft. You'd have to be living under a rock not to have seen the stories in the last 5 years, last-mile package delivery being the most well-known.

While the FAA isn't going to explicitly say it, recreational drone users are not really top of mind here. We're pretty much annoying knots that have to be swatted away from time to time.

No, RID is not there to make Karen's harassment of you easier, and it won't because put bluntly, Karen is too ignorant and simple to take advantage of RID.

Rather, RID is about Amazon.

It's no secret that all sorts of testing of prototype systems has been under way for all sorts of drone-based services via semi-autonomous and remote piloted aircraft. You'd have to be living under a rock not to have seen the stories in the last 5 years, last-mile package delivery being the most well-known.

While the FAA isn't going to explicitly say it, recreational drone users are not really top of mind here. We're pretty much annoying knots that have to be swatted away from time to time.

No, RID is not there to make Karen's harassment of you easier, and it won't because put bluntly, Karen is too ignorant and simple to take advantage of RID.

Rather, RID is about Amazon.

Would you support a federal law that says intercepting the RID signal from a drone for any other purpose besides "airspace management" is a federal offense?

Would you support a federal law that says intercepting the RID signal from a drone for any other purpose besides "airspace management" is a federal offense?
That is an excellent question; I don't see any reason for non-aviation people to need to know my location or flying habits. Anyone can listen to ATC interact with pilots, but that is much different. Since I was once a crop duster that had a habit of irritating some people, I have been sideways with ATC a few times and I wouldn't want the general public having any information on my activities.

Reactions: mavictk

Chaos is a good thing when you're dealing with stupid people, or should I say people doing stupid things. The reality is it will take time to see the benefits of RID; all of us pilots have had to make sure ATC is aware of our location and altitude to keep separation from other aircraft. Fly into the bay area; there are numerous airports and air traffic is usually heavy at all hours. No one needs an unseen drone potentially becoming a danger to other aircraft. Aviation is a little like sports; either play by the rules or get out of the game. RID is here to stay.

How is the airspace managed or separation maintained by knowing my location on the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_