DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mavic for beginners?

I literally seen the Mavic on. Videos and knew it was the one for me I had never flew one and I am amazed daily at how easy and user friendly it is.

Reactions: Masheen
No, it isn't a good beginner drone. Do like some others have suggested. Get an inexpensive drone to learn on so that you have some basics when the Mavic arrives. In fact, let the Mavic sit awhile if you don't feel comfortable risking $1000 or more on you doing it right. Don't try to fly it until you are ready and feel comfortable controlling a beginner drone.

I think the Phantom is a much better learning piece. It will show you what GPS and IMU do for you, and at the same time let you turn off the GPS positioning and learn how to fly ATTI mode. For whatever reason, they don't give us control of that on the Mavic at this time, even though we've begged for it. If the GPS malfunctions, the Mavic can switch right in the middle of your doing something critical and you need to know how to handle it if it happens.

The Mavic has a LOT of features available. Every one of them can fail. The more complex the software and firmware, the more places it can fail. A Phantom has fewer features, therefore less program code that can go wrong causing you to lose control.

I'm not suggesting you don't get the Mavic. What I would really recommend though is to get a cheapie learning drone and maybe a used Phantom 3 (they are no longer available new) to learn on. You will crash. The desire is to get most of that out of the way with the cheaper $50 drone and then move up to the more complex P3 to learn more sophisticated flying. After you learn the basics, have crashed several times, and have an idea of how to fly safely, order that Mavic and very slowly work your way up with it in beginner mode and further as you are more proficient.

Despite what some people say above, learning reverse control for when the drone is coming toward you can be quite difficult. I've flown several model aircraft over the years and have never gotten where I can trust myself to go the right direction when it is coming at me. Some people learn and don't have a problem with it, but some do have trouble and never get good at it. I've crashed every airplane I ever flew toward me.

Do keep in mind that the gimbal/camera assemblies are the weak/fragile items on the drone. It doesn't take much of a hit or drop from the sky to do a few hundred dollars worth of damage.

If you get the Mavic, get DJI Care (within 48 hours of registration) so you will be covered when you do crash. Obey all of the regulations for your country, and always think about what can go wrong and what you'll do if it does. This is no different than flying a real airplane. You have to train yourself to handle anything that happens. Stay away from people, etc.

A commercial pilot didn't learn to fly in a 747.

Let me just say this, yes a beginner can fly one of these, but don't think that since you can fly this one you can fly any drone, the Mavic is a awesome drone but it is basically a drone with training wheels, so if you ever decide to go from a Mavic to something else that's not a DJI product you'll be in for a rude awakening.

I'm a beginner. Mavic was my first drone and just got it 1 week ago. Just flying it indoor for 2 times.. and for me as newbie, till i write this, mavic is an easy flying drone, and quite 'crash proof' too [emoji23][emoji23] ..

Reactions: Masheen
I think it's a perfect beginner drone. I took it to my grandma's 80th birthday party and let all her old friends fly it. They all picked it up in no time, and had a blast. I just flew it away a couple hundred feet, up a hundred, and let them have at it.
Technology is exciting stuff when your an old timer.

Mavic is very easy to fly for beginners. It has a lot of safety features to make it tame. There are a lot of software settings on the DJI GO app that you'll want to understand to get the best image quality out of it. Also different flight modes and safety features can be enabled or disabled through the app.

It's a powerfully light aircraft like no other.

What i really mean here that i think DJI has made a good-quality drone .. Please ignore my 'crash-proof' quote .. [emoji846] [emoji120]

It's a fine drone for beginners. I've had half a dozen people try mine from T/O to landing w/o incident. Proper setup, checklists, planning, etc. are always the core of a safe and successful flight. Settings (as dewster says) are very important as there are many of them and their 'unintended and misunderstood' consequences are very many.

Great drone, easy to fly, but expensive to crash.

Well it's not only my first drone it's my first foray into RC anything. So far so good...but I am taking it slow. I do wish I could manually put it into atti mode so I could practice that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR