DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a widespread problem with RC signal loss?

Since the last fw update I've had lost signal and image transmission issues. Right now I could almost throw it farther than I can fly it before loosing signal. Yesterday I flew all the way out to 50 ft before it lost signal. The image transmission updates about every 5 seconds. Before the fw update everything worked as it should. [emoji35]

Sent from my SM-T280 using MavicPilots mobile app

Since the last fw update I've had lost signal and image transmission issues. Right now I could almost throw it farther than I can fly it before loosing signal. Yesterday I flew all the way out to 50 ft before it lost signal. The image transmission updates about every 5 seconds. Before the fw update everything worked as it should. [emoji35]

You on Android or ios?

Sent from my D6603 using MavicPilots mobile app

..or the fork lift that lifted the pallet into the cargo hold of a plane was not to gentle.

If the IMU is so sensitive to physical force, then we would need to calibrate it every time we had a hard landing, or it hit a tree limb but did not crash....Or the Mavic case was dropped a few feet to the ground...

Reactions: AyeYo
On my s7 edge the app plays up unless i switch to airplane mode.
I bought an iPad 2 wifi second hand, don't use follow me or need to update my home point in general but i do hook it up to my s7's wifi.
The iPad is much better all round imo.

On my s7 edge the app plays up unless i switch to airplane mode.
I bought an iPad 2 wifi second hand, don't use follow me or need to update my home point in general but i do hook it up to my s7's wifi.
The iPad is much better all round imo.

I'd agree with that. I love my Z3 to bits, once I got it dialled in it is rock solid. However, like all android devices you have to work that bit harder to get it working nicely. But I just love the portability factor. Ive also flown with my iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2 and there's no denying that it's definitely less hassle. They just work.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The IMU and it's calibration (should) have absolutely nothing to do with RC signal strength. This is obvious to anyone who has even a slight understanding of it's function.

Reactions: AyeYo

I was on the latest firmware as well. I had no issues prior to the upgrade.

I was also flying with my Galaxy S7 at the time, with which I've had frequent loss of video signal problems (I had thought it was a separate issue, but maybe not?).

AC = aircraft. Setting up the Mavic should have nothing to do with signal loss at all.

Also, here's a video of the incident:

At the start, you can see a green bridge in the distance - this is what I was flying towards, so you can see that line of sight was maintained at all times.
You can see the Mavic stop moving at 1:17 - this is where RC signal is lost and RTH is initiated.

Also, top left of the image is very blurry.

Reactions: BmrUpInTheSky
So, did you lose radio contact or video contact?

If radio then other than returning your mavic the only thing you can do is re-bind and try again.

Did you have clear LOS as my RC signal drops when i accidently fly behind our clubs tin shed but never drops out completely.

Both, actually, although video transmission loss is such a frequent event on Android that I didn't mention it until now.

I wonder if it's even possible to have video transmission without RC signal (and presumably all kinds of associated telemetry data)?

I should imagine you would automatically lose video if you lose RC connection.

Looking at your video i can't see why you would lose rc.
Did you have your phones bluetooth on?

Hi guys, I wanted to start this thread to discuss whether there may be a widespread problem with certain Mavic having RC signal loss, as I've seen a few threads on it recently and experienced it myself the other day.

My own experience: my Mavic lost RC signal when 14m away from me, whilst I had direct line of sight to the aircraft. My RTH settings weren't configured appropriately (my fault) for the environment and this resulted in a crash with significant damage - but it never should have lost signal in this situation.

My thread on the situation is here.
HealthyDrones log is here.
.DAT file is here.

I have raised a warranty claim with DJI as I believe the aircraft malfunction was the cause of the crash and subsequent damage, but no determination has been made yet.

Here are several more threads with similar stories:
Rc signal lost!!!
New Mavic having RC signal strength problems. Video fine.
13 min into flight 1st satellite signal drops then RC signal lost.
- I wonder if the GPS loss is related? I was flying in an area with poor GPS reception as well. I've seen other reports of the Mavic behaving unpredictably when GPS is lost as well.

I'm not sure if this is a related issue:
RC icon

These episodes of signal loss are occurring in situations where they really shouldn't be happening.

So is there a systemic issue at play here?

Healthy drones shows a map of a dense forest. Trees can heavily block RC signal and GPS.
have you tried flying in an open field? Looked at antenna orientation?

The IMU and it's calibration (should) have absolutely nothing to do with RC signal strength. This is obvious to anyone who has even a slight understanding of it's function.
Seems to make sense. But I've heard stranger things. Like how a faulty SD card can be the source of issues unrelated to recording images. Internal sensor conflicts can cause a variety of problems. The suggestions mentioned are worth considering and dismissing them arbitrarily may be missing a potential fix. It's also been posted that DJI warnings are sometimes not related to the actual problem.

Strange things can definitely happen, particularly in a complex series of interconnected systems like a drone, but so far no one has actually presented any reason for the IMU to be causing RC signal loss.

Ritualistic calibration of unrelated systems is no more logical than incantations and amulets IMO.

In my case it wasn't a warning - it was complete disconnection from the remote.

Reactions: Wacker2611
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU