DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a widespread problem with RC signal loss?

I don't think compass cal or IMU cal would do anything for the radio or video link.

Possibly trying a firmware refresh, or downgrade and re-install firmware on the controller and AC, would be worth a shot, especially since some reported issues after upgrading.

I'm on the latest .0400, and its working very well, maybe its not so much .0400 causing issues, as something going awry on the firmware upgrade process.

Reactions: idiogenic
I might try rolling back the firmware once DJI have made some determination of warranty status. Probably not wise to fiddle with it until then.

I might try rolling back the firmware once DJI have made some determination of warranty status. Probably not wise to fiddle with it until then.

Yes, I'd do the same, hopefully it won't be a long wait.

I don't think compass cal or IMU cal would do anything for the radio or video link.

Possibly trying a firmware refresh, or downgrade and re-install firmware on the controller and AC, would be worth a shot, especially since some reported issues after upgrading.

I'm on the latest .0400, and its working very well, maybe its not so much .0400 causing issues, as something going awry on the firmware upgrade process.

No one actually said the IMU cali would, it was taken out of context from my reply on my my new drone procedure and it has taken the the OP's thread OT.

I do not think it is wide spread.... I've had two Mavic units and both worked perfectly... What you see here on the forums is the problems, not people logging in just to say "I had a great flight today". Kind of the nature of these forums - you see the issues people are having, but not the hundreds and thousands of successful flights...
I've had my mavic for a week now and very happy and all flights have been great. Guess this doesn't help anyone though. :)

Still waiting for a verified issue in an Open Field. Open fields do not contain forests, sheds, homes, a parking lot, etc etc. Show the disconnect issues in open fields and I'll believe we have faulty products. Oh, and Android vs iOS is also a huge variable in all of these cases of disconnect. BTW RC signal to the controller is a different signal than the video feed to our video device, video signal can disconnect with the ability to control the Mavic with the RC, therefore the Line Of Sight recommendation. (out of sight = on your own)

Are you flying in airplane mode? I had lots of issues with RC disconnect when not flying in airplane mode.

Here's (supposedly) another example of RC signal loss: sunday flew my Mavic while diding my bike, to test some automatic modes. "Active Track" went all fine; then I wanted to test "Follow Me" mode. Went on for a couple of minutes, then got somehow disconnected. Went on to relauch Follow Me mode, got this strange "Aircraft too far" message (please see picture). This shouldn't happen at 50 m distance and plenty of satellites. Once I manually flew my Mavic closer (around 35 m), the app allowed me to enter "Follow Me" mode again.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

Attachments

• IMG_3222.PNG
    IMG_3222.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 56
Possibly "Follow Me" mode requires a close distance to be maintained between Mavic and Subject...

But it wouldn't make much sense, would it? For - as opposed to Active Track, where optical sensors are visually tracking the subject - in "Follow me" mode the aircraft just follows the GPS signal from the remote controller. And even so, 55m should definitely not be too far! Youtube is full with videos using "follow me" mode from much longer distances than that!

Just came back from a vacation trip to Costa Rica. One morning I was walking along the coast with my wife when I spotted a fishing boat, that's when I decided I wanted to take pictures and video of this boat. I flew little over 7,900 ft from where I was standing to this boat.
At a glance it did not look like the boat was that far, however when I launched the Mavic and flew to the boat for pictures and an orbit in extended functions I realized the boat was a mile and a half from the coast.

The whole time I had RC and Video signal and complete control of the Mavic. When I was done I decided to bring 'er back because of the winds and did not want to take any chances. What's interesting is that a park I go to about a mile from where we live I can't go that far without getting disconnected, no more than 1,500 ft. Clearly this proves the theory of wireless interference in the City.

At the time of the trip I was not running the latest fw, I was running the previous one. The latest release came out while we were on this trip, but did not updated until we were back in the States.

Still waiting for a verified issue in an Open Field. Open fields do not contain forests, sheds, homes, a parking lot, etc etc. Show the disconnect issues in open fields and I'll believe we have faulty products. Oh, and Android vs iOS is also a huge variable in all of these cases of disconnect. BTW RC signal to the controller is a different signal than the video feed to our video device, video signal can disconnect with the ability to control the Mavic with the RC, therefore the Line Of Sight recommendation. (out of sight = on your own)

I had clear line of sight to the drone when it happened to me, as you can see in the video. The other trees around should not play a role.

Also, man is DJI a PITA to deal with!

+1 one on not calibrating anything unless notified by the DJI Go App it was necessary. I've travelled back and forth between New York and California and haven't had any issues with the Mavic. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm doing the same (NYC to CA). Was it a simple procedure to fly with the MP, assuming you did of course. Thanks.

I'm doing the same (NYC to CA). Was it a simple procedure to fly with the MP, assuming you did of course. Thanks.
Yes, I flew Southwest. I had the Mavic, RC and 3 batteries in my backpack and carried on. No issues, very easy.

Hi guys, I wanted to start this thread to discuss whether there may be a widespread problem with certain Mavic having RC signal loss, as I've seen a few threads on it recently and experienced it myself the other day.

My own experience: my Mavic lost RC signal when 14m away from me, whilst I had direct line of sight to the aircraft. My RTH settings weren't configured appropriately (my fault) for the environment and this resulted in a crash with significant damage - but it never should have lost signal in this situation.

My thread on the situation is here.
HealthyDrones log is here.
.DAT file is here.

I have raised a warranty claim with DJI as I believe the aircraft malfunction was the cause of the crash and subsequent damage, but no determination has been made yet.

Here are several more threads with similar stories:
Rc signal lost!!!
New Mavic having RC signal strength problems. Video fine.
13 min into flight 1st satellite signal drops then RC signal lost.
- I wonder if the GPS loss is related? I was flying in an area with poor GPS reception as well. I've seen other reports of the Mavic behaving unpredictably when GPS is lost as well.

I'm not sure if this is a related issue:
RC icon

These episodes of signal loss are occurring in situations where they really shouldn't be happening.

So is there a systemic issue at play here?

Back on topic. I occasionally get a poor signal waring flying in the same practice area. Some days the signal is green and sometime red. Since the symptoms are not consistent, I can't say if there is a problem. I tend to keep the Mavic close when I see any warnings. There are many issues with battery, altitude, compass and GPS that can cause a crash. The remote can only announce a problem, it is up to the pilot to decide what to do.

Just to throw in my 2 cnd cents... which is like 1 American cent.. ;-(

I bought my mavic at rhetoric very end of January, it flew fine, never calibrated the compass or anything. Never a signal issue..... until the dji go app upgrade some time at the beginning to middle of feb. Literally every time I would get the error signal low, even literally right in front of me. If I did get it off the ground the signal still was bad until I flew farther away from me, about 100 feet signal would be fine. Not every flight but 3/4 of them.

Frustrated, I tried to put the s7 edge in airplane mode and every single flight has no signal issues, even at close up and 2 km away. Any time I do not put the phone in airplane mode it has the signal issue, immediately.
I bought litchi app to test out and, well, don't need to put the phone in airplane mode, Flys fine with no signal issues. So.. I came to the conclusion that something in the dji go app changed on an update a while ago, that either has the phone trying get to scan for wireless networks (wifi) and that interferes with the mavic controller frequency.

I cannot recall for sure if I tried to disable wifi only, I believe I had at least once, and that also solved the connection issue.

Another item that MAY be reponsible is that I tried to use wifi connection to the mavic to fly it, the evening before the first day I had connection issues. I thought that the phone was trying to connect to the wifi SSID of the mavic while using the remote, so I removed the saved SSID from the saved networks.... still had same connectivity issues.

Quick summary, since litchi app does not have the RC signal loss and really choppy video like dji go app, my suspicion is that something changed in the dji go app that has to deal with how it handles wifi on the phone, in my case samsung s7 edge.

The issue has happened to me very close and also far away where the RTH has been initialized due to signal loss, but only if I have forgotten to put the phone in airplane mode .
Any similar cases? Test it out let me know...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wottan
Hi @idiogenic and the whole community.

Leaving apart other issues that are not tight to the real topic, I can only share my experience and it is not so strong to determine the right option...but...maybe can help

I received my drone around December
Have around 100 flights. 20% dense skyscraper city area, 60% huge parks (1km per 1km size) but still inside the city, and 20% totally open space far from city
Operate always under Android (4.4) with a very old phone.
I started with the previous DJI Go app, and later moved to DJI Go 4
Always updated everytime APP and Firmware.

Once the general information is clear I can say as a conclusion that the behavior is pretty random:
A) Center of the citty, sorrounded by skyscrapers, I was able to fly 250 m without loosing signal nor video...but continuous alarms, but no lost RC except with a building blocking the line of sight (obviously) so then RTH and ok. Let´s say normal but stressing.
B) Big parks (really big, 1km per 1km and hence far from buildings or so) usually cannot fly farther than 250m without loosing RC. Trees? yes...pretty dense....always flying over them but with me under...no more than 250m for RC less than 200m for video
C) Same park with me over the trees (there is like a small hill in the middle of the park) Same range 250m maximum (really weird...clear LOS...and too low range, no changes with previous situation...and should be some kind of improvement!!!)
D) Open area far from the city (with no kind of interference and high in a mountain)....I´ve been able to have total control and video with 2.7km distance!!!!! and no single bar dropped. I decided to bring it back because I was terrified, but looked like it can go much farther.
E) Open area far from city, low (with no kind of interference) but with me in a valley (not a canyon, a wide valley) low range again...around 500-600m for the RC lost of signal
F) In the city again, in a big block dedicated to sport, many fields, Olympic oval, tennis courts, soccer fields.....with me i the center of a soccer field...less than 10 m, LOST OF SIGNAL.....WHAT???....

So what I´m trying to say is that is very random.

But my experience is that if you are sorrounded by trees, they are much much much more complicated than we think. They act as a kind of "dome" and make the signal get crazy with constant loss of RC signal....even having a more than clear line of sight with the drone. I do not understand anything at all about signal, but looks like if it rebounds on all of them and make the drone RC go crazy...That has happened to me in one of those huge parks trying to shoot some good scene. Didn´t lose the signal, but being following the drone at very low altitude (2m height) and just behind it (2m distance), constant red light for the RC and loss of signal alarm....really weird too....

It is hard to understand that a "toy" that cost 1200$ can behave that random.

Of course, as someone said, we are not going to see here thousands of owners telling us how good is going everything every day, but we shouldn´t find as many incongrouences like this or many others for this drone I think. This random behaviour make us stay stressed about using it thinking that who knows what is going to happen next time you flight...and this is not good.

Sorry for the extension and bad english

ADDED: Sorry....I forgot to say. Cannot state, but I´d say that turning the phone into Airplane mode, helps, but it is not the key. The 2.7km with total control and video were reached with phone totally on, and the other situations I explained, were randomnly experienced with Airplane mode On and Off, because I do not remember always to do it...but I´d say it can help a bit. But the issue that I still think affects more than we all should expect is that "dome" created by trees....

Last edited:
Reactions: Wottan and EsiMavic
Just came back from a vacation trip to Costa Rica. One morning I was walking along the coast with my wife when I spotted a fishing boat, that's when I decided I wanted to take pictures and video of this boat. I flew little over 7,900 ft from where I was standing to this boat.
At a glance it did not look like the boat was that far, however when I launched the Mavic and flew to the boat for pictures and an orbit in extended functions I realized the boat was a mile and a half from the coast.

The whole time I had RC and Video signal and complete control of the Mavic. When I was done I decided to bring 'er back because of the winds and did not want to take any chances. What's interesting is that a park I go to about a mile from where we live I can't go that far without getting disconnected, no more than 1,500 ft. Clearly this proves the theory of wireless interference in the City.

At the time of the trip I was not running the latest fw, I was running the previous one. The latest release came out while we were on this trip, but did not updated until we were back in the States.
Yeah a lot of people get good distance in open water. I haven't had any issues with mine yet I haven't taken it further than 3000 something feet but still plenty of bars then.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan