DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

Well, who's responsible for all this "misinformation"?
I would say DJI, but more on that in a moment...
I only know what I am being told. When I see the message DJI is forcing me to acknowledge in their app it's clearly telling me that I have to reactivate or I will be limited.
And here's where the misinformation occurs.

The message is written in very careful legal/marketing speak. If you read it precisely, do not infer anything at all, just stick to the words and their meaning that are there, you will see that DJI does not anywhere say you must update your GO 4 app. And, it only says you have to re-login if you update to the NEW app.

Yet somehow, so many people reading that wording come away with the impression they will have to update, and/or re-login regardless. It's easy to see how one might get that impression.

However, it's wrong, and is not in fact what the thing says. A careful reading makes it clear one can stay on the firmware and GO4 app version they're on without updating, and these things will not happen.

The only snag in this is many of us believe that only applies to firmware .400 / GO4 4.0.6 and older.

If it restricts me in anyway (and firmware .700 as opposed to say .500 does) and I cant get the freedom I had then it is inferior to the present product. No?
Irrelevant.

You agreed to these changes when you downloaded and installed .700. Have you bothered to read what you agreed to in order to access the newer firmware, install it, and use it? It's an eye-opener.

It basically says DJI can do anything they want to your drone, including removing functionality, up to and almost including making you bend over (the latter's a joke). You have no right to the work product of DJI's engineering staff; it costs millions of dollars to produce that firmware. DJI gives it to you free of charge. What they DO require is you give up some rights regarding your use, and action if dissatisfied. You are free to retain those rights -- and DJI is just as free to deny you access to their property (the firmware).

That, folks, is the harsh and straight-up legal landscape we're talking about here. You have a legal right to one thing only: The drone, with the original firmware, that you bought. DJI can't force your to update it. Only a government can. However when you do update voluntarily, and blow by that long scroll window of Terms and Conditions and press okay, don't whine when the other party comes knocking and says, "See? It says right here I can have your balls when I'm feeling mean. Didn't you read it??!?!?"

The only possible cause for action would be including some severely limiting functionality secretly, so you couldn't make an informed decision about updating. This is obviously not the case here -- DJI has been practically shouting about what's coming in these updates in terms of limitations. So that one doesn't wash either.

Irrelevant.

You agreed to these changes when you downloaded and installed .700. Have you bothered to read what you agreed to in order to access the newer firmware, install it, and use it? It's an eye-opener.

It basically says DJI can do anything they want to your drone, including removing functionality, up to and almost including making you bend over (the latter's a joke). You have no right to the work product of DJI's engineering staff; it costs millions of dollars to produce that firmware. DJI gives it to you free of charge. What they DO require is you give up some rights regarding your use, and action if dissatisfied. You are free to retain those rights -- and DJI is just as free to deny you access to their property (the firmware).

That, folks, is the harsh and straight-up legal landscape we're talking about here. You have a legal right to one thing only: The drone, with the original firmware, that you bought. DJI can't force your to update it. Only a government can. However when you do update voluntarily, and blow by that long scroll window of Terms and Conditions and press okay, don't whine when the other party comes knocking and says, "See? It says right here I can have your balls when I'm feeling mean. Didn't you read it??!?!?"

The only possible cause for action would be including some severely limiting functionality secretly, so you couldn't make an informed decision about updating. This is obviously not the case here -- DJI has been practically shouting about what's coming in these updates in terms of limitations. So that one doesn't wash either.

I agree with you 100%. Everyone who purchased the Mavic agreed to the TOS and no one was force to purchase the product. It meets all requirements, and I believe exceeds based on the subsequent upgrades, the TOS. How do you think people would react if DJI decided to remove all the additional flying modes, updates, bug fixes, if they did and then decided to no longer support the Mavic Pro? It's in their rights to do so at whenever they wish; there's no timeline that dictates that they need to continue support. It's happened with many other companies. For example Hobbyzone no longer supports the Blade QX nor the Chroma. I don't believe DJI continued to publish or support their Phantom 1 or 2.
It's their marketing decision and no one else's.

So much fear...

...You agreed to these changes when you downloaded and installed .700...
And where exactly does it say that?

...DJI gives it to you free of charge...
No it does not. I paid for a bug less firmware and it is not.... so I follow their updates that promisse to be bugless which again are not....

hence what you say there has no meaning.... Since the alternative would be I take DJI to court for selling me a defective drone in the first place.... ;-)

I'm not going to dig back through it, but it stated something to the effect of "if possible your drone will be returned with the firmware it was running."

However, it seems most folks just get a replacement. My comment was only in regards to the stated policy, not what actually happens.
Stated policy and what happens is 2 different things and it usually s the reason why companies go to cout ith consumers... ;-)

No it does not. I paid for a bug less firmware and it is not.... so I follow their updates that promisse to be bugless which again are not....

hence what you say there has no meaning.... Since the alternative would be I take DJI to court for selling me a defective drone in the first place.... ;-)

Where in the TOS does it state that the firmware is bug less? I've never seen ANY hardware or software company guarantee that the product is bug less.

Where in the TOS does it state that the firmware is bug less? I've never seen ANY hardware or software company guarantee that the product is bug less.
then they sell you a faulty product regardless why....

No company produces bug less firmware or software.

Can you quote the TOS or advertising or anything from DJI, that, specifically states that their product
"Promise to be bug less" , as you specifically state?

Name an electronic device even as close to the complexity of the Mavic that never does updates. I'll wait...

My TV, BluRay player, Xbox, Phones, PC, Laptop, video card in my computers all need updates with varying frequencies.

Cars need updates fairly regularly now for everything from the engine and transmission control modules down to the infotainment and door lock modules. Buying an electronic device with the assumption you will never have to update it is a bit naive.

I feel like you are either just a troll or just live in a cave.

Name an electronic device even as close to the complexity of the Mavic that never does updates. I'll wait...

My TV, BluRay player, Xbox, Phones, PC, Laptop, video card in my computers all need updates with varying frequencies.

Cars need updates fairly regularly now for everything from the engine and transmission control modules down to the infotainment and door lock modules. Buying an electronic device with the assumption you will never have to update it is a bit naive.

Well said

Just because I live in a cave and you live in open air. Can you tell me one company that does updates that render their product inferior to what they sold to start with? Including TV, BluRay player, Xbox, Phones, PC, Laptop, video card AND cars?

btw I do not live in Hogwards so there are no trolls around here

Just because I live in a cave and you live in open air. Can you tell me one company that does updates that render their product inferior to what they sold to start with? Including TV, BluRay player, Xbox, Phones, PC, Laptop, video card AND cars?

btw I do not live in Hogwards so there are no trolls around here

Just off the top of my head two of the major players in phones, Apple and Samsung, have both released updates that they have almost immediately had to redo because of bugs.

No it does not. I paid for a bug less firmware and it is not....
No you did not. Another person that doesn't read the fine print (in this case the Limited Warranty).

DJI spells out in great detail what they are promising in documents included. It's explicit that they are not guaranteeing a defect-free product (any more than anyone does -- appliance makers, car manufacturers, software companies to name a few), and in fact, they limit what they will be responsible for an for how long.

I'm actually starting to be a bit surprised at the ignorance generally among people out there, and the entitlement they seem to believe they have when purchasing a product that they generally never have.

Put very directly, you are not entitled to firmware releases that only contain bug fixes. Darn! Therefore, if a bug you're experiencing is fixed, you have to take whatever else is bundled in the release with it if you want the fix. Sorry.

And what happens when you go to download and install that new firmware? Why, you have to agree to another T&C (that you probably don't read) which pretty much absolves DJI of any liability for anything if you install the code. Sorry again.

I just love how these people never even bothered to read the original TOS and just clicked agree when they first got it because they didnt care. And now they are think that the new TOS somewhere says that DJI is going to ruin their Mavic. Suddenly they care. How do you know the first TOS that you agreed to didn't say they were going to ruin it? This really could be just a NFZ update and the TOS may be exactly the same as the first one you agreed to without even thinking about it. But you would never know if it was the same because you didnt read it.

No you did not. Another person that doesn't read the fine print (in this case the Limited Warranty).

DJI spells out in great detail what they are promising in documents included. It's explicit that they are not guaranteeing a defect-free product (any more than anyone does -- appliance makers, car manufacturers, software companies to name a few), and in fact, they limit what they will be responsible for an for how long.

I'm actually starting to be a bit surprised at the ignorance generally among people out there, and the entitlement they seem to believe they have when purchasing a product that they generally never have.

Put very directly, you are not entitled to firmware releases that only contain bug fixes. Darn! Therefore, if a bug you're experiencing is fixed, you have to take whatever else is bundled in the release with it if you want the fix. Sorry.

And what happens when you go to download and install that new firmware? Why, you have to agree to another T&C (that you probably don't read) which pretty much absolves DJI of any liability for anything if you install the code. Sorry again.
so you say that you buy a product and you are ok that the producer could eventually turn it to a brick hmm. ok....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15