DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is what DJI does with the Mavic legal?

It said it when I logged with the DJI go app.View attachment 13506
I use a tablet NO INTERNET - I fly away from home so no wifi - tab is for mavic only so there is no surfing at home or email or games - So I think "THINK" i will be safe so long as i never turn the tab on at home or in range of my home wifi as even if it picks up a wifi signal elseware i would have to tell it to connect and in 99% of cases have a password so it could never just connect to a random network "call home to the DJI mother ship" and tell on me lol

Reactions: wayy510
i really start to believe you are trolling. Evidence of what DJI has announced , and their threats of what will happen if somebody proceeds to update is here :

DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates

They say it clearly: "Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter" unless of course you re-login.

Do they leave you the option to not log in? No
Did they use any gun ? No

Try to think out of the box.
All the best

They still had the option to not do the upgrade. The update notice did tell them what would happen if they updated.

Reactions: Foxtrot Uniform
They still had the option to not do the upgrade. The update notice did tell them what would happen if they updated.
No because the current firmware/software has bugs they want to eliminate so they can use the product as advertized.....;-)

Hi All,
I read the official announcement of DJI and I tried to read through all 10 pages of this discussion and to be honest i have no clue what is going on. So can somebody pls explain in simple language what this all is about. Some questions i have:

- I live in Belgium and there are many restrictions here. E.g. Without permit the max altitude is 10 meter (Yes 10m!). So will this new firmware prevent me to go beyond 10m? Max in Belgium (with permits) is 90m. Will that be the new limit? Or does the new Firmware not care about this?

- There are many NFZ here and many controller air spaces. Same question. Will the new software prevent from taking off in a e.g. Class D airspace? Not allowed btw.

- When i go abroad, will the limits be adapted according to the new location? So in France, French rules will be imposed.

- Will flying with Litchi solve all the above? So is it linked to the firmware IN the drone or linked to the APP itself. In the later case Litchi should solve this (for the time being).

- bug free firmware does not exist and will never will; even not in nuclear power plant control systems. So we have to live with that. So does the new TOC state that we have to live with it (in a non legal language)?

If somebody can answer the above (much appreciated) i think a lot of less nonsens will be told, since i think there are more people with an opinion that have no clue (as i do).

Many thanks

No because the current firmware/software has bugs they want to eliminate so they can use the product as advertized.....;-)
Unfortunately it appears lately that the updates have been creating more bugs than curing. One of the reasons I do not want to update from .400. Its almost as if they teamed up with microsoft to do their software updates!

I mean no disrespect when I say this but I'm afraid that most (if not all) of your points are incorrect.

Bud

Ok I have a question that is bothering me for some time now...

When I ordered my Mavic I did so evaluating its abilities and reading and watching all the promotional videos of the company regarding its performance.

Now after a couple o months DJI asks for a forced firmware update that could restrict the Mavic even more and all that without my consent....

So here is the question. Can DJI do that? Take away abilities for which I have payed and which were decisive in my initial decision to go for the Mavic? Can they simply say "if you do not do what i say ill cripple the product you bought"?
Can they really legally change a product to something inferior to what I bought and get away with it?

Or is there a way to get them to refund me (and all users for that matter) the difference in dollars between the Mavic and a drone that can simply fly 50m away 30m up and has no cam costing a couple of bucks?

Kostas

When you activated your DJI Quad Copter for the first time you agreed to DJI's terms. You also agreed to their terms with every firmware update and DJI Go or Go 4 update.

It's the fine print that gets you every time. If you don't read all the fine print (which most of us don't) you are at the mercy of DJI and whatever they want to do since you do NOT own the software or the firmware, DJI does, and they can change whatever they want, whenever they want because you agreed to it.

Bud

I am afraid you do not understand what it means to advertise something and than selling something else. At least in civilised countries

I'm on .400 still flying fine even have wifi on to get maps. Only thing I do notice it will not let me look at flight records wants me to sign in. You all think it's fine but firmware coming is what is in question for me, I'm in no hurry

Go app 3 dots right top corner hold for a few seconds it will pop up

You can upgrade there as well but it will tell you what your on.

When you activated your DJI Quad Copter for the first time you agreed to DJI's terms. You also agreed to their terms with every firmware update and DJI Go or Go 4 update.

It's the fine print that gets you every time. If you don't read all the fine print (which most of us don't) you are at the mercy of DJI and whatever they want to do since you do NOT own the software or the firmware, DJI does, and they can change whatever they want, whenever they want because you agreed to it.

Bud
Apple tried "we own the software on your device" argument and lost in Court

You keep missing the point. When someone bought the mavic in the first place, due to software bugs, he had to update the software.
Ironically, it's you that keeps missing the point, as evidenced by your statement right there: He did not have to update the software. He can continue to use the product he purchased, just as he purchased it, with the bugs.

Which, by the way, he agreed to explicitly when activating the product. Which you'd know if you had read what you were agreeing to. Something that, had you read it, you could have chosen not to agree to and returned the product for a refund.

What this comes down to is you want something you didn't buy. You did not buy a drone with a guarantee of future firmware releases that only contained bug fixes. That's a fantasy in your mind, born of agreeing to license terms without bothering to understand them.

Apple tried "we own the software on your device" argument and lost in Court
Correct.

However where they are on solid legal ground is in their rights regarding any new software they offer as updates for download.

Apple device owners have absolutely no right to that software, and are bound, legally, by the T&C Apple requires in order to download and install it.

The situation here is no different. Why so many of you seem to think you have some claim, and some rights regard new software that DJI provides free of charge is where all the issues are in this particular side-argument.

You bought a product from DJI. That was it. You gave over you money, you got a drone. End of transaction. It is not guaranteed to be without defects, and DJI only provides a limited warranty for a limited time to address any defects, so there's no promise they'll fix anything anyway.

This is no different than every other product you buy, from simple silverware to complex devices like automobiles.

So, this idea that one has a RIGHT to a firmware update, and some vague set of rights as to what can, and can not be included in updates is just ridiculous. It's childish.

DJI provides updates that contain what DJI wants to put in them. There may be bug fixes and features you want, there may be features you don't want. Nothing is being forced on anyone. You download it an install is completely of your own volition.

I hear DJI firmware contains expiration dates. Simply not updating my work for a while but my understanding is that sooner or later you'll have to update. If I find one additional restriction, all 3 DJI products will be destroyed on video and sent to DJI in a box. I have a Typhoon H as well and don't have these silly issues.

You will still be forced to upgrade eventually. How do you not understand that?
And you are basing that on fact? Sure a newer operating system may not support current versions but how long until that happens? It may happen after the Mavics lifespan has expired. New device? There are still ways to obtain older versions of software. Sent back for repair? Again there are still ways of obtaining the older software. Don't be so sure it will have to happen eventually. By the time the current versions are unusable the Mavic itself may be obsolete

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78