DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It’s out… Are they nuts?

Part 107 regs don't allow you to use remote spotters to extend your flight range beyond your own line of sight.

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
@Phantomrain.org was being sarcastic. He is well aware of VLOS, like most of us - which makes the super long range of the M3 useless unless you travel to a country that has no VLOS rules.

I think the whole VLOS thing will be changed to Circles one day.
For instance I just paid 3 grand to do 150 circle radius or whatever the Math add up to. 🤪

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Capture the storm.

• Haha
Reactions: Droniac
@Phantomrain.org was being sarcastic. He is well aware of VLOS, like most of us - which makes the super long range of the M3 useless unless you travel to a country that has no VLOS rules.

Thanks. I posted that not for @Phantomrain.org in particular, but for forum members in general, especially new owners.

There's a common belief (supported by Youtube posts) that you're legal to fly well beyond your own sight if you have spotters downrange with cell phones. A year ago prior to studying for the Part 107 test, I understood that to be true. I'm just offering the rule so that others don't have the same misunderstanding I did.

(After all, if someone chooses to fly outside the box, it's good to know how big the box is.)

If you think the M3 is overpriced, you probably aren't the target market - simple as that. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. The Air 2S is a phenomenal value (I'm genuinely surprised it's as cheap as it is), is extremely capable, and that should not go overlooked especially for the average hobbyist. Same goes for those with existing M2P's.

Amateur film makers and professionals are chomping at the bit to get the M3 and I suspect DJI will sell everything they can make for quite a while. Initial reviews are overwhelmingly positive with many saying it's exactly what they have been waiting for. My local drone shop has a wait list a mile long already. For my usage, it's a bargain as it will open some new doors for me and there is currently nothing that competes with it even at double the price.

I think for the most part, if you don't see an advantage to the a 4/3 sensor (and what appears to be proper 5.1K oversampled 4K output) for your personal usage, save your money and stick to an Air 2S or M2P. That doesn't make it a bad value for those who have been waiting for something like this for a long time and whose usage can take full advantage of the upgrades.

With the new FAA rules here in the states, that’s an awful lot of money for a drone that will become quickly outdated unless they can add RID via software or firmware update. An add on RID accessory won’t permit flying BLOS if I’m reading the rules correctly.

Ordered mine this morning. Gonna sell everything else.
I think I'll ordered three, the limit they offer. May create a new account to order three more. Then I'll resell them for more money on the dark web once they become short supply.

Wonder what the battery charge time is?

The multi-charger still charges sequentially and has no discharge or storage charge functions, so I think a lot of people are going to be happier with a third party charger, just like with the M2P. Looks like it's a 65W charger (the M2P charger was 60W) so probably very similar times, if not slightly longer with the higher capacity battery.

What turned me off, even before I saw the price, was when I checked the specs.... seems they don't have the time or energy to convert the numbers from metric to standard.... but then over half the stuff they listed there, even if they did do the conversions, I would not have a clue what it meant... all written for some super drone nerds.
I do wonder if they aren't too fussed about the USA market? If the government decided to ban them for whatever reason why bother?

The thing about the metric system BTW is it IS the worldwide standard - I think it's only the US that differs. OK - the UK has some mixed up metrication, but we work perfectly happily in metric too.

Considering how long people have been waiting for Mavic 3 and given the price, I really expected a revolutionary leap in technology, not an iterative step-up.

DJI used to have the best in class in most features for a given price range. It seems Mavic 3 has merely fallen in line with their competitors in terms of price-performance ratio. And they aren't best in class in every field anymore.

It's a beautiful drone, if I were rich, I'd definitely buy one. But I'm a bit underwhelmed.

It’s only money.

I calculated that it will fly 9 miles out, If I'm correct, holly molly.
VLOS for Superman maybe
9.3 miles. nice though useless for anyone who obeys the law. The extra battery time is to allow for the extra range so when you lose signal you still have enough battery left to get you home from that distance!

It's a beautiful drone, if I were rich, I'd definitely buy one. But I'm a bit underwhelmed.
It’s only money.
Wish I was that rich!
A lot of rich people still watch their money, which is one of the ways they became rich.

You just don't want to get taken advantage of.

I would say the $319 bag and the $1200 RCPro are being taken advantage of.

With the new FAA rules here in the states, that’s an awful lot of money for a drone that will become quickly outdated unless they can add RID via software or firmware update. An add on RID accessory won’t permit flying BLOS if I’m reading the rules correctly.
BVLOS isn't going to be allowed under the new RID rules anyway. That shouldn't be part of the equation on whether or not to buy. This drone isn't going to be part of any major BVLOS missions anyway. At least not unless you're First Responder. The cellular adapter may be an interesting development.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez