DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's maybe just me?

And yeah it shouldn't annoy you if you run 1, 2, 3 or perhaps even 4 or 5 batteries, because there'll still be charge in the RC.
Is everybody actually getting that much time on their transmitters? I typically fly 2 batteries down to about 25% left in each and the transmitter is down to around 50-55% at that point. Maybe 60% tops if I don't spend any time on the ground with it turned on. I could get a third battery in, but by then, I'd be at a point where I wouldn't want to try to fly any more with what charge is left. But 4 or 5 batteries? Not a chance.

If you owned a car that constantly flashed a warning on the insturment pannel every two weeks,./."update needed return to dealer for repairs",you would trade it off in a matter of weeks,period! There's NO excuse for this drone,to be constantly updated. And when you do update it,you also get little "goodies" you didn't need or ask for!
Totally

1) If the horizon's a little off, fix it in the app. If it keeps moving or just can't be adjusted far enough, then get hold of DJI and warranty the thing already.

2) Correct, that's how USB works, at least for your Android devices. But feel free to give more details about the camera, and maybe we'll be convinced otherwise. .
Mine's a Canon like in this old video. a pal has a Nikon and manages to connect the phone and device without the device trying to charge the phone. Weird huh?

Reactions: Ron_Dog
The thread is starting to get a little silly. The title of the thread is "It's maybe just me?" with a question mark. I've concluded it's not just me, others have the same issues. Depending who you talk to, it's not annoying or it is annoying.

Next time I'm annoyed that the DJI-Wait app keeps bugging me with warnings to do firmware upgrades, ads for new models, I'll get this thread up on my phone (kept charged by the remote) to remind myself that it's not really annoying.

Same if I find I've got to constantly check that the gimbal has failed to auto level. Instead of being annoyed I'll shrug, "that's what happens when you buy a cheap consumer drone called the Mavic Pro"

I feel bad now for complaining.

If DJI are reading this

1) I'll now be worried that my drone could crash into airborne pigs and

2) Don't bother to attempt to fix these annoyances, instead spend time on firmware and app updates that give us wonderful new features like, er, erm, um

Is everybody actually getting that much time on their transmitters? I typically fly 2 batteries down to about 25% left in each and the transmitter is down to around 50-55% at that point. Maybe 60% tops if I don't spend any time on the ground with it turned on. I could get a third battery in, but by then, I'd be at a point where I wouldn't want to try to fly any more with what charge is left. But 4 or 5 batteries? Not a chance.

I think you just did the math to show that 4 or 5 is possible. Not recommended perhaps but possible. I am about 65% after 2 batteries also drawn way down, plus time setting up at first and reviewing images between shots. 4 batteries, for me, if that rate holds true should put me at 30% left. I doubt I'd go for a 5th but would make a small wager the RC would still be running after I did.

I fly 4 battries,back to back through mine,and the RC is at around 65%? There's something going on with your RC/phone? Maybe a bad battery in the RC?

I think it may have a lot to do with the device you are using to fly the MP? I always charge my iPhone up before heading out flying,and it seems to use about the same amount of battery as the RC. Maybe the RC is trying to fly the MP while also trying to charge your phone/pad? I dunno?:confused:

I think you just did the math to show that 4 or 5 is possible. Not recommended perhaps but possible. I am about 65% after 2 batteries also drawn way down, plus time setting up at first and reviewing images between shots. 4 batteries, for me, if that rate holds true should put me at 30% left. I doubt I'd go for a 5th but would make a small wager the RC would still be running after I did.
Yes, mathematically I could get the 4th battery in just as the controller hit 0-10%, if I do the setup and reviewing images that you mentioned. Without the setup between flights, I might be at 20% after 4 flight batteries, but that's still 10% below what you say you're getting with the setup/review.
I fly 4 battries,back to back through mine,and the RC is at around 65%? There's something going on with your RC/phone? Maybe a bad battery in the RC?
I think it may have a lot to do with the device you are using to fly the MP? I always charge my iPhone up before heading out flying,and it seems to use about the same amount of battery as the RC. Maybe the RC is trying to fly the MP while also trying to charge your phone/pad? I dunno?:confused:
65% after 4 batteries? I'm using an Android phone, not an iPhone. The transmitter is definitely charging my phone while flying. That's the way all Androids work apparently. So maybe this "insignificant" drain on the battery by charging the phone isn't as insignificant as some think.

Currently, it doesn't matter that much to me as I don't have 5 batteries for the Mavic anyway. But sometime down the road I expect to get more.

Maybe the RC is trying to fly the MP while also trying to charge your phone/pad?
Yes it does. I decided spontaneously to go out couple of mornings ago and checked my three flight batteries, two were fully charged, the remote was at 29%. My phone had been on overnight charge and would have been nearly full. I thought I'd get two flights but didn't :/

Some Android phones, mine included, can charge rapidly if there's enough current. I'd only been in the air for 15 minutes when the RC began generating battery warning beeps - much to the annoyance of passers by in the park.

I must look in the app to see if I can set the threshold for that or turn the volume of it down a little.

Good point, I'm sure the device will change things as well. Not just does it / does it not charge obviously but how fast can it uptake that charge. Tablet or phone A might survive only through 3 batteries, tablet or phone B might get through twice that.

I just broke down and bought a ipad mini 3..The RC charged my LG stylo 3 plus even if it was at 95% or more to the point my phone would say its over heating i could feel it burning up hot.. and the RC would drain itself of juice.. plus the crashing of the app now i have no problems it just works and works well.. still a shame though.

Reactions: Chris_L
RE: Forced updates.
I can't understand why some people have forced updates and others don't....
I've been a victim of forced updates when out in the field and couldn't fly till updated, both app and FW.
Happened a few weeks ago to a friend with a P3A. Has also happened with my P4 and Mavic.
I'm in AU but other operators seem to experience the same regardless of geo location and this can be incredibly frustrating and always seems to happen "in the field" !
I dont allow my device to connect to the net to avoid the issue but that mean I have to fly without maps.
Really sux!

The gimbal tilt is a real annoyance for me, too. I just record in 4K and edit/crop in post. No real need to render in anything other than 1080P (yet), so no loss in output resolution. Having to adjust angle in the NLE does irk me, though.

I like to go and shoot stuff spontaneously, friend rings up, "looks like it could be a nice sunset tonight", I grab my Mavic and the trip is ruined because the Mavic needs a firmware update or the DJI Go app needs an update (that's if I can get past the freakin advertising to get into the DJI Go app).

It's happened more than once and it happened again this morning.

It's a great drone but the software is terrible. The focus issue is annoying, the wonky horizon gimbal issue is unforgivable.

This morning was further ruined due to the remote being on 29% battery and rapidly running out because it charges up my phone, which was fine at 90% and didn't need a charge.

Anyone else find these issues frustrating?
Haha! Me too! Grabbed it last night to capture a great sunset and WHAM! Update time....45mins it finished and yep,,,the sunset waited on me!

I like to go and shoot stuff spontaneously, friend rings up, "looks like it could be a nice sunset tonight", I grab my Mavic and the trip is ruined because the Mavic needs a firmware update or the DJI Go app needs an update (that's if I can get past the freakin advertising to get into the DJI Go app).

It's happened more than once and it happened again this morning.

It's a great drone but the software is terrible. The focus issue is annoying, the wonky horizon gimbal issue is unforgivable.

This morning was further ruined due to the remote being on 29% battery and rapidly running out because it charges up my phone, which was fine at 90% and didn't need a charge.

Anyone else find these issues frustrating?

I stopped @ FW v01.03.0700. Just hit the "X" fly and enjoy. Subsequent updates add NFZ's and require a login to DJI, which I DO NOT want to do. You'll get a height and distance limitation warning. Just ignore it, close it, and fly.

Last edited:
How do you do this? What is your C2 programmed to do?

My C2 is programmed to Center Auto Focus.
I just tested it again and the gimbal tilts when pressing and holding the C2
button and rolling the roller wheel. You might have to roll it a bit more as just a few clicks might not be noticeable on your screen.

The thread is starting to get a little silly. The title of the thread is "It's maybe just me?" with a question mark. I've concluded it's not just me, others have the same issues. Depending who you talk to, it's not annoying or it is annoying.

Next time I'm annoyed that the DJI-Wait app keeps bugging me with warnings to do firmware upgrades, ads for new models, I'll get this thread up on my phone (kept charged by the remote) to remind myself that it's not really annoying.

Same if I find I've got to constantly check that the gimbal has failed to auto level. Instead of being annoyed I'll shrug, "that's what happens when you buy a cheap consumer drone called the Mavic Pro"

I feel bad now for complaining.

If DJI are reading this

1) I'll now be worried that my drone could crash into airborne pigs and

2) Don't bother to attempt to fix these annoyances, instead spend time on firmware and app updates that give us wonderful new features like, er, erm, um

In your original post you mentioned that you couldn't get by the freaking advertisement in the forced update. I am at .600 firmware and I get a message all the time to update but it allows me the privilege to ignore which I do. But the most interesting thing you mentioned, and it appears nobody else has picked up on, is the advertisement issue.
I had much the same scenario happened to me the other night, I wanted to go out in video the sunset. Turned on the RC, turned on the Mavic pro and turned on the iPad went into DGI go 4 and all I got was an advertisement, I had to either sign in or sign up. I could not remember my password and so I was not able to sign in so I had to cancel my flight that night. I was able to go to my PC and sign into the account and everything's cool after that. I still get the message that I need to update but I still choose to ignore. This wasn't a real big issue for me that night but the issue is, if I was planning to drive 30 to 40 miles to video the sunset and then have this happen to me by Lake Michigan I would've been very ticked off.

Flew yesterday for the first time is a little while and didn't update the firmware, after a few minutes it disconnected (from the phone not the controller) and there was a heli flying low in the vicinity. Was LOS but the mavic was far enough away not to be able to see which direction it was pointing so I just brought it lower and walked to where it was. Despite reboots couldn't get it to reconnect again. Once I got home I did the firmware update and everything's ok now, but I was a long way from home and didn't have a lot of time so didn't get the shoot I wanted.

In your original post you mentioned that you couldn't get by the freaking advertisement in the forced update. I am at .600 firmware and I get a message all the time to update but it allows me the privilege to ignore which I do. But the most interesting thing you mentioned, and it appears nobody else has picked up on, is the advertisement issue.
I had much the same scenario happened to me the other night, I wanted to go out in video the sunset. Turned on the RC, turned on the Mavic pro and turned on the iPad went into DGI go 4 and all I got was an advertisement, I had to either sign in or sign up. I could not remember my password and so I was not able to sign in so I had to cancel my flight that night. I was able to go to my PC and sign into the account and everything's cool after that. I still get the message that I need to update but I still choose to ignore. This wasn't a real big issue for me that night but the issue is, if I was planning to drive 30 to 40 miles to video the sunset and then have this happen to me by Lake Michigan I would've been very ticked off.
Is Litchi any better with ads? I've got it on my phone but have not used it yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin