DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's my turn, disconnect and lost :Edit Mark another up for pilot stupidity

MavicCF

Reactions
Well I guess its my turn.
Took it up behind our house and was doing videoing along some nearby cliffs. I had turned around and was coming back, and was about 4000 feet away and 397 feet ATL with the battery at 42%,(I was flying from a low point up into the surrounding hills and mountains) when it suddenly disconnected, no errors, warnings, or anything. One minute is was connected the next it wasn't. I'm assuming some kind of battery or hardware failure as I did my standard pre-flight checklist and checked the battery, props, etc. Anyway, never reconnected to the controller so I assume it just went down. I'm going to head back up now and look for it around the last know coordinates and see if I find it. If anyone wants to look at the log while I'm out running around, (I only pulled the txt. off so far) here it is. Phantom Log Viewer thanks in advance! -CF

It appears you descended below LOS and the remote controller signal disconnected. Your RTH altitude was set too low to clear the higher terrain.

Location1.jpg

Location2.jpg

Reactions: LaaLaa
Took it up behind our house and was doing videoing along some nearby cliffs. I had turned around and was coming back, and was about 4000 feet away and 397 feet ATL with the battery at 42%,(I was flying from a low point up into the surrounding hills and mountains) when it suddenly disconnected, no errors, warnings, or anything. One minute is was connected the next it wasn't. I'm assuming some kind of battery or hardware failure as I did my standard pre-flight checklist and checked the battery, props, etc. Anyway, never reconnected to the controller so I assume it just went down. I'm going to head back up now and look for it around the last know coordinates and see if I find it. If anyone wants to look at the log while I'm out running around, (I only pulled the txt. off so far) here it is. Phantom Log Viewer thanks in advance! -CF
C@@p dude how you get her back home safe

It appears you descended below LOS and the remote controller signal disconnected. Your RTH altitude was set too low to clear the higher terrain.

View attachment 37455

View attachment 37456
That is indeed odd, I wonder if I was having lag issues. On my screen I was well clear of all terrain/hills. No luck yet, I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
You were coming down hot and I'm guessing were about 60 feet from the ground where the log stopped logging data. I'm assuming you couldn't actually see the Mavic with your eyes since it was so far away. It's sometimes hard to tell exactly where it's located when only viewing it on a mobile device.

Reactions: gadgetman65
You were coming down hot and I'm guessing were about 60 feet from the ground where the log stopped logging data. I'm assuming you couldn't actually see the Mavic with your eyes since it was so far away. It's sometimes hard to tell exactly where it's located when only viewing it on a mobile device.
Your probably right, chalk another up for pilot stupidity:rolleyes:. Part of the problem is I just increased my descent speed by quite a bit (mostly for when I'm coming back from my long range runs) and I'm not quite used to it yet. Hope I find it as it does have some really cool video on it;). I have narrowed the search area down by quite a bit, I was searching only in the area directly around the Find My Drone coordinates and now, after looking at the KML, I think it made it farther up the hill before running into the trees. We'll see, hopefully tomorrow...

Reactions: cocolim
Only in sport mode.
It's a different parameter. You can be in Sport Mode, if RTH is triggered, the OA will be enabled, unless you've disabled separately.
I was flying with OA off, and accidentally flew behind a cliff. RTH was triggered, and since OA was on again, it rose another 30m to fly over the cliff and trees and returned. It was a scary 2 minutes while it was disconnected from RC.

Reactions: MavicCF
Is your OA disabled on RTH?
Sadly I had it disabled:(. I did have the camera shade on so hopefully the gimbal survived the impact, if it hit and stuck in some of the low scrub-oak it may actually have done pretty well. We'll see I guess.

Reactions: gadgetman65
It's a different parameter. You can be in Sport Mode, if RTH is triggered, the OA will be enabled, unless you've disabled separately.
I was flying with OA off, and accidentally flew behind a cliff. RTH was triggered, and since OA was on again, it rose another 30m to fly over the cliff and trees and returned. It was a scary 2 minutes while it was disconnected from RC.
Oh wait, is it separate from the main OA disable option? I'll have to check...

Under visual navigation, advanced settings. there should be a "RTH Obstacle Check". Not sure if you could see that parameter without AC connected. Some folks turn them off to avoid their Mavic setting stuck due to facing the sun.

Under visual navigation, advanced settings. there should be a "RTH Obstacle Check". Not sure if you could see that parameter without AC connected. Some folks turn them off to avoid their Mavic setting stuck due to facing the sun.
Yeah, I don’t know if I had it off, or if it’s just off because it’s not connected to the AC.

Last edited:
I just got a brain wave. What if we put stickers that glow with UV light on our drones? If it's in the forest/bush, shine a UV light among the trees and it'll glow in the dark!
That’s brilliant! I may have to try it out someday! The only problem (in my current case) is I don’t want to be up there after dark. We found this today along with lots of other sign. BA6E003A-AAC8-4830-9A04-19FF6782E35E.jpeg

sorry to hear about your loss :( I hope you find it! and can you get cell service out there? if so I would get a gps tracker ( that's why I got one cause by a few times that happen to me however I was luck I got gps back) anyways I notice this in your logs

09m 33s 1196.5 ft 8,101 ft Tip Cache Space Full

I would assume you have video cache on? that would cause lag and worst when its full too :( don't ask me how I know this! lol lol

also that is one thing I like about the dji goggles!! my tablet could be lagging bad!! BUT goggles run smooth!!

Last edited:
ohhh and you are running ios too!!!! and the newest go app4 too!!!! iphone? or ipad mini? or ipad?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman