DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping the camera pointing at an object

siwady

Reactions
Hello peeps!

Is there a way to keep the camera pointed at a still object (I.e. A storefront) and moving freely (up, down, yaw etc ...) while keeping the camera pointing at this position?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Mavic doesn't have a 360 camera, so no free yaw. Only mode that keeps camera pointed is POI.

Mavic doesn't have a 360 camera, so no free yaw. Only mode that keeps camera pointed is POI.

Thanks Strafe1

POI requires me to hover on top of the object which I can't since it's a storefront sign. I just wanna fly facing the sign and be able to do half circles and fly up and down while keeping the sign centered.

Litchi will easily allow you to do this with the "Focus" function. You can place the POI on the google map and the default settings will let you use the joysticks like normal but automatically yaw the craft to keep the POI centered. Keep in mind that the joystick inputs lag slightly more than in regular flight.

Litchi will easily allow you to do this with the "Focus" function. You can place the POI on the google map and the default settings will let you use the joysticks like normal but automatically yaw the craft to keep the POI centered. Keep in mind that the joystick inputs lag slightly more than in regular flight.
Great I will give it a shot. Does Litchi have tripod mode as well? I would like to take slow and smooth footage while doing this

Sent from my Pixel XL using MavicPilots mobile app

Great I will give it a shot. Does Litchi have tripod mode as well? I would like to take slow and smooth footage while doing this

As far as I know there is no tripod mode, but if you go into Go4 and dumb down (read smoother, more cinematic) the joystick controls then when you open Litchi you will have the same smooth controls. Also, if you are interested in waypoint missions, Litchi has a really fun website called the "Mission Hub" were you can preplan your missions. If you go to the Litchi website under the "Help" tab there is a very complete description of all the app functions. It is the kind of website that Go4 needs.

Oh no. I have had some problems. I use it mostly for waypoint missions and have run approx. 50 missions. Have had it not send the gimbal controls to the craft so it didn't center on POIs. App crashes after losing RC contact with the craft. Same kind of problems I have with Go4. Didn't mean to sound like a Litchi salesman, but it seemed this app would do what the OP wanted whereas Go4 didn't.

Reactions: siwady
Hello peeps!

Is there a way to keep the camera pointed at a still object (I.e. A storefront) and moving freely (up, down, yaw etc ...) while keeping the camera pointing at this position?

You could use spotlight mode in go4. Works fine as far as I experienced. Litchi should be fine, too, but I've already had some problems with holding the focus on an object. Seems that go4 is more precise in object recognition.

Reactions: siwady
Well what I want to do is the exact opposite of spotlight mode where I can move the Mavic around while focusing the camera on one point

But that's what spotlight does! [emoji4] don't confuse with follow me mode, there the drone follows a moving object. In spotlight you can fly around pointing the camera to the object you want to take ;-)

...what he said.

As far as I know there is no tripod mode, but if you go into Go4 and dumb down (read smoother, more cinematic) the joystick controls then when you open Litchi you will have the same smooth controls. Also, if you are interested in waypoint missions, Litchi has a really fun website called the "Mission Hub" were you can preplan your missions. If you go to the Litchi website under the "Help" tab there is a very complete description of all the app functions. It is the kind of website that Go4 needs.

Yeah, quite unbelievable that they didn't make an official user manual for DJI GO. It's easier for them and costs nothing to let the community figure out how things works.
We can feel lucky that we have (at least) such a user manual (kind of) for our drones...
They can learn a lot from the Litchi team...

Oh cool! Didn't know spotlight did that! I thought it keeps hovering while the camera stays pointing at a moving subject. Thanks guys!

Yeah, quite unbelievable that they didn't make an official user manual for DJI GO. It's easier for them and costs nothing to let the community figure out how things works.
We can feel lucky that we have (at least) such a user manual (kind of) for our drones...
They can learn a lot from the Litchi team...
Basically I agree with you, but there are plenty vids on YouTube where the features of go4 are to be explained [emoji4]

Oh cool! Didn't know spotlight did that! I thought it keeps hovering while the camera stays pointing at a moving subject. Thanks guys!

Both of you are right!

By default, it does keep hovering while the camera stays pointing at a moving subject. But you can move the mavic with your remote controller. In Trace/Profile mode, Mavic also control the position automatically(You can also use roll stick on the remote to circle the subject)

This is what it says in the manual for the Spotlight mode(Pg 19 in user manual).
Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 8.09.50 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigsweede
P.19; "...The remote controller can be used to maneuver the aircraft, but yaw is disabled. Using the left stick and gimbal dial will adjust subject framing...."
How can the left stick be used if yaw is disabled?
Does it mean the stick will not turn the AC but it will frame?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998