DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC Approval in TFR area OK?

Xitor

Premium Pilot
Reactions
There is a trail I would like to document end to end, but part of it goes through a 27 year TFR area. For grins I requested the LAANC and it was approved. Just want to double check that LAANC approval means I'm ok, even in this area. If you look closely you can see the areas I've requested and were approved.

1649509100855.png

The linked NOTAM below for the "T"FR does say, unless otherwise authorized by ATC and I have a LAANC ATC approval.

1649509533575.png

No, you cannot legally fly in a TFR. LAANC issues flight authorisation for controlled airspace, not restricted airspace. ATC, in this context, means DFW regional.

!FDC 9/2934 ZFW TX.. FLIGHT RESTRICTION. DALLAS, TEXAS.
PURSUANT TO 49 USC 40103(B), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION
(FAA) CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS 'NATIONAL
DEFENSE AIRSPACE'. ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY OR WILLFULLY VIOLATES
THE RULES CONCERNING OPERATIONS IN THIS AIRSPACE MAY BE SUBJECT TO
CERTAIN CRIMINAL PENALTIES UNDER 49 USC 46307. PILOTS WHO DO NOT
ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE INTERCEPTED, DETAINED
AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY PERSONNEL. PURSUANT
TO TITLE 14, SECTION 91.141 OF THE CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS,
AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN THE FOLLOWING
AREA(S) UNLESS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED BY ATC.

WITHIN A 1 NMR OF 325321N/0964835W OR THE CVE085004.8 UP TO AND
INCLUDING 1500 FT AGL EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

Guess I break out the 50 foot selfie stick 🤪 . Glad I posted, here. Would have been upset if LAANC said yes, but then got my drone taken away. You'd think they could make it smarter to recognize these areas - its a permanent restriction, not temporary, so you'd think it should be able to see it.

Last edited:

I like this one. Right in the middle of a LAANC zone, but if you dare, all the big guys with all the big guns will shoot your drone down for a little recognized ball game involving a golf ball under the name of PGA. The golf ball might be more hazardous to the drone since it can fight back. And this is a UAS only TFR. The reason for the TFR is security. Is it for security or for watching the game by a select few?

100 feet on the LAANC squares but this is for 400 feet since the drone might need to move out of the way real quick.

Is this normal for most stadium games? I haven't really paid this much attention to stadium TFRs that closely.

And a.goodyear blimp. Now there we go. A quad versus a blimp. Which One would win? Sharing the same restricted airspace.

Is this normal for most stadium games? I haven't really paid this much attention to stadium TFRs that closely.

Yes! Along with the GoodYear blimp there are probably a dozen or so sUAV covering the current PGA Championship (CBS Sports) in Tulsa. This is not only for the security of the players and patrons, but also the possibility of a national security risk(s).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705