DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

launch apprehension

farmboy999

Reactions
So I've gotten pretty good at flying and operating my MavicPro...however I still have anxiety/apprehension about flying with strangers watching my every move when I get ready to launch.

I'll drive to a nice spot I want to shoot...someone will be parked there, sitting on a bench, wandering around or walking by and I feel like I'm about ready to do a drug deal or something illegal and don't want anyone to see me.

Is it just me, or how long does it take... or how do you get over that anxious feeling? I know...I know...I should just do it.

Reactions: jointeffort
repeat after me. "flying drones is not a crime".. it's a natural thing for people to be curious - and it's cool and fun to watch people play with RC toys.. people have been doing it in parks and open spaces for decades.. I love going down to the lake nearby when the RC hydros are running.. they're awesome to watch.. now if people come up and start asking questions, that's when I get a little wary.. just from the distraction point.. so if they ask more then one or two questions, I just tell them I need to focus on flying.

Reactions: jointeffort
So I've gotten pretty good at flying and operating my MavicPro...however I still have anxiety/apprehension about flying with strangers watching my every move when I get ready to launch.

I'll drive to a nice spot I want to shoot...someone will be parked there, sitting on a bench, wandering around or walking by and I feel like I'm about ready to do a drug deal or something illegal and don't want anyone to see me.

Is it just me, or how long does it take... or how do you get over that anxious feeling? I know...I know...I should just do it.

I have the same issue. I have a few times but end up getting distracted by all the looky loo's and it is just unpleasant. I like to be in the zone with little to no distractions when I fly.

Hi. I'm a licenced commercial UAV pilot here in California. The way I understand it is.

To fly commercially (being paid) you must have a licence and follow many rules and regulations. We are practically grounded.
To fly over people you need a waiver.
To fly at night you need a waiver.
To fly out of line of sight you need a waiver.
To fly in controlled airspace you need a waiver.
Many more...
To get these waivers requires an application sent in to the FAA and could take 90 days to be approved. So yeh. As a photographer. These airborne photoshoots are a pain and almost not worth it.

now.. As a recreational flier. (Flying for fun, not profit) the rules are much simpler.
Do not fly in controlled airspace. (Within 5 miles of an airport)
Don't fly over people, don't fly out of line of sight. Keep it below 400 feet.
Just be responsible basically.

Here's what you do.
Download the AIRMAPS app. Check it before you fly. It will tell you if flying at your location is legal. And shows you which, if any airports are nearby. And provides phone numbers to the ATC (air traffic control) that control the airspace you are in. Many companies are onboard and sponsor AIRMAPS including DJI, Amazon, google, Intel and the FAA supports it.

It is legal to fly within 5 miles of an airport as long as you notify the tower. And is the safe thing to do so any planes or helicopters know you are their buzzing around. You are not required to ask permission. You are required to just let them know where you will be. Noone owns the sky.

Flying commercially. You need a waiver and inform tower
Flying for fun. You need to inform the tower if within 5 miles of an airport.

There's more.
If your drone weighs between 0.55 pounds and 55 pounds. Then it is required that you register your drone with the FAA. Registration requires a 5 dollar fee and you get a tail number to put on your drone just like every airplane and helicopter has.

If it is a public place you have a right to launch and take pictures of anything you want. Some places like some city parks have signs posted for no flying. Of course be respectful and follow the local rules of your city or town.
Launching from privately owned land. Obviously you need permission from the land owner or management.

Military airspace is a no fly zone..period.
National parks are no fly zones..period.
AIRMAPS will let you know.

I was in Marine Corps Air Station Miramar's airspace and even though its a military no fly zone. I called their tower to ask permission. The said they were happy I called. Took my coordinates , asked the time and height I would be and they happily granted my request. They also said that they would notify San Diego International Airport for me. Also. Since it was a commercial job they asked if I was licenced and had a waiver to fly in controlled airspace.
So I was good and legal.. Here's where I ran into problems. DJI is onboard with the FAA and with AIRMAPS so the drone knew I was in a no fly zone. The thing would not even launch...LOL

So in summary. Flying for fun.
Register your drone online.
Make sure you are not in controlled airspace.
If you are then notify the tower.
Launch and have fun!!
Stay below 400 feet. (Airplanes are required to stay above 500)

I have never been denied. They are always happy to hear from me. And if we all do this then they will begin to get sick of all these requests from drone pilots notifying them of a toy drone that weighs 2 pounds will be in the air below 400 feet. And will simplify the process for us.

If you do all this then Nobody. Not even law enforcement can tell you that you are breaking the law. Just let the police officer know that you are in legal airspace, your drone is registered, and you have clearance from Air Traffic Control. and that you are licensed (if applicable).you will not be breaking any laws. And will win your day at court if it came to that.

Remember. Noone can assume the right to privacy in a public place. You can photo or video anything you want.

Fly safe. Fly legal. Have fun!

I am a licensed commercial pilot and photographer by trade. I am not affiliated with law enforcement, the FAA, DJI, Airmaps, Amazon, Google, or Intel.
And am not a perfect person so could have forgotten a few things. But this is how it is, as far as I understand it.

Last edited:
Just relax and enjoy your hobby . You shouldnt feel like you are doing something illegal if you are not. Most people are actually pretty cool here in california
They are more interested and curious about the drone.. next time you are oit flying and there is people around block them off and mind your own business and fly safe .

Hi. I'm a licenced commercial UAV pilot here in California. The way I understand it is.

To fly commercially (being paid) you must have a licence and follow many rules and regulations. We are practically grounded.
To fly over people you need a waiver.
To fly at night you need a waiver.
To fly out of line of sight you need a waiver.
To fly in controlled airspace you need a waiver.
Many more...
To get these waivers requires an application sent in to the FAA and could take 90 days to be approved. So yeh. As a photographer. These airborne photoshoots are a pain and almost not worth it.

now.. As a recreational flier. (Flying for fun, not profit) the rules are much simpler. The one rule.
Cannot fly in controlled airspace. (Within 5 miles of an airport)

Here's what you do.
Download the AIRMAPS app. Check it before you fly. It will tell you if flying at your location is legal. And shows you which, if any airports are nearby. And provides phone numbers to the ATC (air traffic control) that control the airspace you are in. Many companies are onboard and sponsor AIRMAPS including DJI, Amazon, google, Intel and the FAA supports it.

It is legal to fly within 5 miles of an airport as long as you notify the tower. And is the safe thing to do so any planes or helicopters know you are their buzzing around. You are not required to ask permission. You are required to just let them know where you will be. Noone owns the sky.

Flying commercially. You need a waiver and inform tower
Flying for fun. You need to just inform the tower.

There's more.
If your drone weighs between 0.55 pounds and 55 pounds. Then it is required that you register your drone with the FAA. Registration requires a 5 dollar fee and you get a tail number to put on your drone just like every airplane and helicopter has.

If it is a public place you have a right to launch and take pictures of anything you want. It is public. Launching from privately owned land. Obviously you need permission from the land owner or management.

Military airspace is a no fly zone..period.
National parks are no fly zones..period.
AIRMAPS will let you know.

I was in Marine Corps Air Station airspace and even though its a military no fly zone. I called their tower to ask permission. The said they were happy I called. Took my coordinates , asked the time and height I would be and they happily granted my request. They also said that they would notify San Diego International Airport for me. Also. Since it was a commercial job they asked if I was licenced and had a waiver to fly in controlled airspace.
So I was good and legal.. Here's where I ran into problems. DJI is onboard with the FAA and with AIRMAPS so the drone knew I was in a no fly zone. The thing would not even launch...LOL

So in summary. Flying for fun.
Register your drone online.
Make sure you are not in controlled airspace.
If you are then notify the tower.
Launch and have fun!!
Stay below 400 feet. (Airplanes are required to stay above 500)

I have never been denied. They are always happy to hear from me. And if we all do this then they will begin to get sick of all these requests from drone pilots notifying them of a toy drone that weighs 2 pounds will be in the air below 400 feet. And will simplify the process for us.

If you do all this then Nobody. Not even law enforcement can tell you that you are breaking the law. Just let the police officer know that you are in legal airspace, your drone is registered, and you have clearance from Air Traffic Control. and that you are licensed (if applicable).you will not be breaking any laws. And will win your day at court if it came to that.

Remember. Noone can assume the right to privacy in a public place. You can photo or video anything you want.

Fly safe. Fly legal. Have fun!

I am a licensed commercial pilot and photographer by trade. I am not affiliated with law enforcement, the FAA, DJI, Airmaps, Amazon, Google, or Intel.
And am not a perfect person so could have forgotten a few things. But this is how it is, as far as I understand it.
I'm not sure if I understand some of things you stated. i.e. your statement about all public spaces been ok to launch from is just not true. Lots of public lands have restrictions on what you can and cannot do such as city parks, state parks, BLM, wilderness areas, etc. The FAA doesn't own the sky, it regulates it, and there have been successful lawsuits against the government about expectation of privacy and property rights that extend at least some measure above a persons property.

also, I don't think you meant it this way, but you made it sound as if recreational flyers have but one rule? but they have many the same ones we Par1 107 pilots do.. i.e. no flying over groups of people, no higher then 400ft, maintain line of sight, no flying at night, etc. The difference is with Part 107, you can get exceptions to those, which yeah, is a pain to wait, but much better then the process under previous 333 rules, and the FAA is planning on allowing BVLOS, night flying, flying over people, soon, and without waivers, but only for certified pilots.

Also, and it depends on what you define as Military airspace, if you mean over military airfields, then yes, but there are vast MOA's all over the country where the FAA has said the following "If the restricted area is not active and has been released to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the ATC facility allows the aircraft to operate in the restricted airspace without issuing specific clearance for it to do so"

so it's not always simple, you have to learn how and where to get the information, and to educate yourself with the correct information. A good chuck of that can be found in these three websites

Fly for Fun
Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Or just have some common sense, follow the below 400 feet rule, LOS (line of sight), use an app to show restricted areas and have fun.....

Reactions: BIGSTALKS
rnewman34..You are correct. Launching from public land is legal except from areas with posted signs.. "No drone zones" ... and recreational fliers should always be responsible and fly safe. (No flying over people , flying at night, etc..)
I was just trying to simplify things cause the post is to long already. He he
I'll edit a bit.

Reactions: rnewman34
Or just have some common sense, follow the below 400 feet rule, LOS (line of sight), use an app to show restricted areas and have fun.....
but if you use those apps, without understanding the various rules around what is controlled vs uncontrolled airspace, the difference between an advisory, a TFR and a Class G airspace, you may as well just flip a coin. The problem is these apps all show by default, every school, every government office, every state office, hospital, heliport, private airstrip etc, and if you live, or intending to fly in a populated area, it's pretty tough to just look at a map with all those overlapping layers and make heads or tails of it..

here's an airmap view of the bay area, what you cannot see zoomed out at this level, are the hundreds of advisories and smaller restricted areas in and around the most populated areas.

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 3.50.47 PM.png

Yeah. I am in San Diego and we are practically grounded. You can turn off all those extra no drone zones in the app. I agree its hard to look at. For the most part. If you are respectful to others. Fly in a safe manner then noone gives a darn what you are doing. Most people here in California are very relaxed and think its cool. But if you end up being sued for whatever reason. Its nice to know if you were perfectly legal or not. I have never had a problem flying my drone. Just keeping it away from folks and being respectful. They respect me back. I have had more problems with just my regular camera. People hate cameras.

Last edited:
talk about hijacking a thread...wow.o_O Is there a shrink on here...i need head advice..not technical.

Ya think..
IMG_7738.GIF

I
talk about hijacking a thread...wow.o_O Is there a shrink on here...i need head advice..not technical.

Lol I'm just so annoyed at all these rules and regulations. Needed to just sit and write...I have lost a lot of money trying to be a law abiding citizen and turning down many photoshoots. All I had to do was put the drone up for ten minutes.. Take a few pictures and make money. No one would even see me or the drone. No planes zippin around to hit. It would he perfectly safe. But doing my best to obey. To my understanding. The FAA is due to release more lenient rules for what they call micro drones. (Drones under 5 pounds). Hope that happens soon.

What are we to do ?because the OP is right. I too feel like I'm breaking laws sometimes. knowing for sure if you are in the right is a good feeling.

The OPs original question. " how do I get over that anxious feeling?"
Know the rules. Know if you are legal. If you are perfectly legal then that anxious feeling will go away..

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daly_mail