DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lets play a little game. I will post two pictures taken of the same location/subject, from Mini 2 and Mini 3, and you guess which is which.

shadow3467

Reactions
I just want to see if the quality difference in the photography of both drones is noticeable by most people (should be since the price is double)

Alright here is test #1

Attachments

• MINITESTttttt-1.jpg
    MINITESTttttt-1.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 217
  • MINITESTttttt.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 222
Reactions: Stach
The video is tougher because the drone isn't in the same spot and YT is going to degrade the file but I'd say 1 is 2 and 2 is 3. It's based solely how washed out the sky and sun look in the first one.

If I'm wrong, the mini3 isn't worth it.

Reactions: Lastrexking
This thread reminds me of going to an optometrist..."1 or 2? 3 or 4? About the same..."

I would guess that picture 1 is the mini 2 and picture 2 is the mini 3.

Is it that obvious, they're so close to my eye
Without cheating.... when you zoom into the pictures, there is much more detail and less noise in the photo on the right.

An interesting experiment.

My take - whilst there is a noticeable difference when you're looking for it, both of the drones do a remarkable job for their size. Imagine having this technology when the first Phantom came out (not so long ago). It would have been mind blowing.

I just want to see if the quality difference in the photography of both drones is noticeable by most people (should be since the price is double)

Alright here is test #1
The 4 x 3 perspective image looks sharper to me (the file name with no number). However worth mentioning that the Mini 2 was already fairly good for photography in good light settings. The improvements with the Mini 3 are going to be mainly in video, and in photography the differences will be most apparent in edge cases, e.g. poor lighting, overcast days, recapturing details in shadows etc.

The video I'm fairly certain the mini 3 is Video 2, since it's better quality. Most apparent when the sun comes in and breaks up the image. Also the flare with the small green spot is characteristic of Mini 3 not 2.

Overall though it's a good demonstration that the differences between the two drones are only marginal.... overall it's selecting the right lighting conditions and right composition, subject etc that will have the bigger impact on the quality of your output.

Mini 3 does have some additional improvements that can matter, for example being able to shoot AEB with 5 images rather than the 3 of the Mini 2 can be important if you rely on AEB mode.

Last edited:
The mini 3 versus mini 2 isn’t all about video / photography and price. As one person said, “it’s like choosing between best and worst lenses when getting your eye Rx”. We are now comparing something that is already so finely tuned it really is hard to choose a winner without some analysis 🧐.

I’m currently vacationing the Canadian Atlantic provinces and I’m capturing shots on my mini 2 that are so awesome be it stills or video. Orbiting shots, shots from altitude, and the list goes on…fantastic. I must say, I do love the challenge of trying to tell the difference between the mini 2 and mini 3, but they both are amazing performers.

When I return home to the West Coast of Canada at the end of this month I will be waiting for my new mini 3 pro scheduled for delivery mid July. Then I can make my own personal comparisons. Mostly, I love the size of the minis for travel, flying performance…and their reputation for photography precedes itself.

Just in case you wonder why I bought a mini 3? One, I’m OCD about having the latest design. Two, I sold my air 2S for the smaller mini3…which is a mini version of the air 2S with very similar characteristics. I will keep the mini 2 and use the mini 3 for those risky areas where OA is really appreciated.

BTW, try sitting a group down to view a slide show of your vacation versus videos taken from all angles, heights, and distances with superb quality and then YOU tell me the difference. 🧐

Thanks for letting me share my take on comparisons. 👍

Reactions: Carll
The pic on the right has sharper detail.
Why?: The third front silo, of the five, has a small (looks like) window at the side top which is much clearer in pic #2 then in pic #1

Reactions: Stach
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J