DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi question.

MavicKhan

Reactions
I am having a ball with Litchi. :D

I am using the technique described here, make 2 twin missions, the first one with just the waypoints and the camera facing forward so I can make a "dry run" to see if everything is as planned, obstacle-wise and the a second one, with the focus points, speeds and remaining settings dialed in for the "recording" run.

I can't tell you enough how great it works, how it is making exactly what I need. :p

I ran into something odd, though...

With a general speed set for the mission the waypoints show "Cruising" as the default speed for that waypoint. We can then override that default speed by dialing-in a required one at that specific point.

I started to play with this functionality in the last mission I planned, setting 10 Kms/h as the default speed for the mission and then dialing in 15 Kms/h at two of the mission's waypoints.

When playing the mission the app generated a pop-up advisory, informing me that those manually dialed-in speeds were active in some points on the mission and that, if connection to the controller was lost, the mission would continue with those speeds.

This means that the mission "recognized" the dedicated "speed points" and that they were uploaded as part of the whole mission.

The controller was "in range" the whole mission. Still, at those points, the Mavic did not accelerate to the required speed :(

Any ideas what might be happening?

Thanks.

FK

I tried using the technique shown in that video and followed the instructions to the letter, but all my waypoints came out with the same height in Litchi ie no adjustment for the terrain at all

They do come up with correct HAT (Height Above Terrain) at each point. Did you use the "Relative to Ground" option in the path "Altitude" tab? Check again.

The only thing is that there's no height adjustment capability at each individual point in Google Earth's (GE) path. You should choose the average height you want you mission to be flown in and then use the "zoom-in-into-3D" feature of GE to figure out if in-between points that chosen height clears the ground at an acceptable/safe level.

You then export the kml file into Mission Hub and, while still x-checking with GE, adjust the actual height at each waypoint (using the great info provided by Mission Hub, ie, ground elevation at that point and elevation above first waypoint) and create intermediate waypoints, if needed for safer climb/descent paths (the intermediate waypoints will be initially generated with the proportional average height between the previous and next point, at the proportional distance).

It works superbly. I will try to convert and post a straight-out-of-camera video from my final test mission in anticipation for the first "real usage" I will be doing in an upcoming trip to S.Miguel, Azores (...if the wind will allow for the Mavic usage, that is :rolleyes:...).

The video really highlights what can be done with the Mavic+Litchi, with a good knowledge and apt planning.

MK

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigpoppapump
Can you create a mission on iOS iPad or apple computer that will work successfully on a Nvidia android os?

I am not a Mac user but it seems that Google Earth is available for Mac and so is Mission Hub.

Litchi is certainly available for Android (although the Android version does not feature the VR functionality)

So, I can't think of reason why it wouldn't work successfully with the Nvidia.

MK

Here's the last test I mentioned, only edited on the final part of the flight back across the bay, for brevity purposes. That first run confirmed that I would stay well clear of them.

The usefulness of that first "dry run" twin mission I mentioned with the camera always facing forward for validation purposes is illustrated by the cranes located behind the "cubes" building, cranes that couldn't be considered during the planning stage, because I did not know they were there.

Also the "proximity feeling" passing that very same building could also only be attained by the focal length of the Mavic lens plus checking if the distances were safe on that first dry run.

Once the safe path is validated on that "dry run" flight, one can focus on the image being recorded on the second twin flight with every functionality enabled so that the need for adjustments in a possibly required third flight are duly noted.

This test also allowed me to identify some possible tricks and validate others, namely how the target exact aiming point on a focus point should not be dead-center but rather skewed to left on counterclockwise curved pass or to the right on a clockwise one or how overfly over an focus point coming from another focus point in a close proximity waypoint can cater for a real cool "twisting" shot.

MK

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusty3
Is litchi really worth spending the $24.99 compared to the free DJI app? Also how good does the FPV using Google goggles look/work?

Is litchi really worth spending the $24.99 compared to the free DJI app? Also how good does the FPV using Google goggles look/work?

I use Litchi 90% of the time . I bought it the 2nd day I had the Mavic at the 1st part of January and have had no issues . The 360 Panorama feature works great as do the waypoints . The FPV looks good in my VR One goggles but I don't use them that much . Well worth the price IMO

I have to use litchi on my nvidia k1 as go4 crashes every couple of minutes not had any problems with litchi did my first way point mission the other day all going well until it started to desend into the ground paused flight I had put a minus in on one of my way points I would pay just for the way point missions just treble check them before flying .

I have to use litchi on my nvidia k1 as go4 crashes every couple of minutes not had any problems with litchi did my first way point mission the other day all going well until it started to desend into the ground paused flight I had put a minus in on one of my way points I would pay just for the way point missions just treble check them before flying .
I hear you, I love the waypoint missions. You do have to be careful before starting the mission.

Here's the last test I mentioned, only edited on the final part of the flight back across the bay, for brevity purposes. That first run confirmed that I would stay well clear of them.

The usefulness of that first "dry run" twin mission I mentioned with the camera always facing forward for validation purposes is illustrated by the cranes located behind the "cubes" building, cranes that couldn't be considered during the planning stage, because I did not know they were there.

Also the "proximity feeling" passing that very same building could also only be attained by the focal length of the Mavic lens plus checking if the distances were safe on that first dry run.

Once the safe path is validated on that "dry run" flight, one can focus on the image being recorded on the second twin flight with every functionality enabled so that the need for adjustments in a possibly required third flight are duly noted.

This test also allowed me to identify some possible tricks and validate others, namely how the target exact aiming point on a focus point should not be dead-center but rather skewed to left on counterclockwise curved pass or to the right on a clockwise one or how overfly over an focus point coming from another focus point in a close proximity waypoint can cater for a real cool "twisting" shot.

MK
Most impressive. What was the longest distance from your home point in the flight - and- what flight speed were you using, assuming the speed was constant?
When flying low over the boat mooring harbor, you might watch for taller sail boats that may have come in since you setup the mission. Nearly happened to me once! I flew really close to the top of a mast... Beautiful city...

Hi,

Maximum distance was about 1.5 Km. The pre-programmed speed was 13 Km/h but I selected a higher tactical speed at 2 of the points and that was exactly the problem that triggered this thread: In spite of always having been in contact with the controller, the tactical speeds did not kick in at the specified points. I am trying to figure out why.

The masts in the harbor and their random positions are addressed in 2 steps: Firstly, with height selections in the area that will clear most masts (remember, the specific focal length of the Mavic camera makes things look much closer than they actually are). Secondly, that is precisely what the first twin dry run serves for. To verify, on location, if the planning was suitable for the actual conditions.

MK

Litchi is certainly available for Android (although the Android version does not feature the VR functionality)

MK

VR function works fine on my Android. SG7 Edge
I used this for the first time yesterday. I'm not an fpv flyer, but wanted to test it out in a VR headset. I thought it was very impressive

Might be a silly question but does Litchi load the flight plan into the mavic or does it use the phone to control the mavic based on feedback of gps position etc?

It definetly loads it up to the Mavic because there's the option for the mission to continue if contact with the controller is lost.

However, it still communicates with the controller throughout the mission because, for instance, we are warned that tactical speed changes (speed changes different from the base one for the mission) at waypoints will be unavailable if contact is lost.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31