DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looks Like I'm Back

I've been around for a while, mainly on the commercial drone forum. The question is how many of you are using DJI googles?
I have been using the old style racing goggles since they came out. It’s very difficult for me now to fly without them. It gives you more attention to detail and more of a perspective when taking photos. I did have a two week learning curve.

I have been using the old style racing goggles since they came out. It’s very difficult for me now to fly without them. It gives you more attention to detail and more of a perspective when taking photos. I did have a two week learning curve.
I think that is what I'm experiencing, a bit of trouble getting used to them. I like them, but I'm also custom to being about to see my surroundings.

Well, welcome back! You were flying a Mav 3, what are you flying now, same?
I have a Mavic 2 Pro that I use for mapping and an Inspire 2 that I seldom use. The camera on the Mavic is just incredible., at times blows my Nikons away, but I'm no professional photographer.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Welcome back, we've missed you over on the Commercial Forum.
Thanks for the welcome back. Yes I'll be hanging out there as well. Client really twisted my arm and I do love doing it.

To all those who I didn't respond to, thank you for the warm welcomes.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro that I use for mapping and an Inspire 2 that I seldom use.
I cannot find much info about the Mavic 2 Pro… DJI does not list it in the download database.

I understand that the Mavic 2 series products were discontinued through all DJI official sales channels. If you need parts or service, you may check for local retail stores at this link…

and see it any Mavic 2 series products are still available.

However, this is the link for all the downloads for your Inspire 2, including the User Manual…

Good Luck…

Reactions: wjkrysak
I think that is what I'm experiencing, a bit of trouble getting used to them. I like them, but I'm also custom to being about to see my surroundings.
If you do get used to them what will eventually happen you’ll be unable to fly without them like me it’s very challenging for me to fly without the goggles now. however, I am able to get great video footage.

I've been around for a while, mainly on the commercial drone forum. The question is how many of you are using DJI googles?
It really depends on the drone. The two drones I always fly with Goggles are the DJI FPV and DJI Avata. I could not imagine flying either drone without Goggles. I'm also totally sold on flying the Avata with the Motion Controller 2, and oddly enough I would never consider a MC with the FPV.

The whole Air / Pro series though I fly with no Goggles, and I think the reason is that these are more cinematic drones, and I often use either a hyperlapse, waypoint, quickshot, or other pre-programmed flight path and then I just want really good VLOS while making sure the shot comes out great.

One of the big downsides of flying with Goggles is you need a visual observer.

I suppose it depends on what you are shooting. I do a fair amount of mapping and obviously don't want to use goggles for that. I also do a lot of videos and stills in the Sierra Mountains and the old mining towns, and I find the goggles excellent for those purposes. I have found a way to fly legally in the NP or should I say just Yosemite so far. I approached the park superintendent and told him I wanted to do some backcountry documentaries, showed my 107 license and insurance and he sectioned off areas where I could fly with specific dates. It's amazing what one can accomplish by just asking. I did learn one thing, my horse doesn't like drones, so I don't recommend attempting to fly your drone from a horse it can be painful. Some of the old mines are too dangerous to go into, I'm wondering about flying the Mavic into the mines.

Reactions: James in the Desert
Some of the old mines are too dangerous to go into
Some of our other members have gone "spelunking" and you might want to search for videos made in caves and mines…

Things to consider, you will lose telemetry (video and control…) with the drone un-expectantly (pass a corner, get too deep, too much ore, etc…), and your drone will lose GPS very quickly and then there is no RTH. And unlike your favorite caves like Mammoth Caves, there are no lights inside…

And as you mentioned, "Some of the old mines are too dangerous to go into"

My first duty station in the Air Force was at Luke AFB, west of Phoenix, in the early 1970's, and I as well as numerous friends enjoyed the danger of exploring the old mines in the mountains up on the Mogollon Rim. We were young and stupid and went in mines we never should have. (one flashlight, no provisions, no one knew where we were…) Yeah, Stupid…

Reactions: RPerry
You are right, drone in a mine is a bad idea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech