DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Losing patience with mavic

Ok then, just making sure all bases were covered.

You def seem to have the classic soft focus corner. I’m not sure I would just live with it, especially knowing what the Mavic is capable of.

I know it’s easy for me to say since I don’t have the issue but if it is still under warranty I’d send it back while you still can.

Do it while the weather’s nasty and you won’t miss it that much.

Hate, that you got an issue. I’ve been fortunate not to.
I was very hesitant to buy the Mavic after seeing so many problems with images that were soft on one side or ones that looked like watercolor paintings. Many folks were blaming the operator for things which were clearly defects in the product. Seems like most of the early problems have now been fixed with better quality control but still some bad ones get through. I was lucky enough to get a good one. My images are sharp across the whole frame without any post processing. Hope the OP can get a good replacement.

Are you taking the pictures and videos from your tablet?? Or the sd card? I know someone who didn’t realize that the tablet will cache the low quality version of your videos and photos but the good stuff is on the sd card. Also, do you have your Mavic set on “continuous focus”?
Taking files off the SD card. ;)

No I don't have on continuous focus as tend to take mostly video and it ruins the shots if it focuses at a point you can't edit out.

I've resigned myself to the fact it's not something I can fix with settings and going to send it in soon.

Callum i dont think it autofocuses again after u start recording .....atleast it never does for me. Only when flying around not recording....and im cool with that

Callum i dont think it autofocuses again after u start recording .....atleast it never does for me. Only when flying around not recording....and im cool with that
I didn't realise that. Thanks for the heads up.

Taking files off the SD card. ;)

No I don't have on continuous focus as tend to take mostly video and it ruins the shots if it focuses at a point you can't edit out.

I've resigned myself to the fact it's not something I can fix with settings and going to send it in soon.
I was wonderi
Yes I believe it does re-focus when it senses objects at different distances. At least I see it in my videos. That's what auto focus does in all video cameras. If it didn't, then everything would be out of focus when subject distances change.

Last edited:
Pixel peeping with a 12mp camera will leave you disappointed more times than not.
028515f413bc8cf5c4cf8d449e29c04d.jpg
cb91a629cf0ebe1c04d4fa278c45fab3.jpg
04ea9682bc2120e47e45f95f3bf6a8c6.jpg

This is not a Mavic bashing post, I love it for what it is but I'm starting to lose patience with the image quality.

I don't use it commercially, I just like going out filming great locations and adding a shine with minimal post editing.

Im not new to video or editing but this is my first quad. It's an absolute joy to fly but unfortunately it stops there for me.

I bought the Mavic after watching YouTube videos which obviously had a massive amount of post work done.

Every time I go out I run through 3 batteries and 90% of the footage or images is absolute junk.

I've tried every tip I can find, have polar pro shutter and vivid series filters but I'm left looking for something I feel it will never achieve.

Maybe it's me, maybe I will be able to find a setting that works with minimal post editing but I'm seriously tempted to get a P4P and keep the Mavic for fun.

Anyone else in the same position?

You can't beat mavic for portability, it will get a shot where you wouldn't have carried a phantom, it's great fun to fly but I feel if your after great video you need something else as well.

Thoughts?
I am with you. I have owned my Mavic Pro for nearly two years, I have NEVER seen an image I was not completely disappointed with. Both photograph and video results have been less than optimal no matter what I try. I am comparing the results with my P3 Advanced. The P3 Advanced took absolute wonderful images and video with zero effort. Auto and manual mode resulted in spectacular results that reeled me in, hook line and sinker into this hobby. I shoot nature...waterfalls, icebergs, beach, cliffs, anything nature, fall colors. All amazing and inspiring with the P3 Advanced.
Unfortunately, the P3 is not very portable. Due to horrid media coverage (anti-UAV/drone) I feel this hobby is like skateboarding of old (it's not a crime to skateboard dude). Well, I avoid humans as much as possible and keep my fingers crossed that I wont be put in jail for taking pictures and video of nature. The size and portability of the Mavic are the only reason I use it. I have to dance on eggshells in post production to get the images to only "suck a little". The P3 Advanced is my go to for reliable fantastic footage in areas without human contact.
I put up with the horrid image quality of the Mavic Pro in favor of portability.
Like everyone with these issues, I wait patiently for DJI to put a P4 Pro or similar quality camera on the Mavic Pro or perhaps get the P4 Pro to be collapsible/portable. Either way, the wait is long and painful. Put me on the list of completely dissatisfied with Mavic Pro image quality. Before the comments fly about "try this" or "use that"...I assure you, I have.
I still have both drones and use them as stated. I just don't expect quality images using a Mavic Pro. I expect fun flying and some sort of reference media I can point to and say, I was here...a bit off lit, off clarity, over/under exposed, color void....but I was there dag nabbit...see, right there. Okay, I should have used the P3 instead *sigh*.

View attachment 25175 I use manual for stills. Shooting at the best times (morning and evening) also effects the quality. Here's a picture that was shot in manual, with no editing!
Hey Ron_Dog, I am curious about this image. That horrid image result is typical for me too. I am curious if you have found the magic fix (other than using a different drone)? I am so sad that I can't get the Mavic to take a decent still or video. I have been working with it for almost two years and even post production is a fail. The vibrant color, definition, clarity is void. I think the camera must be to blame. I can shoot fantastic images with my P3 Advanced, iPhone, Canon digital SLR. I sometimes feel like I could set my iPhone on a timer and toss it into the air and catch a better image.
If you have found the magic fix, let me know please. I wish there was a way of knowing that the equipment is just simply inferior or if it is working optimally based on its limitations. How do you know?
Some people love the images. I look at them and want to gag at the time and effort lost with getting to location, charging batteries, packing up, unpacking/setup, avoiding humans, correct lighting, returning home to find that my footage sucks...without exception. Correction, there was one time I filmed some ferns on the forest floor with a bit of fog...it was fantastic. However, it did not make up for the usual horrid images the other 99% of the time. This thing hates light/sun. No, filters don't work either. It looks like a "filtered" poor quality image too.

Have a look and see what you think.

Its really obvious in this one, others not so much but every image just looks off.

Id love nothing more than it to be something I'm doing wrong that I can fix.
Looks to me like the well-known watercolor effect.
The cure is usually to set sharpening to +1.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I am in the same boat. The Mavic does not deliver the same, straight from the camera, results that my P3 Std did or even a $60 point & shoot pocket camera. It seems that there is a whole hobby built around processing the video from the Mavic to make it passable. I really just want passable without all the post work, seems a reasonable request.

After several months & many pages of notes, I have arrived at a passable set of parameters to let me enjoy my results. Could be better but after a while I decided that this was the best I could expect from my Mavic. So now I just use these and go enjoy flying & filming. I have yet to get filters, on my Christmas list, so it could alter things a little.

I wish the settings were in the EXIF, it would make this a lot easier.
Color D-Cinelike, EV+3, Sat +2, Cont -1, Sharp O, WB Manual 7300. The Saturation seems to favor the red a bit, red cars really pop, but it is a compromise i will learn to live with.

Looks to me like the well-known watercolor effect.
The cure is usually to set sharpening to +1.
That was +1

0 gives me watercolour effect and +2 aliasing and flicker.

I've gave up on mavic as a camera platform, just too much hassle, only use it for fun now.

I'll get around to sending it in to have camera replaced next year at some point.

Picked up a used P3A which is giving me much better results, it just works.
I don't get that dreaded feeling checking the SD card knowing most of it will be garbage.

Sounds like you got a mavic with a bad camera or sumn related. Send it back under manufacturer warranty. I bet a brand new start over mavic increase ur chances fixn that problem haha

I assume u kno how to record good footage like moving slow and smooth versus flying like racer and expecting cinema shots

If its not working as it should send it back cuz i kno for fact from experience the Mavic records insanely sexy 4k footage espesh watched on my 4k big screen im just in love. I bought mine jan 2017 with over 300flight/300miles/etc i fly alot and im far from good video editor too. Im making sure to always have my screen in focus too fyi. Gl

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki