DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

lost GPS midflight (logs attached)

erwheezy

Reactions
Hello fellow Mavic pilots. I had an incident over the weekend where i lost my gps and had to fly back it ATTI mode. I figured it might be because i flew near the marina and there were boats docked in the harbor. I have attached the healthy drones log and phantom log viewer. I am wondering if this was an issue with the location or the possibility of my mavic suffering from the gps problems that others have reported. Thanks in advance

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Your flight log shows you took off from a sidewalk. Concrete is almost always chock-full of magnetic metal rebar. If you also calibrated the compass there, that would have made the situation even worse. You lucked out on this flight.

Check out the Compass Calibration Guide for more information on what to do and not do with the compass.

i didn't calibrate my compass before the flight, i did not receive any compass errors before taking off. i have seen some logs where it shows the gps health is that information available in the logs is posted? And thanks for the warning on sidewalks, after reading up on issues i found that it is best to take off on grass or dirt.

Understood. That's what happened though. Take off from the grass next time and all should go well.

I would suggest to calibrate the compass every time, even though you just go from your house to your garden, and I agree that maybe the place you took off make it a little worst due to the amount of metal.

There is no benefit to calibrating the compass before every flight. It certainly won't hurt anything if you do it correctly every time though.

There is no benefit to calibrating the compass before every flight. It certainly won't hurt anything if you do it correctly every time though.

@msinger watched your video on calibration of visual position system. Sorry to go off topic but should I do one as never have since got mine and seems to work ok, but I wouldn't really know any different? Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

You should calibrate the sensors when instructed to do so by the DJI GO app or if your sensors are not working properly. While it's not an absolute requirement, some people also like to do it after installing new firmware. If the sensors are doing their job properly, then there really is no need to calibrate them.

I don't think take off location or compass would have any effect on acquiring or losing GPS?

No. The OP's Mavic was not using the GPS because it auto switched to ATTI mode when it detected bad compass data.

Reactions: joet
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki