DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 pro setup for real estate photos

Sharky05

Reactions
Sorry in advance guys but if there is someone here that could help me with how to setup the camera to take the best photos I possibly could using the Mavic 2 Pro I would really appreciate it very much I'm just starting up in that field and will appreciate all the help I can get and if you have a video on how to do that even better. Again new to the site and using it and the forums but hope to learn as much as I can from fellow pilots. I've got a job I need to do on Tuesday so it would be great for me to be able to setup the drone before hand most videos out there is either for inspire or phantom drones so not much help for me.
Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon.

Sorry in advance guys but if there is someone here that could help me with how to setup the camera to take the best photos I possibly could using the Mavic 2 Pro I would really appreciate it very much I'm just starting up in that field and will appreciate all the help I can get and if you have a video on how to do that even better. Again new to the site and using it and the forums but hope to learn as much as I can from fellow pilots. I've got a job I need to do on Tuesday so it would be great for me to be able to setup the drone before hand most videos out there is either for inspire or phantom drones so not much help for me.
Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon.

All of these settings will be in the camera settings which are on the main live view screen on the right side near the middle. It’s like three white lines.

Image size: 4:3
Image type: RAW+JPEG
White Balance: AWB(auto)
Style: Sharpness 0, contrast -2, saturation 0(this is personal preference but a good place to start.

Color: None(this is personal preference)

At the top of the menu switch over to the submenu that’s on the left. It’s has a circular picture of a camera aperture.

Switch your camera mode to A. This stands for Aperture Priority mode.

Go to the far right menu that’s a picture of a gear. Turn on

Lock gimbal when capture
Overexposed
Histogram
Auto turn off headlights

Tap on the part of the picture that is most important to focus the camera. Turn the brightness of the photo up with the dial on the right side of the RC up until you start to see zebra like black and white lines on your picture. Then reduce the brightness so you no longer see any black and white lines. (Note: The zebra stripes are a guide but use best judgement. If it seems too dark to get rid of the zebra stripes then some is ok but try not to have any.)

Now you are properly exposed and take the picture!

Is there any particular reason to recommend changing the aspect ratio from 3:2?

It might help to suggest an appropriate aperture value

I did mean 3:2 thanks. Aperture really depends on the shot and is a creative decision. Usually not too low and not too high but higher f-stop is generally gonna look better then too low is a good rule to live by

Reactions: Meta4
The F-stop setting controls two factors:

1. The intensity of light hitting the sensor. Larger f numbers mean smaller opening and weaker light intensity. Smaller f numbers, larger lens opening and higher light intensity (exposure).

2. Depth of field, the apparent in focus areas extending out from the lens. Larger f numbers shrink DOF and smaller expand it.

For many pics the subject you focus on is sufficiently far away (20+ feet) that a middle F-stop will offer most everything in focus.
Because of light diffraction around the camera’s iris a small F stop (F11-16) will begin to cause softness in the entire image.

Ok, soapbox mode off.
NB

For many pics the subject you focus on is sufficiently far away (20+ feet) that a middle F-stop will offer most everything in focus.
You need to be within about 2.5 metres of your subject for DoF to be a consideration.
That means that for almost all drone photography, depth of field is of no concern at all.
The lens has more than enough DoF at any aperture.

2. Depth of field, the apparent in focus areas extending out from the lens. Larger f numbers shrink DOF and smaller expand it.
NB

Hey Bob you sound like you know what you are talking about and maybe this is a matter of semantics but I believe a higher f-stop corresponds is GREATER depth of field and lower f-stops refer to LOWER depth of field.

It sounds like you are saying the opposite but maybe I’m reading it incorrectly.

I was taught to think of the fstop like the spindles on a fence when looking straight across it. The f number would be the number of spindles in focus past the spindle you set focus on 72171

Last edited:
Don’t mean to sound negative, but why do so many people set up a business and take on clients and THEN ask how they should set up their drone?

Reactions: Meta4
Sorry folks, Brett is right, I reversed it. Very tired and late at night. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it. (Grin)

NB

Reactions: brett8883
You need to be within about 2.5 metres of your subject for DoF to be a consideration.
That means that for almost all drone photography, depth of field is of no concern at all.
The lens has more than enough DoF at any aperture.
This is a good point I never really thought of. So the truth is the adjustable aperture really doesn’t do much. As Bob said it just controls the intensity of the light in our case. I mean I’d rather have it then not have it though.

Something I’ve never really understood is hyperfocal distance and “infinity” focus. Are these the same thing and is that what you call the 2.5 m? Hyperfocal distance?

Every personbody has had a "first day on the NEW job".......
Yes but when it’s a job you set up for yourself, a little pre planning/learning should have occurred
Maybe it’s just me, but I like to be an expert at my job.

Last edited:
Every personbody has had a "first day on the NEW job".......
But in some professions, they do a little training first rather than jump in at the deep end.
When you pay for a service, you should be safe assuming the service provider actually knows what they are doing, whether it's drone photographer or airline pilot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart