DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic disconnected, and flew away.

Someone already said it but I ALWAYS CHECK IT ON THE MAP. After it tells you home point recorded please check it on the map!

Reactions: mlaczek
Summary of where I am after all your advises and comments (thanks you all by the way, this is great !!).

For the Home Point problem, what I understand is that I need to run a checklist to verify that the home point is well recorded, systematically.
As far as trying to understand why the Mavic grabbed a strange location as home point, I think @BudWalker might have nailed it down to a possible/probable scenario : I don't remember turning the Mavic on in the house, but I've already done it in the past, so I'm not totally sure. But looking at the location it grabbed, it looks very familiar as it is the location our phones are returning when at home and not getting GPS signals (i.e. the center of the circle built by geo loc algorythm based on - I think - wifi and mobile network).

For the RC conection lost, I understand that the positions of the controler's antennas when the drone was above me could have been a cause for the disconnect (as it is true that I never try to move the antennas depending on where the drone is). Is it really something I should be doing always or it is something I need to think about in case of another disconnect?

Thanks

I knew that @BudWalker would have an awesome analysis. Its really interesting to see all the different data points culminate in a forensic flight log evaluation.

This is a learning event I'm sure.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
For the RC conection lost, I understand that the positions of the controller's antennas when the drone was above me could have been a cause for the disconnect (as it is true that I never try to move the antennas depending on where the drone is). Is it really something I should be doing always or it is something I need to think about in case of another disconnect?
There's signal strength bars on the controller screen and Go 4 app (alongside the controller icon). If you see the number of bars reducing with the quad in plain sight it's likely that you need to adjust the direction of the antennas to maintain connection.
The user manual (Page 35) explains this.

Last edited:
Reactions: BmrUpInTheSky
This was great to follow I must keep this in mind . Only had my Mavic for 1 week .

I never take off unless I get the notification Home Point has been recorded, please check on map.
  • Even after that, as soon as I take off, I'll manually tap to record the home point once more.
Cool. I thought I was the only one being overly cautious by recording home point twice every time.

I also only turn it on at the take off location and wait till I have a minimum of 12 sats locked and check location on the map.

I believe a lot of "fly aways" wouldn't occur if home point was correctly recorded before take off.

What type of roof do you have on your house, metal or shingle. Metal or tin roofs will mess up a signal big time and your problem might be that simple, Stay away from your house, I have seen roof's cause major problems when flying around a metal roof or building. Anyway, something to consider.

This is known as an RTC, Return To China feature. It's a feature not a bug! Unfortunately these things sometimes know where their maker lives and tries to return. What do the logs say?

This is known as an RTC, Return To China feature. It's a feature not a bug! Unfortunately these things sometimes know where their maker lives and tries to return. What do the logs say?
The feature has a flaw. It needs to travel around 8000 miles to get there on a single charge. Is there some sort of hidden battery reserve we don't know about?

Reactions: BD0G and BudWalker
I've found the Mavic brakes the most aggressively when you press the pause button. Going full whack in sport mode, it brakes faster with pause than reversing the stick. But you can probably change the braking responsiveness in the sensitivity settings as well to suit your needs. Anyways it will still take some time to come to a complete stop.

Hello,

I've already post in the DJI forum, but they told me to come here.
So what happened, is that I was flying for about 5 minutes, the Mavic was flying perfectly, but at some point, the DJI Go 4 (Nexus 6) disconnected, but reconnected right after, and disconnected again, it did that 7 or 8 times in a row. Then the controller disconnected from the drone.
At this point, the drone was at about 10 meters high, and there was nothing between the controller and the drone, as I was almost underneath the drone. The Mavic started to fly up, and away. I disconnected my Nexus 6 from the controller, and started to run after the drone, I regained control without any explanation, and flew it back in my garden, and landed safely.
Over at the DJI forum, they said that I've lost connection, and the Mavic started to go home, but to a Home Point that was not where the Mavic took off. But I'm sure that the Mavic recorded the home point when it took off, the phone told me that : "The Home Point has been updated".
Moreover, in the flight log in the DJI Go App, the home point seems behind the house, somewhere I had never flown before. What do you think ?
So I'm worried to fly again, does my mavic has any issues ? Or it was just in a bad mood, and I'm safe to fly again being more careful ? Or it was all my fault ?

Here is the post at DJI Forums : Mavic flying away
Here are the .txt flight logs : Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com - Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Here are the healthy drone flight logs : HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters - HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Thanks for your help,
Mee
Did you check the K-index monitor ? I have been told it will shut down your gps if it is high enough, look for the app and check the timeline when you lost control, if it is above 5or 6 this may be the problem

Did you check the K-index monitor ? I have been told it will shut down your gps if it is high enough
That's not true. You can safely ignore the K-index.

Reactions: BudWalker
That's not true. You can safely ignore the K-index.
I agree although some worry about it for some reason. Here's it use and purpose.

The K-index, and by extension the Planetary K-index, are used to characterize the magnitude of geomagnetic storms. Kp is an excellent indicator of disturbances in the Earth's magnetic field and is used by SWPC to decide whether geomagnetic alerts and warnings need to be issued for users who are affected by these disturbances.

The principal users affected by geomagnetic storms are the electrical power grid, spacecraft operations, users of radio signals that reflect off of or pass through the ionosphere, and observers of the aurora.

Also, get rid of that Android phone! Use a ipad or IOS device. I've never disconnected with IOS, ever. Also start low and make sure you have all firmware updated and look at the settings to either hover or return home for a disconnect. I was flying with old firmware and hit RTH, my drone was trying to land on a building! I switched to sports mode and pulled her lil butt back to me. I've practiced what I would do in a disconnect, going into sports mode always gets my responsiveness back to me. I now no longer use RTH unless I lose sight of drone and then I take over manually. Good luck!

Also keep in mind that a RTH event will prompt the drone to elevate to the RTH altitude even if it's directly above the landing point

I agree although some worry about it for some reason. Here's it use and purpose.

The K-index, and by extension the Planetary K-index, are used to characterize the magnitude of geomagnetic storms. Kp is an excellent indicator of disturbances in the Earth's magnetic field and is used by SWPC to decide whether geomagnetic alerts and warnings need to be issued for users who are affected by these disturbances.

The principal users affected by geomagnetic storms are the electrical power grid, spacecraft operations, users of radio signals that reflect off of or pass through the ionosphere, and observers of the aurora.
good to know , thanks, I am new to the hobby and do not want to lose my bird!! and there is a lot of info to sort through

I used RTH today first time on Mavic number 2 it was flawless landing in hetween 2 flower beds only 18 inches apart with a path in the middle. I was waiting to cancel and land manually but decided to let it do its thing. It landed within inches of takeoff. RTH set waiting for satellites then manual record then hover. After that I always fly 5 mins In a small area checking for any stabillity or signal issues before i fly. touch wood both my Mavics have been awesome in all areas and iphone 7s has never had an app disconnect or crash. Longest single flight 1.5 miles. I hope i continue to be lucky.

The disconnects may be related to the small USB cable supplied with the transmitter/controller. I use my device's USB cable and attach it to the USB located on the bottom of the remote. I don't have anymore disconnects.

If you kept getting disconnects from the app. I imagine that when it reconnected it updated its home point at current location. I have no clue why it moved though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky