DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic distance is a joke!

Something wrong with your gear. I live in a very densely populated area and I get a good 2KM flying

I wouldn't assume this until tested in multiple environments and with all other things corrected (airplane mode, etc.). Interference is interference and a new/different Mavic isn't going to change/fix that. There's a reason the saying is "Your mileage may vary".

Reactions: Fergus McWergus
Seriously?!! I've done a range test today in two completely different directions and my maximum distance before rc loses complete signal is 0.6 miles! That's just pathetic!
I'm in the UK so obviously CE mode, but 0.6 miles is a joke!!
The range heavily depends on the area in which the drone is being flown. You'll find that you can fly it the furthest over a lake where there is nothing to block the signal. I've flown mine 4 miles over the Hudson River in NY and crashed on the way back because it didn't have enough juice to get back.

Are you talking about the iphone setting "Airplane Mode"

Ya on the phone but I never fly with wifi. But with my bebop 2 it's strictly wifi. I always fly in air plain mode with the parrot. It defiantly makes a difference

Yeah man, totally depends on terrain and conditions. I've gone out to open fields and went out 2 miles with no issues, and probably could've went further but chickened out. Then I try flying around my house in town and get all kinds of interference issues. Wifi signals, power lines, etc. Just have to be in the right area I suppose

In my 200 plus hours of flight time on my mavic I can tell you that in my experience geographic topography has a lot more to do with it then other radio interference. When I fly near my house which has lots of buildings and trees and Hills I can typically only get about 1 km of range before things start getting dicey.

When I'm flying at my local RC Park which sits on top of the hill at about 150 M of elevation over the rest of the area I can routinely get up to 3 km.

When I fly it out over the ocean I quite easily accomplish 5 km of range, or more.

I've now flown my mavic in England, Ireland, and several places around the US and I have found that these range variances to be very consistent and largely determined by the topography I am flying near.

Your mileage may vary :)

Yeah I hear ya, the amount of times that I have had disconnects at very short distances
Straight up above head only get 300m before disconnect
Distance at 50m altitude is about 1km

that's why I'm looking at running 1.5w but need to improve cooling
License limits me to 5w

ok, mine will go as high as I want and distance over 11000feet and was able to go more but I didn't push it..iam in the middle of woods ,trees every where her..
I love mine

Last edited:
Lots of obstacles between you and your Mavic? Heavy woods or houses galore also reduces signal. 3,200 feet range in those types of environments is not all that unusual.
Well mine will go up 1000ft and I have gone 11000ft out and iam in the middle of all wood everywhere around me.

There's no interference (or much less) when you're going up to 1,000 feet, since it's line-of-sight. Those flying under the FAA recommended limit of 400 feet will necessarily have more objects to interfere with their signal as they go further out. "Up" is not the same as "out", even if it's the same distance. In fact, going straight up is pretty easy (interference-wise, not wind or other-wise) since there's nothing to get in the way of your signal or other EMI sources such as home WiFi, electrical lines, etc. that far up.

Hi I bought a crashed mavic and the leg and aerial had come off
This allowed me to see that they hadn't soldered the core of the cable they soldered to the insulation (hadn't stripped and it hadn't melted through)
Pad off the PCB was still attached to the cable
s-l300.jpg

In open areas I get between 4-5 km at which point it has to RTH due to battery. LoS seems to matter a lot.

Seriously?!! I've done a range test today in two completely different directions and my maximum distance before rc loses complete signal is 0.6 miles! That's just pathetic!
I'm in the UK so obviously CE mode, but 0.6 miles is a joke!!
I've never had any issues getting a mile to a mile and a half out of my Mavik

I've flown just over two miles in a wide open marsh. I only stopped because I made it to where I wanted to be. I've also flown over a mile from inside my car.

Check out YouTube for firmware and DJI Go app rollbacks to enable FCC mode. Your range is also affected by your environment.

I think there's an issue there, I have not deliberately range tested but my regular flight path take me 400m altitude and 2km out. I have no dropouts and it's very responsive

I've seen Mavics fly MILES away from home.
Something is up.

#9 DejaViewz, Wednesday at 2:55 PM

I have to admit, after years of flying RC aircraft - and loosing a few, The thought of that thing ( MP ) being that far just makes my "you know what" pucker. Seen a lot of Youtube videos with some amazing footage, and the one's that don't go so well.
I'm still relatively new with my MP, and GPS is nice, but I'm still reluctant to let it out of my sight. At 396 feet straight up, its just a spec! And... I can't afford to replace it.

Reactions: Pietros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54