DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Fly Away this evening. Shes Gone!

I'm also thinking he didn't and it killed/cut the battery power off and it went down like a rock right where it was last known. That would explain the message and sudden loss of all connection with it never returning home.

Well, I certainly hope not! If that was the case that is a recall situation. I very much doubt it though, unless he's got a dodgy battery. I get that message reasonably often in Sport Mode and never let off the sticks, just flick in to normal mode. I'm thinking the OA/sunset scenario is much more likely. Bit of a mystery why he had a disconnect though......

Well, I certainly hope not! If that was the case that is a recall situation. I very much doubt it though, unless he's got a dodgy battery. I get that message reasonably often in Sport Mode and never let of the sticks, just flick in to normal mode. I'm thinking the OA/sunset scenario is much more likely.

Not sure why that would be a recall situation, but I'm not DJI? If you fail to take note of the warnings you very well will end up with problems. Let say you over rev your engine in your car and ignore the over speed (RPM) warnings is it a recall if the engine blows? Pushing it too hard too long can result in possibly a warning then failure or even just out right failure with no warnings. Truth is the mavic is not acrobatic or racing drone.

Anyways if you personally took note of the warning and switched it into normal mode (which cuts the Mavic's speed and attack angle and such by around 50%) then, you took note of the problem and made a correction to prevent a further issue from arising. Which at this point the OP may or may not have done the same thing. I don't think enough info has been given to properly support either way. If OP had panic set in and he continued to floor it home on sport mode following the warnings nothing good was probley to follow.

Reactions: temptation
Well, I certainly hope not! If that was the case that is a recall situation. I very much doubt it though, unless he's got a dodgy battery. I get that message reasonably often in Sport Mode and never let off the sticks, just flick in to normal mode. I'm thinking the OA/sunset scenario is much more likely. Bit of a mystery why he had a disconnect though......

Downloaded the CSV from HealthyDrones.

I don't think it's the OA since he was pointed 295°(true, 297 Mag) and the sun would have been on an azimuth of about 264° at that time.
Should not cause a data loss at the same time.

Admittedly the sun was quite low, but enough to flare both cameras with a 31° offset? I've never seen that - always pointing pretty much on axis to the setting sun when I get OA stops due to light.

He was 5 and half minutes in (He started at 11.991 V which is nowhere near the 12.8 I get when topped up).

All three cell voltages were 3.65733 V for 10.972 V on the last record.

Last flag in last record was:
"Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."

IMO, if the Mavic can detect over current then it should command a lower speed automatically. This seems like quite an ordinary and easy thing to do to protect the system.

IMO, if the Mavic can detect over current then it should command a lower speed automatically. This seems like quite an ordinary and easy thing to do to protect the system.

I agree and it should be able to reduce traveling speed but not altitude. I haven't seen that it can or already does this though.

Not sure why that would be a recall situation, but I'm not DJI? If you fail to take note of the warnings you very well will end up with problems. Let say you over rev your engine in your car and ignore the over speed (RPM) warnings is it a recall if the engine blows? Pushing it too hard too long can result in possibly a warning then failure or even just out right failure with no warnings. Truth is the mavic is not acrobatic or racing drone.

Anyways if you personally took note of the warning and switched it into normal mode (which cuts the Mavic's speed and attack angle and such by around 50%) then, you took note of the problem and made a correction to prevent a further issue from arising. Which at this point the OP may or may not have done the same thing. I don't think enough info has been given to properly support either way. If OP had panic set in and he continued to floor it home on sport mode following the warnings nothing good was probley to follow.

Thanks for your input

I am still learning about the mavic, that's why I am here. I know with the P4, and P4P if you hit return to home when the drone is returning home, it is canceled. When he hit return to home, could he of canceled it?

I am still learning about the mavic, that's why I am here. I know with the P4, and P4P if you hit return to home when the drone is returning home, it is canceled. When he hit return to home, could he of canceled it?

There is more to it then just that. If he shut off the remote or was out of range and lost communication with the remote it should have returned home. If he had connection with the remote to be able to hit return home or to hit it to cancel it he probley wouldn't have had an issue flying it back or get disconnected warnings. Also return home needs to be pressed and held not just a tap or single press.

But more then likely (just speculation at this point) he probley couldn't have cancelled the return to home and it should have auto returned to home anyways.

Reactions: AlwaysAWOL
There is more to it then just that. If he shut off the remote or was out of range and lost communication with the remote it should have returned home. If he had connection with the remote to be able to hit return home or to hit it to cancel it he probley wouldn't have had an issue flying it back or get disconnected warnings. Also return home needs to be pressed and held not just a tap or single press.

But more then likely (just speculation at this point) he probley couldn't have cancelled the return to home and it should have auto returned to home anyways.
Got it. I was trying to figure out why he hit rth. I drop behind trees all the time, and it comes right back when it loses signal. I had read about others getting a little panic, and hitting rth. Which canceled rth. I have been training this one finger,not to hit rth unnecessarily. Dam thing seems to have a mind of it's on.

Ha ha.. just flick in normal mode is enough.

Downloaded the CSV from HealthyDrones.

I don't think it's the OA since he was pointed 295°(true, 297 Mag) and the sun would have been on an azimuth of about 264° at that time.
Should not cause a data loss at the same time.

Admittedly the sun was quite low, but enough to flare both cameras with a 31° offset? I've never seen that - always pointing pretty much on axis to the setting sun when I get OA stops due to light.

He was 5 and half minutes in (He started at 11.991 V which is nowhere near the 12.8 I get when topped up).

All three cell voltages were 3.65733 V for 10.972 V on the last record.

Last flag in last record was:
"Adjust antenna and avoid signal block."

Last flag indicate no enough power to antena.. few second later no power at all.. no mavic, just rock falling from sky.. 99% that he didn't loose sticks .. or just flick from sport mode.

Twice I have flown behind a mountain and lost all signal. Both times the Mavic returned too home on it's own. I have got into the habit of setting the return point prior to each flight. Did you set the return point before your flight or trust that it auto set the home point (which I think it does)?
OK,....I give up. Googled and really got no answer. I am fairly new to Quad copter flying and have only flown the Mavic several times. Other than waiting for enough satellites so the Mavic sets its home point,......how do you do it manually before each flight?
Already do the DJI dance to set compass at each new location.

OK,....I give up. Googled and really got no answer. I am fairly new to Quad copter flying and have only flown the Mavic several times. Other than waiting for enough satellites so the Mavic sets its home point,......how do you do it manually before each flight?
Already do the DJI dance to set compass at each new location.

No need to do the compass dance unless it asks you to.

As long as one is calling it a home point, best (IMO) to let the aircraft GPS receiver determine it once it has locked on.[1]. If you want to change it, use the first option (the drone symbol), then choose carefully (where you are or where the drone is at present. If the drone is a km away it might ruin your whole day)

I have pretty good check lists and at the core of them is the launch sequence which is a hard set of rules for me:
  • Never take off under obstacles (tree limbs, lights, wires, etc.)
  • Use a landing pad with a distinct pattern on it (see my avatar)
  • Wait for GPS to lock before starting the motors
    • Preferably with 12+ sats.
  • Verify the home point against the map presented[2]
  • Start the motors
  • Rise vertically 10 m and wait 5 seconds.
    • Lets the photo of the landing zone to be made
    • A good time to do focus and exposure adjustments
    • Start video if not already running
That sequence is to make sure that in the worst case RTH should bring the drone back close and in most conditions can even automatically land. No guarantee - just stacks the odds in my favour.

Also, I generally disable OA for RTH and set the RTH to the maximum legal altitude. This works where I am (pretty flat spaces).

[1] While the MP is known to occasionally lose GPS in flight, where it has GPS at the home point I've never heard of it being way off at that time.

[2] Note that if you don't have LTE where you are this may need you to cache the maps ahead of the flight. Good thing to do the night before.

Reactions: Fried Toast
Thank you. I just printed your check list. That will now become my standard flight check list as well.

There is also A RTH setting where the Mavic tries to fly around an obstacle. In this case it flies sideways and as I know all to well the Mavic does not have any side avoidance sensors.

Well in reality the smart rth to avoid obstacles climbs until the obstacle is cleared. Havent tried myself to see if it avoid obstacles sideways but at least graph in the controller shows like that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones