DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Fly Away this evening. Shes Gone!

I'm no expert at looking at flight data but, did you launch with 73% battery power? If so, how long had it been since your last full charge? I've read on forums that you should always start with a fully charged battery.

To the experts---What's the potential ramifications of launching with a battery not at full capacity? And, possibly one that's not been charged for a few weeks?

Well there are no issues if you take off with a battery not at 100% but they recommend that so you fly safe.

OK,....I give up. Googled and really got no answer. I am fairly new to Quad copter flying and have only flown the Mavic several times. Other than waiting for enough satellites so the Mavic sets its home point,......how do you do it manually before each flight?
Already do the DJI dance to set compass at each new location.

Mate Read the manual. The forums are to help and advice people but yo have been asking questions which you should know before take off. Sorry, not meant to be rude but read the manual for the love of your Mavic !

I'm pretty comfortable flying after having been in the collective pitch heli hoby for a while, so not much phases me. But Battery Overcharge warning is the scariest thing. It happens if it's cold out OR if you're going full forward and elevate in Sport mode. If you don't let up immediate after receiving this warning the thing WILL fall out of the sky.

Well in reality the smart rth to avoid obstacles climbs until the obstacle is cleared. Havent tried myself to see if it avoid obstacles sideways but at least graph in the controller shows like that
There is no sensors on the sides or rear so, no sideways or backwards does not avoid anything.

Quick question just for analysis.... Did u have visual contact with the craft ? Did u fly beind something that cud have bstructed your view or signal. Because the only time you will get thar message is when your craft goes out of range behind an object like trees or buildings. Was your RTH active selected on signal loss ?

Reactions: Mavic Dude
Just a quick mention... Always set homepoint on the device and the drone prior to each take off

Mate Read the manual. The forums are to help and advice people but yo have been asking questions which you should know before take off. Sorry, not meant to be rude but read the manual for the love of your Mavic !
I cant agree more here with stratos. If you took your time and learned how to do a flight precheck afyer reading the manual this would have been avoided, ESPECIALLY as this is your first RC craft. Here is my flow chart that i do before EVERY flight.....

1 Plug in phone
2 Fire up remote
3 Check props
4 Remove Gimbal clip
5 check SD
6 Power up Craft
7 wait for GPS lock
8 Lock device Homepoint on phone
9 Lock Craft home point
10 Clear take off

Those simple checks and preflight checks would have save ur craft. JUST A WARNING to new pilots, if you have NEVER flown a drone.... Please stay a away from sport mode. Learn your skills in beginner mode set to ON before going all top gun

Here is what happened.

About the 6th flight of the day. Great weather. Was at 347 feet above takeoff point getting good everything. Was in sport mode. Getting a beautiful picture on my I-pad Mini. I was just over 2000 feet away in my rural neighborhood when I get an event message that says adjust antenna to avoid signal blockage. At almost exactly the same time the screen goes blank and the RC says LOSS of Signal. I checked my antenna position (just fine) and quickly changed my position. I waited a bit and touched return to home. Nothing, it just said Signal Lost.

I walked over to the position where it last reported. Nothing. Went back out after dark with a high powered light and GPS but nothing to be found. It is a wooded area. Will try again in the morning. I hoped that when I got home it would be setting there waiting for me but no such luck.

Do you guys think it is really there or did it fly off? It reported its last position and altitude of 347 feet. I had a good picture right until the end. Was way above the terrain.

Healthy Drone showed no problems other than a message that said Battery Overcurrent during discharge. I was running wide open when that happened so throttle back an it went out. This happened about 30 seconds before it was lost. I had lots of battery, only in the air about 3 minutes on full everything.

Any suggestions for finding it are appreciated.:(
Hence, a good reason to attach a small satellite equipped finder to one's Mavic.. just in case.

Ping GPS

Last edited:
C'mon.. where is it?

Yes please. If there is anything else,...i would appreciate it. $1200 for the Fly More kit is an investment I do not want to loose.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: temptation
Reactions: jpbluzharp
I cant agree more here with stratos. If you took your time and learned how to do a flight precheck afyer reading the manual this would have been avoided, ESPECIALLY as this is your first RC craft. Here is my flow chart that i do before EVERY flight.....

1 Plug in phone
2 Fire up remote
3 Check props
4 Remove Gimbal clip
5 check SD
6 Power up Craft
7 wait for GPS lock
8 Lock device Homepoint on phone
9 Lock Craft home point
10 Clear take off

Those simple checks and preflight checks would have save ur craft. JUST A WARNING to new pilots, if you have NEVER flown a drone.... Please stay a away from sport mode. Learn your skills in beginner mode set to ON before going all top gun

What exactly do you mean by lock device homepoint on phone and lock craft homepoint ?

Doesn't the prompt "home point set" mean all is good? And then verify on map that its actually set?

Bluetooth. Pretty useless in a Mavic Down situation unless you know quite accurately where it is. There is no "crowd" of trackers nearby to mesh the location.

Just edited my suggestion to include Ping rather than the Bluetooth trackr. Thanks

What exactly do you mean by lock device homepoint on phone and lock craft homepoint ?

Doesn't the prompt "home point set" mean all is good? And then verify on map that its actually set?

If you let the GPS acquire, then its home point is automatically set to that point. Until you become, with time and flights, more experienced with it all, I would not move the home point at all.

And yes, do verify that the home position represents where you actually are at the time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky