Mavic gimbal issue; you all need to read!

Discussion in 'Mavic Pro Discussions' started by TheLightSpeed!, Oct 30, 2016.

1. TheLightSpeed!

TheLightSpeed! Well-Known Member

So, I got my Mavic weeks ago.... flew it with no issues... the other day landing on a pathway it slid to the left and clipped a curb... the Mavic dropped the last about 10" inches somewhat hard.

At first glance the prop didn't even have a scuff really, and it took right back off.

But immediately, I noticed Jello-ing in the video... BAD!

So I freaked and started an RMA.

Then my girlfriend and I were looking at it and realized the gimbal base had slid over the corner of the Mavic? I pushed a little and "pop" it popped right back into place! All good? Again, flew it and still the video is jello-ing?

No damage, zero, and I have this issue....

I even tried to change props... nada.

Then looking at it again with my GF, she points out that the gimbal is sitting against this metal tab... and the back of the gimbal is firmly against the Mavic and the front if springy.

So I pulled the base of the gimbal back out like I found it, and realized the gimbal was supposed to be on top of this limiting tab... slid it back on top of the tab, slid the corner of the gimbal back under and viola, it's perfect!

Lesson - the "auto landing" kind of sucks. A little wind and it can move. Be way clear of anything two feet around just in case.

Also, the gimbal is different... and can slide below the tab that is designed to limit this exact behavior.

I hope this helps someone else. I keep seeing all these "jello" complaints, and I'm 99% sure it's usually caused by the gimbal having direct contact with the bird, or a major vibration in the blades etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lico, Smallz, firerm and 7 others like this.
  2. TheLightSpeed!

By the way DJI seemed really interested in this issue and asked me to send several videos and pictures. Even said it might be a defect of design.

Boyd, Mark Faircloth and Parker like this.
  3. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

Can you label a picture for us so we can better visualize what you're saying? Also for other flyers, you can still somewhat control the Mavic in its final descent.

beatnik, ___ and BD0G like this.
  4. TheLightSpeed!

Yeah but it's not like total control. I didn't realize it was moving until it was too late

5. BD0G

BD0G Well-Known Member

I second this notion. Without pictures and arrows pointing to the areas that you mention it is hard to visualize all the tabs, plates, and associated gimbal mounting apparatus.

What I came away with is . Hard landing can jostle the gimbal to a point that it will cause jello effects in the future video. Mess with some tabs and positioning of the gimbal to correct.

kiki83 likes this.
  6. TheLightSpeed!

I'll take some photos... if you look at the gimbal of the Mavic you'll see what I mean.

It sits on the four plastic shocks, but has a tab that limits its travel down.

7. TheLightSpeed!

See... it's easy for it to go past the things that are supposed to limit it [​IMG][​IMG]

This is the tab it can work itself around. In this photo it's supposed to be below it.... but after the top tab went over it easily slips to the other side of it
    [​IMG]

Sang Lee and woolvie like this.
  8. sonof40

sonof40 Active Member

What I learned from this: always have a GF that's smarter than me.

9. Scott

Scott Active Member

10. DJ Kim

DJ Kim Member

Would it have helped if you had the gimbal protector cover on Mavic fulltime while flying/landing?

11. BD0G

BD0G Well-Known Member

The answer MUST be YES. However since the bubble cover / gimbal -camera protector is plastic it imparts glare and reflection in certain lighting and is not optically clear. Thus the resulting video and or pictures would not be without artificially induced artifacts. For sport mode and spirited flying where one is out for the pure enjoyment of flying then to leave the bubble on would be extra protection.

scooot and sonof40 like this.
  12. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

The dome wouldn't have helped. The gimbal clamp might have helped, but you'd get a gimbal error and it would start heating up.

#12 kmaluo, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  13. BD0G

BD0G Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting look into how they (DJI engineers ) mechanically limit the gimbals total movement.

Remember lots of us don't have the Mavic Pro yet like some (hint , hint ) :) so we are dependant upon those that do to help us with the layout and positioning of certain aspects of its architecture.

Which you have done pretty well.

A comparison picture to the way that the gimbal and tab position is supposed to be would be a good thing for compare and contrast.

#13 BD0G, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Mr Spock and kmaluo like this.
  14. BD0G

BD0G Well-Known Member

I think there is an important distinction. There is a gimbal clamp or holder and then there is a protective plastic bubble cover. One can fly with the protective plastic bubble cover on and there are videos available where pilots have done just that.

Flying with the gimbal clamp or holder on would in fact limit the free travel of the gimbal as it could not rotate on its X or Y axis and produce an error within the DJI Go app that indicated the gimbal was restricted and the gimbal motors would heat up as they tried to move the gimbal in a normal fashion.

scooot and kmaluo like this.
  15. dam

dam Well-Known Member

That sucks .. sorry to hear of the crash.. is there any hardware fix for this ?

16. kmaluo

kmaluo Well-Known Member

Is there something missing on the right in the first picture? Looks like an outine of glue where something broke off.

17. TheLightSpeed!

The bubble cover wouldn't have helped. I think this can happen regardless of the cover

18. TheLightSpeed!

My GF is a Medical Manufacturing Tech for Siemens. She knows more about tech stuff than me!

botasky, Raptorman and sonof40 like this.
  19. Butterpuff 6

Butterpuff 6 Well-Known Member

FYI, I posted a link to this post to someone on a Mavic support forum on Facebook who was having jello/shaking issues and he responded "thanks buddy, You just save my life! it works thanks a lot."

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

___ likes this.
  20. woolvie

woolvie Active Member

Thanks for posting this. Very useful!