DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic or P4P?

I had to make the exact same decision. the P4P wins in every category, stability speed, camera etc IMO. What it lacks is portability. If you travel by car mostly then a P4P is the way to go. If you fly a lot like I do, you may feel the P4P may be larger to lug around with your computer and other luggage. If you are ok with the size of the P4P then go for that one, in my own testing performed much better.
In terms of range is it better? And how about overall speed, livestream lag/interference and agility?

You pretty much answered your question. If you need it for a job that specifically calls for photography then the P4P is the drone for you. The Mavic Pro camera will make post production difficult and cumbersome to pass any QC in a professional environment.

I don't know about that... It's no slouch in the imaging department. It depends on what you are shooting and for whom. The FoV is not terribly larger on the P4P, but it is 20MP versus 12MP. I've gotten some great results with the Mavic, and consider it a functional backup for my P4P if needed for most things.

and vice versa. If you buy the P4P you are still going to be thinking you should have bought the Mavic.
I own both drones for simple reasons:

- MAVIC is for when I want portability for hiking, and traveling (domestically and internationally) in planes on family vacations,etc. Very good drone, stable in strong winds.

- P4P is for serious photography, perhaps the best drone in its class and maybe the first one in the world with an actual shutter. It's like a flying dslr.

In terms of range, in my flying environment, they are pretty much the same. The Mavic and P4P beat my old P4 in terms of range.

As we speak, we are packing for a trip out of the country. We leave in 3 days for a week and a half. Guess which drone is coming on this trip, the Mavic!!.

My thought process exactly. In Vegas for the week and took the Mavic and my SLR/lenses all in the same bag. Worked out fantastic.

My thought process exactly. In Vegas for the week and took the Mavic and my SLR/lenses all in the same bag. Worked out fantastic.
I do like the portability of the mavic, it just is not a better drone when it comes down to it.

I do like the portability of the mavic, it just is not a better drone when it comes down to it.

It's not better, it's different. It's a better drone if you travel, want to film your hiking, etc. It's not a better drone for professional imagery. You can certainly take a P4 with you - if you had to - and you can certainly use the Mavic for paid work - if you had to.

Reactions: AlexSP
It's not better, it's different. It's a better drone if you travel, want to film your hiking, etc. It's not a better drone for professional imagery. You can certainly take a P4 with you - if you had to - and you can certainly use the Mavic for paid work - if you had to.
So which would be better for me?

Mate, really, what is so hard to understand about it? Both are excellent drones when it comes to flight (control, authonomy, range, etc.) The Mavic is more portable. The P4P has superior camera specs.

That´s all there is to it. If you need a small advanced drone, get the Mavic. If you need a more advanced camera, go with the P4P. Only you can answer that because you know your needs and priorities.

In terms of range is it better? And how about overall speed, livestream lag/interference and agility?

I felt the P4P handled better in the wind, and was not as jerky like the Mavic is, although it is adjustable. Even though though both are rated at 4.3 miles I did have a bit more issue with the P4P using 5.8, when I switched it to 2.4GHZ it was much better. I never had connectivity issues with the Mavic. I did not do a long range test per se, but enough to know that you can easily lose line of sight with no issues. Battery life is much better. i got an average of 25 to 27 minutes while the Mavic I was seeing about 20-22. I really wanted to keep both, but I knew I would probably never take it on a plane ride with me. If you decide to get it, check the Polarpro Drone Trekker out... IMO was a great bag and suppose to fit in the overhead of a small commuter jet as well.

Your OP said that range was your dilemma... They have the same range. What are you going to use it for? Where will you be operating from?
I'll be using it for photography, (phantom is already better choice) but I also want to have fun, fly out of sight and explore from the skies. My friend is getting a mavic, and I just don't want his 1000 dollar drone having better range then my 1800 dollar drone. The rest of the specs is already pointing towards phantom although.

Differences are minor. Both drones don't come anywhere near a DSLR. The Mavic is a better choice for portability and price. It does have a lot of features for the price and in some ways out performs the Phantom with its ability. The Phantom no doubt has a better camera but again the differences aren't huge and you pay more, a lot more for the P4P. What it really comes down too is what do you want. The Mavic is also quieter. Cost vs Value vs Return the Mavic is the best choice. The Phantom is a slightly better choice for the Camera. Neither of them are professional. They are targeted at a consumer.

Both are winners. One is just portable and comes in at a better price with the features. The other aims for quality on the camera. With editing and patience personally I doubt the average user will see the differences as far as the camera is concerned. The Mavic has a camera that's more than acceptable. Technology has changed a lot these smaller cameras are much better as well.

You'd need an inspire if it was all about the camera. That's my opinion. Although the Phantom has been widely accepted with commercial. So this is definitely a subject for debate. The Mavic is a bit unproven in that department. But with a skilled user, I'm confident it can more than keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: ACR
Phantom it is.
One more thing to add. The P4P did a lot better at night when I tried it out. Less noise... larger sensor. Also the ability to take a picture and film at the same time. Mavic you have to stop the video and then take a picture.. annoyance for sure.

Differences are minor. Both drones don't come anywhere near a DSLR. The Mavic is a better choice for portability and price. It does have a lot of features for the price and in some ways out performs the Phantom with its ability. The Phantom no doubt has a better camera but again the differences aren't huge and you pay more, a lot more for the P4P. What it really comes down too is what do you want. The Mavic is also quieter. Cost vs Value vs Return the Mavic is the best choice. The Phantom is a slightly better choice for the Camera. Neither of them are professional. They are targeted at a consumer.

Both are winners. One is just portable and comes in at a better price with the features. The other aims for quality on the camera. With editing and patience personally I doubt the average user will see the differences as far as the camera is concerned. The Mavic has a camera that's more than acceptable. Technology has changed a lot these smaller cameras are much better as well.

You'd need an inspire if it was all about the camera. That's my opinion. Although the Phantom has been widely accepted with commercial. So this is definitely a subject for debate. The Mavic is a bit unproven in that department. But with a skilled user, I'm confident it can more than keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Well, everything points towards me getting a phantom. The only concern I had on it is whether the mavic has better range or vice versa. My friend is getting a mavic (we are going to do some exploring from the skies), and I want to know if his cheaper drone would beat mine in range, which if it did would kind of be stupid.

First, let me say they are both fantastic drones.
The Mavic is the way to go if you want to be on the move.
The Phantom 4 is the way to go for more features and superior camera. Love them both and depends on your expectations. My first drone was a P3 standard and graduated to the Mavic Pro and my lastest P4 Pro. Truly love them all. For portability My Mavic Pro is the best. For videos, photos and flying preformance nothing I have flown even comes close to the P4 Pro. Price can also factor into the choice.
Dr E Cohen MD

Reactions: ksull72487
Well, everything points towards me getting a phantom. The only concern I had on it is whether the mavic has better range or vice versa. My friend is getting a mavic (we are going to do some exploring from the skies), and I want to know if his cheaper drone would beat mine in range, which if it did would kind of be stupid.
I have the P4 and the Mavic. IMO the Mavic video and images is not nearly as good as the P4 so I am sure the P4P would be even better. As stated; the Mavic's primary asset is being portable for it is lacking in producing images up to par for my needs, though I am not a professional. The Mavic also under-performs my P4 in stronger winds on several occasions, although it does hover more accurately. I am considering returning mine and using my P4 until the Mavic 2 comes along with hopefully a better image quality set.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa