DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic or P4P?

Swaggy Evan

Reactions
I want a drone with good quality and good range. I am curious as to which one to get, and I want the one with the best range. As I'm not getting any info on the phantom forum maybe you guys could help, as you own mavics? I want to use the drone as a job and keep it for photography, so I know which one has the better camera, (p4p) but which has superior range? Thanks.

Reactions: R30Rush
I want a drone with good quality and good range. I am curious as to which one to get, and I want the one with the best range. As I'm not getting any info on the phantom forum maybe you guys could help, as you own mavics? I want to use the drone as a job and keep it for photography, so I know which one has the better camera, (p4p) but which has superior range? Thanks.
Their ranges are identical. 7km. P4P uses Lightbridge and Mavic uses Ocusync. Mavic is very portable which makes traveling photography a whole lot easier, but P4P has better image quality.

You pretty much answered your question. If you need it for a job that specifically calls for photography then the P4P is the drone for you. The Mavic Pro camera will make post production difficult and cumbersome to pass any QC in a professional environment.

Range will be more than enough on either.

You pretty much answered your question. If you need it for a job that specifically calls for photography then the P4P is the drone for you. The Mavic Pro camera will make post production difficult and cumbersome to pass any QC in a professional environment.

Range will be more than enough on either.
How come I have seen scattered results of range tests on YouTube? Like some say the mavic at long ranges is less glitchy and etc.?

How come I have seen scattered results of range tests on YouTube? Like some say the mavic at long ranges is less glitchy and etc.?
I honestly don't fly my Mavic Pro past LOS (Line of Sight) but even still I get weak signal errors in some instances.

How far do you plan on flying? In urban areas, range is limited. No matter what drone you use. Liability isn't worth that risk.

I honestly don't fly my Mavic Pro past LOS (Line of Sight) but even still I get weak signal errors in some instances.

How far do you plan on flying? In urban areas, range is limited. No matter what drone you use. Liability isn't worth that risk.
A mile or so at the most is what I plan on flying. Flying out of sight is one of my favorite things to do, I just don't know if I want to spend 1800 on a drone.. but deep down I know it's worth it.

I've personally pushed the drone to 4.2km in high wind before my battery was only enough to return home. The signal was still strong. I had no signal loss that far out, and my HD drone log for that flight shows a perfect signal score.

Well, maybe the mavic is right for me then.. but is the camera good enough for some commercial use?
I wouldn't recommend it for commercial work. Anyone here that does actual commercial work should be able to tell you. Just look at all the posts with image quality issues of water coloring and over sharpening. You frequently run the risk of footage being unusable. I use the Mavic for traveling and the fun in capturing moments. It could be used for commercial work but you have to be extremely aware of your settings and post production would require extra attention to detail. For work, I would use something else.

Don't get me wrong the Mavic is state of the art. But there is no comparison with the P4P in terms of image quality. Even the P4 has better footage despite having the same sensor.

Reactions: Swaggy Evan
I wouldn't recommend it for commercial work. Anyone here that does actual commercial work should be able to tell you. Just look at all the posts with image quality issues of water coloring and over sharpening. You frequently run the risk of footage being unusable. I use the Mavic for traveling and the fun in capturing moments. It could be used for commercial work but you have to be extremely aware of your settings and post production would require extra attention to detail. For work, I would use something else.

Don't get me wrong the Mavic is state of the art. But there is no comparison with the P4P in terms of image quality. Even the P4 has better footage despite having the same sensor.
Yeah, and I just did some more reading, and it seems like the post above just got a p4p that goes less far. (Same experience with dirtbikes, some will come different then others). Atleast that is what I believe. I think I am leaning more towards a p4p now.. and if I don't like it, I can always use the seven day refund policy.

Reactions: KevinT
Yeah, and I just did some more reading, and it seems like the post above just got a p4p that goes less far. (Same experience with dirtbikes, some will come different then others). Atleast that is what I believe. I think I am leaning more towards a p4p now.. and if I don't like it, I can always use the seven day refund policy.
I did the opposite, I bought the Mavic a couple months ago and after the 'wow' factor wore off, I'm starting to realize it's shortcomings. I hate the look/footprint of the P4P but the image it produces is amazing. That's what matters most to me now because at the end of the day, it's a flying camera. I'm sure the next Mavic will be something to watch for.

Last edited:
Reactions: willhay555
I did the opposite, I bought the Mavic a couple months ago and after the 'wow' factor wore off, I'm starting to realize it's shortcomings. I hate the look/footprint of my newly purchased P4P but the image it produces is amazing. That's what matters most to me now because at the end of the day, it's a flying camera. I'm sure the next Mavic will be something to watch for.
Yeah. Don't get me wrong, but if I got the mavic, I would most likely want the p4p once the newness wore off. I would most likely regret not getting the p4p in the end, honestly.

They move on so fast that in 6-12 months what you get now will be superseded by something better for the same cost or less.
This time next year there will be a Mavic2 with a much improved camera.
You'll have to buy accessories again too because everything from batteries to lens size will be subtly different.

The folding format has been such a hit I suspect the P4Pro might be the last using that style of shell.

Reactions: E7FYN
I do professional jobs with my Mavic, as well as my old P3P and P4. No problem with image quality or anything. When I need uber-image for TV broadcast or something, I rent an uber-drone. Framing, light, composition, etc. are more important than pixels, at least most of the times and for my usual clients.

It's hard to tell in words how much the size makes a difference. Ppl say it all the time everywhere but you gotta integrate it into your lifestyle to really grasp it. But more to the point, it's not only easier to carry everywhere: it's also smaller and agile, thus easier to get closer to the subjects and around (or even inside) places.

P.S.: re.: range - My long range champ is the P3P, goes even farther than my Mavic. Solid, stable, reliable. The P4 is a joke, someday soon I'll sell it and get a P4P but I won't get rid of the Mavic not until DJI releases a perhaps better MP2.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteelFlyer
I'm not professional, but I do like taking quality photos. Being a guy that travels internationally, being able to bring my Mavic with is a serious plus for me. I'd need a separately checked baggage for the P4P.

Reactions: robee683
The portability of the Mavic makes it a no brainer for me...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky