DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic or P4P?

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, but if I got the mavic, I would most likely want the p4p once the newness wore off. I would most likely regret not getting the p4p in the end, honestly.

and vice versa. If you buy the P4P you are still going to be thinking you should have bought the Mavic.
I own both drones for simple reasons:

- MAVIC is for when I want portability for hiking, and traveling (domestically and internationally) in planes on family vacations,etc. Very good drone, stable in strong winds.

- P4P is for serious photography, perhaps the best drone in its class and maybe the first one in the world with an actual shutter. It's like a flying dslr.

In terms of range, in my flying environment, they are pretty much the same. The Mavic and P4P beat my old P4 in terms of range.

As we speak, we are packing for a trip out of the country. We leave in 3 days for a week and a half. Guess which drone is coming on this trip, the Mavic!!.

Reactions: joet
IMG_3668.JPG IMG_2800.JPG

Assuming you're travelling to your drone work in a car and image quality is paramount then get the P4P.

I wonder if P4P's 1" sensor is good enough for serious photography or do you need an Inspire 2 instead and Mavic Pro when traveling light.

It is actually quite a bit better. I've done some research on the cameras. I'm also taking it from people on phantom forum who own P4Ps and Mavics.
Great info. Can you provide links to tests that confirm the superiority of P4P camera for stills? On paper it should be better.

Sent from my Pixel C using MavicPilots mobile app

Great info. Can you provide links to tests that confirm the superiority of P4P camera for stills? On paper it should be better.

Sent from my Pixel C using MavicPilots mobile app
theres an article over on myfirstdrone.com

There is no comparison between the Mavic Pro camera and the P4P. Thats like comparing a cell phone camera to a DSLR. The P4P has a mechanical shutter, thats all that really needs to be said.

Here's a video shot on a P4P, the Mavic doesn't even contend. (video from myfirstdrone article)

theres an article over on myfirstdrone.com

There is no comparison between the Mavic Pro camera and the P4P. Thats like comparing a cell phone camera to a DSLR. The P4P has a mechanical shutter, thats all that really needs to be said.

Here's a video shot on a P4P, the Mavic doesn't even contend. (video from myfirstdrone article)

Sorry for not being clear. I have no doubt that P4P is better than Mavic Pro for video.
However, I am talking/asking about stills performance: is it visibly better, any pointers?

The reason I am asking is because I wonder which drone would significantly improve quality of my stills (I only own Mavic).

BTW: Mavic has a 1/2.3" sensor (larger than iPhone's sensor, same size as some pocketable Canon cameras) while P4P has a 1" sensor (similar to Sony RX100 or AX100 video camera). DSLRs have much larger sensors than P4P and most likely a much better still performance. IMO, m43 is the smallest sensor size that produces excellent stills quality.

Sorry for not being clear. I have no doubt that P4P is better than Mavic Pro for video.
However, I am talking/asking about stills performance: is it visibly better, any pointers?

The reason I am asking is because I wonder which drone would significantly improve quality of my stills (I only own Mavic).

BTW: Mavic has a 1/2.3" sensor (larger than iPhone's sensor, same size as some pocketable Canon cameras) while P4P has a 1" sensor (similar to Sony RX100 or AX100 video camera). DSLRs have much larger sensors than P4P and most likely a much better still performance. IMO, m43 is the smallest sensor size that produces excellent stills quality.
If you want to see which is visibly better here is a video:

Reactions: Slantnose79
I want a drone with good quality and good range. I am curious as to which one to get, and I want the one with the best range. As I'm not getting any info on the phantom forum maybe you guys could help, as you own mavics? I want to use the drone as a job and keep it for photography, so I know which one has the better camera, (p4p) but which has superior range? Thanks.
I had to make the exact same decision. the P4P wins in every category, stability speed, camera etc IMO. What it lacks is portability. If you travel by car mostly then a P4P is the way to go. If you fly a lot like I do, you may feel the P4P may be larger to lug around with your computer and other luggage. If you are ok with the size of the P4P then go for that one, in my own testing performed much better.

I honestly don't fly my Mavic Pro past LOS (Line of Sight) but even still I get weak signal errors in some instances.

How far do you plan on flying? In urban areas, range is limited. No matter what drone you use. Liability isn't worth that risk.

Yesterday I did some filming in the bush here in Nigeria. The bird was furthest about 2km away from me and that is scary. 7km sounds nice but I will most likely never get that far. Nice for bartalk but in reality... doubt it

Adventure is just bad planning

The Mavic exhibits color grading due to the sensor size (as per DJI's official response) which results in a warmer circle in the middle of the still image. Mine is yellowish, another forum member has a red circle. This is with shooting DNG. JPGs exhibit it to a lesser degree.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111