DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic owners, bad news about the Gimbal ribbon cable

Has your ribbon camera cable been replaced, by you or a third party

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have changed the cable on my mavic 2 time and as i know it damaged when it got hot during the flight
Thats interesting, because I get a wind warning alot when flying, I wonder if it's over working the gimbal. How did you know it was hot while flying? Did you just feel the cable when landed?

Thats interesting, because I get a wind warning alot when flying, I wonder if it's over working the gimbal. How did you know it was hot while flying? Did you just feel the cable when landed?

The first time it got damaged i did not notice that but the second time by mistake i check the gimbal it was extremely hot and the message show in app gimbal restarting and overloaded

The first time it got damaged i did not notice that but the second time by mistake i check the gimbal it was extremely hot and the message show in app gimbal restarting and overloaded

An MP user I talked too "burnt" his Gimbal Ribbon for no apparent reason. I hope this defect has already been corrected on some models...including mine.

i have received a response from DJI, i got a ticket a few days ago, here is a copy of their email:

91fcf03ba3327c2e178502ac3f21b5ef

John A (DJI)
6月29日 CST03:58
Hi

Thank you for contacting DJI.

We are very sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your DJI product. Unfortunately after troubleshooting we suggest that you send it to us for repair.

To make the repair process easier and more convenient, we created an Online Repair Request system for you. After filling out the online forms you will receive a case number.

To get started with your online repair request click: HERE

To check on the case status click: HERE

Since you have 2 mavics that have the same issue, you will have to make 1 online repair per mavic, 1 per mavic unit.

If you have more questions in the future feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,
Jj
DJI NA TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Tel Support: +1(818)235 0789 / Mon-Fri 7:00AM-5:00PM(PST)
Online Support: DJI Support - Here for You

My response, i copied mostly my original post on here.

thanks for reply,

after much research and close analysis for this issue i have found the reason for this systemic problem, and why so many people also have this problem.

I wondered why there was so many people were getting gimbal overloaded error problems.

People were getting the error in the event of a crash because of a damaged ribbon cable, but why people like me with a brand new Mavic or hardly flown craft with no crash or heavy landings getting the same error. very strange.

Because i have had two Mavics with the exact same problem i was convinced there must be a systemic problem.
I think i have discovered the problem, its the gimbal ribbon cable. So why is mine broken on both Mavics with maybe 10 flights on each.

The first photo is where the break is.
The second photo is why i suspect it is being damaged.

This is only speculation, but the movement of the gimbal over time seems to be "pulling" the cable off line, on that "nick" eventually stressing it, causing a spilt. Note the cable is not straight as it should be.

Its seems to be a design problem. The gimbal start up sequence is stretching the ribbon cable over the "nick" in photo 2, and over time its pulling and breaking the cable.

I will not be sending it back to you, as UK law is very clear, that on purchase my contract is with the retailer and not with the manufacturer, and i have already replaced one Mavic with them under my one year warranty UK customer retail law.

I would suggest that DJI address this issue quickly, as it a matter of time before many units will need warranty repair.

On a more positive note, this is a fantastic product, its a shame its been let down by a small vulnerable gimbal ribbon cable.

Any feedback would be appreciated,
Many thanks,

Tony Wilson

This is exactly the same as my Mav. Came out of the box like this. What I found interesting is that when I upgraded to FW .600 it changes the way that it performs the initialization. And not sure why but if I just turn on the Mav without it being connected to the APP then it still gives me the error. But like yours I can mess with it ( had not tried the 90 degree - will try that ) but after the .600 upgrade, if I have the mav all connected, phone set up and DJI Go open then it usually ( most of the time ) initializes the first time correctly. I did open a ticket, but after all the reading I decided not to send it back ( Yet ). Right now I find it more of an inconvenience - but at the same time not acceptable

They have changed their form letter, when they first responded to me after I sent video they told me the gimbal was damaged. This unit has never been crashed ( or dropped for that matter ) never been wet and has never been turned on with the gimbal clamp.

This is exactly the same as my Mav. Came out of the box like this. What I found interesting is that when I upgraded to FW .600 it changes the way that it performs the initialization. And not sure why but if I just turn on the Mav without it being connected to the APP then it still gives me the error. But like yours I can mess with it ( had not tried the 90 degree - will try that ) but after the .600 upgrade, if I have the mav all connected, phone set up and DJI Go open then it usually ( most of the time ) initializes the first time correctly. I did open a ticket, but after all the reading I decided not to send it back ( Yet ). Right now I find it more of an inconvenience - but at the same time not acceptable

They have changed their form letter, when they first responded to me after I sent video they told me the gimbal was damaged. This unit has never been crashed ( or dropped for that matter ) never been wet and has never been turned on with the gimbal clamp.
Thanks for your input, that's very interesting. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue, it's still inconclusive. Have you inspected your gimbal ribbon cable thoroughly with a magnifying glass.

Can you move the motors with the RC? Does it fail to move at all during power up?

Wow, some great troubleshooting tips there, thank you.

For me, though, the camera seems to work just fine. Video displayed in the app and the gimbal motors all seem to work: the start-up calibration does its thing and you can manually initiate the calibration from the app - it just fails every time with that gimbal overload error.

I've bitten the bullet and sent it for DJI Care Refresh repair. I would have preferred to repair it myself but with getting parts (and replacement parts!) from the US my MP has been out of action since April, which is very sad.

I got "camera sensor error" and "hardware malfunction" for no apparent reason. No crash no hard landing. After hand catch MP, decided to take off again and got these two error messages. Now MP will boot but without gimbal startup, and GO4 app shows no video feed. Make me wondering if this is something to do with the ribbon issue? CS want me to send it in for repair btw.

Ribbon cable seems to be a fault, I've had same issue after a few flights, no crashes, no hard landings but ribbon cable failed. Had my Mavic for 7 months but only a 6 month warranty. Tried replacing it but no luck, so sent it back to DJI! They can shove it!!

Reactions: dupuisdaddyo
Same here, gimbal error after 7 months with 6 month warranty. US$615 to replace the entire gimbal/camera in South Africa as DJI does not authorize the local agents to repair gimbal, can do replacement only. US$70 for courier to send back to HK and then repair and return shipping at my cost. The words DJI Support/Warranty now leave a very sour taste in my mouth.

sn0vpk.jpg

My cable, it's definitely twisted a bit but hard to tell if it's actually damaged.

I am done with the Mavic now, getting tired of fixing the ribbon cable, got the Spark with controller. No problems so far, in fact its brilliant for its size. I will be selling off 3 Mavic batteries, case, filters ect. I am on the Spark forum now. Goodbye and Good luck

OK, my new ribbon cable arrived today delivered by DHL, ordered from Banggood on 27 Sept using expedited shipping (4-8 days). It took 13 days in total or 9 working days from China to South Africa. I had already removed the old cable making sure I knew how it all came apart. Difficulties were removing the top cover from the 2 clips at the front as it feels like it's going to break while doing it, and figuring out how to run the new cable, I kept referring to the old cable to see where the bends were. Also the small plugs inside are sealed with tiny drop of a type of silicone a few of which you have to remove which breaks the silicone.

I installed the new cable which is a fiddly, delicate job. Went back a couple times to check that it was all going OK, the instructional video on YouTube that I used doesn't show reassembly or cable placement at all well so I just did the best I could.

Anyway powered the Mavic on and it all works fine, gimbal is back to normal! Awesome! Will test fly in the morning but it seems to work fine at all angles and all controls work fine too. Calibration is normal and there are no problems.

Disgusted at DJI for only giving a 6 month warranty on the gimbal, almost like they know it's going to break...

I am done with the Mavic now, getting tired of fixing the ribbon cable, got the Spark with controller. No problems so far, in fact its brilliant for its size. I will be selling off 3 Mavic batteries, case, filters ect. I am on the Spark forum now. Goodbye and Good luck

Huh just two months ago you replaced cables and said everything is fine! What happened?

Rob

It's failed through normal use or ....?
Worked perfectly when I Ground tested it. Put it in the car. 8 hour car trip later the ribbon cable fails again on start up. I didn't crash the car and it was secured properly, with its camera bubble and expensive foam case. I think the cable has a certain life span on its movement, then fails.

Reactions: Pepzki
I wondered why there was so many people were getting gimbal overloaded error problems.

People were getting the error in the event of a crash because of a damaged ribbon cable, but why people like me with a brand new Mavic or hardly flown craft with no crash or heavy landings getting the same error. very strange.

Because i have had two Mavics with the exact same problem i was convinced there must be a systemic problem.
I think i have discovered the problem, its the ribbon cable. So why is mine broke on both Mavics with maybe 10 flights on each.

The first photo is where the break is.
The second photo is why i suspect it is being damaged.

This is only speculation, but the movement of the gimbal over time seems to be "pulling" the cable off line, on that "nick" eventually stressing it, causing a spilt. Note the cable is not straight as it should be.

Its seems to be a design problem. If i file down the metal "nick" in the gimbal arm, possibly that might reduce the pulling stress on the ribbon cable.

I have a choice, either i send it back for a third time, keep it as it is, because it works fine if i use the "start up the Mavic at 90 degrees trick" or try to modify the gimbal and replace the cable.View attachment 16021 View attachment 16022

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer