DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

So just to clarify and excuse me if this question is already been answered:

With this battery mod does the app display the total percentage of battery remaining in combination to the Mavic's intelligent flight battery and with the mod together. And, does the controller display and calculate the total remaining time to return to home again in conjunction with the modded battery added along with the Mavic intelligent flight battery on board?

And what about the current battery percentage level? Will show continuous a 100% as both the modded battery and the Mavic's intelligent flight battery begin to deplete in charge?

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
I'll buy 1!!
its in testing faze, it depends on lipo you chose, I was using 910 mah size, I can send file if you want to print for free, or us 3dhubs.com they use local guys who print nearest you, but I'm not at home now but will be on Tuesday, if you remind me then, I will send

Reactions: Natedoggz
its in testing faze, it depends on lipo you chose, I was using 910 mah size, I can send file if you want to print for free, or us 3dhubs.com they use local guys who print nearest you, but I'm not at home now but will be on Tuesday, if you remind me then, I will send
Will do, thanks

It'll only show your stock battery level. With add on batteries the percentage drops a lot slower. Mike Faith

Reactions: mereflyer
As an RC enthusiast of 8 years i fail to see the point of this.

What is the actual point?

Since he stated increased endurance in both P and S mode how could you fail to see the point?

All of the RC people I've known are always tinkering, improving, improvising, inventing and pushing things further. I personally think this mod is wonderful even if it isn't for me. The location of the batteries is low and near the CoG so other than the extra weight and drag it is not going to challenge the (aggressive) stability of the MP.

Other posters have raised some good questions of all sorts w/o questioning the point of it.

So just to clarify and excuse me if this question is already been answered:

With this battery mod does the app display the total percentage of battery remaining in combination to the Mavic's intelligent flight battery and with the mod together. And, does the controller display and calculate the total remaining time to return to home again in conjunction with the modded battery added along with the Mavic intelligent flight battery on board?

There would be no way for the battery circuit to calculate anything other than what is in the original battery . Adding extra batteries in parallel would show 100% until the overall voltage begins to drop but the logic would be calculating remaining time and distance according to the known capacity of the original battery .

That's fair enough, but you will be putting extra load on the motors and esc's with the extra heat.

How have you connected up the extra batteries?
I can't see how they can charge the mavic pack, surely if connected up in parallel with mavic pack you are juust creating one big 3s battery?

The ESC's can handle the extra load w/o issue, esp. in P-mode. At the top of S-mode you would get a lot of hight current warnings if it were an issue. Haven't heard boo on that.

I've seen videos of the MP lifting nearly 1 Kg. 176 g is not straining anything.

All that for only 6 more minutes? Sorry but new to this hobby. Does 6 more minutes really help anything?

I screwed up a POI recording yesterday and had to start over. But the battery was getting to 33% and I was 500 m away so I had to scrub that and come back for a battery flip. Because of the battery flip another location was then off of the books and I had to go home.

That 6 minutes could not only save one "mission" but avoid a domino effect on others when you go to the field with so many minutes of battery time.

Here is the new long-range from FPVcustoms.com . It ties into the main power cable. Also included is a battery bracket. A 3s LIHV battery (3000 to 4000ma) is recommended for use with this mod. This mod is hardwired.

Hardwired to the aircraft or to the battery?

It looks like about a 20% increase in flight time.
The increase is probably more than 20%, but the extra weight just drags it right back down again. The extra weight would also hinder the balance and stability to some extent. Kudos to this guy for coming up with a creative solution, but I just don't see why anyone would do this. Now, if a company came up with an extended battery to replace the existing, with the same fit, but a "hump back", with a minimal gain in weight, then... maybe? But still probably not, because there is a lot of technology in those batteries. I have 3 of them, and coming in to land for a battery change is not a big deal. And, if you are flying so far away that you need that extra time, then you might want to go back and read the rules and laws for flying.
Still, it IS cool to see people trying to innovate. Perhaps this research will eventually lead to a more useful solution down the road. And, it's always fun to "tinker".

Now, if a company came up with an extended battery to replace the existing, with the same fit, but a "hump back", with a minimal gain in weight, then... maybe?
".
I would probably jump on that . A lot of times when filming I just want to stay up that extra few minutes even though I may only be a few hundred feet away . Especially sunsets when I try to get different perspectives in changing light conditions . I'm sure some company can reproduce the battery only a bit larger capacity . HobbyKing 5000 mah for $54 maybe ? LOL

The increase is probably more than 20%, but the extra weight just drags it right back down again. The extra weight would also hinder the balance and stability to some extent. Kudos to this guy for coming up with a creative solution, but I just don't see why anyone would do this. Now, if a company came up with an extended battery to replace the existing, with the same fit, but a "hump back", with a minimal gain in weight, then... maybe? But still probably not, because there is a lot of technology in those batteries. I have 3 of them, and coming in to land for a battery change is not a big deal. And, if you are flying so far away that you need that extra time, then you might want to go back and read the rules and laws for flying.
Still, it IS cool to see people trying to innovate. Perhaps this research will eventually lead to a more useful solution down the road. And, it's always fun to "tinker".

The way he's installed his batteries, close to the CoG in the plane and below the CoG vertically, it will do little to the "balance" and pretty much nothing to the aggressive stability of the MP.

As to a "humpback" replacement, that would be great, and in terms of overall weight penalty I'd bet a 50% gain would be feasible.

Since he stated increased endurance in both P and S mode how could you fail to see the point?

All of the RC people I've known are always tinkering, improving, improvising, inventing and pushing things further. I personally think this mod is wonderful even if it isn't for me. The location of the batteries is low and near the CoG so other than the extra weight and drag it is not going to challenge the (aggressive) stability of the MP.

Other posters have raised some good questions of all sorts w/o questioning the point of it.

I suppose the reason i asked was because when a model is designed they figure out an optimal weight and pick a battery accordingly...a model will get to a weight where it's not really any advantage for flight time and the extra capacity just becomes dead weight.

Also i went from an f550 with up to 8 minutes to the mavic with an average of 23 minutes.
I would rather have more batteries than over load my model and risk failure.

The ESC's can handle the extra load w/o issue, esp. in P-mode. At the top of S-mode you would get a lot of hight current warnings if it were an issue. Haven't heard boo on that.

I've seen videos of the MP lifting nearly 1 Kg. 176 g is not straining anything.

You're simply guessing unless you test it, have YOU done power tests??....i didn't think so.

I suppose the reason i asked was because when a model is designed they figure out an optimal weight and pick a battery accordingly...a model will get to a weight where it's not really any advantage for flight time and the extra capacity just becomes dead weight.

Also i went from an f550 with up to 8 minutes to the mavic with an average of 23 minutes.
I would rather have more batteries than over load my model and risk failure.

The additional weight is 176 grams on an aircraft that weighs about 750 and has demonstrated the ability to lift nearly 2 Kg (admittedly to its absolute power limit which would never be advised).

In most regimes of flight, the extras power required is far less than the max continuous operating power of the drone.

He has demonstrated a significant increase in endurance, in particular in P-mode.

It's a good mod, IMO.

They also meet price points and factor in accessory sales for later . It would not surprise me if DJI themselves start offering a larger capacity battery in the future . $$$$$

Did anyone confirmed 500g is still OK to carry for reactivity of the mavic....?

Hi Guys, I want know My ordered the 3s 3000mah 30c battery pack, Will work with this 30c?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR