DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro FLY AWAY - Help DJI not helping

The upside to these posts (for new pilots) is that I have gotten more "how not too" information from some OP's on this forum then I could have imagined.

It is just plain amazing. How many beers or margaritas at that hour, or where did common sense go?
At least the pilot had the decency to upload his flight records for entertainment purposes for many and heard shaking for others.

Appreciate your input. I knew I needed my flame suit when I posted this. Honestly this was the first night I flew the MPP and wanted to see how high/far it would go lol. Once I realized wind was the factor in returning home I couldn't figure out how to engage Sport mode. (may have been the beers.) My Mavic Air range is limited and have hundreds of flights with 0 incidents.

Appreciate your input. I knew I needed my flame suit when I posted this. Honestly this was the first night I flew the MPP and wanted to see how high/far it would go lol. Once I realized wind was the factor in returning home I couldn't figure out how to engage Sport mode. (may have been the beers.) My Mavic Air range is limited and have hundreds of flights with 0 incidents.
Getting down was as important as SM I think.

What software do you use to get the 3D flight map?

The flight track and elevation are in the log file. There are numerous ways to convert those to a Google Earth kml file. The simplest is to upload to AirData or PhantomHelp and the website will create the kml file for you. The AirData kml file is cleaner. Then you just open it in Google Earth and modify it to extend the path to ground.

Reactions: AMann
I knew I needed my flame suit when I posted this.
Well admitting a mistake is half the battle.

Honestly this was the first night I flew the MPP and wanted to see how high/far it would go lol.
Well - not the best idea but you wouldn't be the first nor will you be the last to do this..

Once I realized wind was the factor in returning home I couldn't figure out how to engage Sport mode. (may have been the beers.)
BRUH.

Get your flame suit back out. Clip clop clip clop.. Internet PO-LEEEASE on the way.

My Mavic Air range is limited and have hundreds of flights with 0 incidents.
So you still have a functional drone? Advice... do not attempt to replicate that flight with the Air. You will be droneless. Just sayin

W
It switched to RTH when the battery percentage fell below the calculated SMART_BATTERY_goHomeBattery level at 38%, but could not hold against the wind. Extrapolating battery level and drift rate relative to the SMART_BATTERY_landBattery level, which was 24% at that altitude, and estimating 130 seconds to descend in a wind field linear with altitude, it would be expected to have landed at around 4650 m from the home point:

View attachment 56887

View attachment 56888

That looks like alligator country.

On the issue of flying at over 1600 ft in 1300 ft Class C Orlando International airspace - that seems like an extraordinarily poor decision, even at 2 in the morning.
What he said

To the OP at least you posted this for us to learn from the very experienced guys here. To the guys that analised the data I am so glad I am a member here.

The more I see incidents like the OP's the more I think the same. No licence, no drone. You only have to look at the Gatwick incident here in the UK as an example of how idiots are ruining it for the rest of us.
Of course, now we know the Gatwick incident was a police error, their own drone reported, and the couple arrested not anywhere near the airport at the time.

Of course, now we know the Gatwick incident was a police error, their own drone reported, and the couple arrested not anywhere near the airport at the time.

No - we really don't know that at all. Firstly - police drones weren't there when the initial reports that shut down the airport came in. Secondly, police drones weren't flying after the airport was reopened and further sightings were reported. That leaves sightings while the airport was shut down, some or all of which may well have been police drones.

Reactions: Lastrexking

Since when? Nobody knows that at all.

I’m afraid he is correct, no drones and those folks were innocent ‘‘twas in all the papers for one day, if u ask me it was a cover up for something else
Whole thing just did not add up or make sense

That’s just hearsay. There’s still a huge investigation going on down there, and it’s regularly in the press and on the news. There are currently over 70 witness reports, including my daughter who couldn’t get her flight to the US. She’s more than familiar with drones as she’s messed around with mine.

what was the drone doing at 1600 feet up anyway. I really hope that didn't just drop out the sky if it did id be counting my blessings that didn't hit anybody.
if you do get another drone please set your hiegfht limit to 120 meters not 500.
I thought there was a limit on the drone, where the controller wouldn't let you go above 400 feet. Marc.

I'm still kind of wondering if you were in a no fly zone. If so, why didn't your aircraft or Go 4 app stop you from flying? At any rate, it looks to me like you should have cancelled your RTH and start to descend a whole bunch, then maybe try your RTH again. Like these guys are saying, at that altitude, even with sport mode, it wouldn't have been enough. The other question I have, is, were you able to look at your Find my Drone feature? Of course if it is in alligator land, you might as well forget it, but if not, maybe you could pursue looking for it. Marc.

I thought there was a limit on the drone, where the controller wouldn't let you go above 400 feet. Marc.
Go 4 will allow a max of 500 meters (1640 feet).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottster03