DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro fly away.

DangerMouse

Reactions
Can anyone help me figure out what happened here? I was flying my mavic when all the sudden it lost connection with the controller. It was about 800ft away and just under 400ft in the air when it happened. Home point was set, good gps signal. When it lost connection I kinda ran after it to get back into range but to no avail. Searched the area marked by the find my drone app but its a huge area and I have no idea if the drone kept going or went down. Sent the logs into DJI and this was the response.

1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode in the flight;
2. The pilot pushed the pitch stick forward, the aircraft flew forward, then the flight record ended at T=02:47, H=120 m, D=244 m.

The record ended without any sign of abnormality, so we could not verify what happened afterward.

This is a common story. Your logs posted here would help, but I was to guess, I would say it is the same thing that happens to MANY new pilots.
You say your "controller" lost connection, I bet you are talking about the phone or tablet. Which is NOT the controller. If the controller loses connection, the Mavic just returns home.
This means the Remote control was still connected and you were still flying the Mavic.
If you were not in line of sight, you probably crashed into the ground, water, trees, buildings or whatever was around the mavic.
I could be wrong, post the logs and we will see what the pros think!

Reactions: bobj151
Sent the logs into DJI and this was the response.
2. The pilot pushed the pitch stick forward, the aircraft flew forward, then the flight record ended at T=02:47, H=120 m, D=244 m.
It's always difficult when the recorded flight data just stops.
But it's even harder to give you any idea without being able to see the data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Can anyone help me figure out what happened here? I was flying my mavic when all the sudden it lost connection with the controller. It was about 800ft away and just under 400ft in the air when it happened. Home point was set, good gps signal. When it lost connection I kinda ran after it to get back into range but to no avail. Searched the area marked by the find my drone app but its a huge area and I have no idea if the drone kept going or went down. Sent the logs into DJI and this was the response.

The record ended without any sign of abnormality, so we could not verify what happened afterward.
Sorry to hear this. Were you able to find your drone? I suggest you stick a tag with your contact details on it or if you have extra budget get a Tracking device for your drone like Trackimo.

So if that happens, is it best to just press RTH and hope it comes back?
1. We don't know what happened because the original poster hasn't provided any data.
2. If you have lost control signal, pressing anything on the controller won't do anything
3. If you have lost control signal, your drone is programmed to RTH.

That was also on my mind.
Then again, you potentially delay ability to regain signal.

Agreed. It's a compromise, but if you are concerned about having uplink but no downlink then it may still be the best option. On that subject, while data transmission is not done with acknowledged packets and so should be able to continue in just one direction, I'm not sure that I've ever positively seen a case where either downlink or uplink was lost independently. I'm still not certain whether it is possible.

It definitely was possible and has happened to me with P3.

As I mentioned I know it is possible on a P3 but I'm not certain either about M2. However sometimes when signal is lost, app asks if I want to RTH. Why ask if it has no way to act on my response, unless it thinks it has a chance to send the command?

In rare situations the remote's firmware can crash or freeze, the remote will loose its aircraft link then.
Usually this is caused by USB problems when communicating with the GO4 app.
In case this will happen, just unplug the USB connection, shutdown the remote and restart it. Usually the aircraft link will get re-established and you can safely continue the flight or initiate RTH. You should also restart the mobile device before reconnecting it via USB.

As I mentioned I know it is possible on a P3 but I'm not certain either about M2. However sometimes when signal is lost, app asks if I want to RTH. Why ask if it has no way to act on my response, unless it thinks it has a chance to send the command?
The P3 is not a mavic pro!!!LB works a little differently..

That doesn't make sense. If the downlink has been lost then how would the app know whether the uplink was still working?

Reactions: lavkesh
It wouldn't unless there's a low bandwidth downlink or carrier just for that sanity check.
But even if it doesn't know, it can still offer to send RTH just in case the AC would be able to hear it.
Translate:
"I am not receiving from the AC (disconnected) but it might still be hearing me. Initiate Go Home?"

It wouldn't unless there's a low bandwidth downlink or carrier just for that sanity check.
But even if it doesn't know, it can still offer to send RTH just in case the AC would be able to hear it.
Translate:
"I am not receiving from the AC (disconnected) but it might still be hearing me. Initiate Go Home?"

Right - I agree it can try to send the RTH command, but if downlink is lost the result is indeterminate - hence the only definite method is to turn off the RC. And I've never seen a set of logs where the aircraft DAT file indicated uplink but the mobile device DAT or txt had stopped due to loss of downlink. If anyone has seen such a thing then I'd certainly be interested to confirm that possibility.

I would think that loss of either uplink OR downlink would still be a trigger for RTH. Because how would the AC know which is down? All it Knows is there is no functioning connection.

I would think that loss of either uplink OR downlink would still be a trigger for RTH. Because how would the AC know which is down? All it Knows is there is no functioning connection.

The AC knows when it loses uplink, and that always triggers failsafe. The loss of video downlink certainly doesn't trigger RTH. I think that full downlink loss probably does trigger failsafe by ceasing uplink tranmissions, partly because I've never seen a case where downlink loss clearly did not do that and partly because once the RC registers "Disconnected" it doesn't make much sense to send commands that may or may not be received and acted on, but not logged. I don't know that for certain though.

I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. I was in a very open green area, no antennas nor buildings surround and even though, I lost signal. The RC showed me that the signal was lost, the app grayed out and the aircraft returned to home.

I did another flight, after regaining control and the same happened again. After that, I uploaded my flight data, posted here in this forum, and also opened a case in DJI support. Nobody answered around here and the support didn't find anything relevant. Never flew at that site again. My bird didn't lost signal again since then. I think there were some kind of magnectic interference somehow.

Read my post: Help on Downlink data connection lost for 60 seconds

Just a thought here, but what if he lost GPS right after the flight record ended and it went into ATTI mode. Also, I'm wondering if his compass was compromised some how before takeoff or after takeoff, but if that were true, I would think he would have gotten a compass error, so not sure about that? Marc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR