DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Range Extender - Maxx UAV

FLScout

Reactions
Thought I'd post a quick report on my first test run with the modified RC for the Mavic. Modification was done by Jake over at Maxx UAV. Living in a congested urban area of west Florida I have had trouble getting any range from my bird while flying from my own property. In the past I was only reaching out approximately a mile or mile and half before signal was scary low and i'd have to RTH. Today I put the modified RC to the test on the same Litchi waypoints mission and never lost a bar of signal at 1.5 miles. I look to try a real test over open terrain / water this weekend with the new remote but initial report is very positive on this modification of the RC for the Mavic! Only issue now is I had to upgrade my case to carry two RC's and the rest of my gear.
IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_1681.JPG

Two RC's.....was at first somewhat skeptical of the mod for the Mavic given where I fly most often. Got a RC from Salvage Dogs and used that one for the mod. Actually happy I did get a spare now as it gives me some options on what the need may be and travel / hiking space. Sometimes I take the bird with me in a backpack and don't carry the hard case.

Two RC's.....was at first somewhat skeptical of the mod for the Mavic given where I fly most often. Got a RC from Salvage Dogs and used that one for the mod. Actually happy I did get a spare now as it gives me some options on what the need may be and travel / hiking space. Sometimes I take the bird with me in a backpack and don't carry the hard case.

How hard would it be to just have one controller and pop off the antenna installing two duck bill antennas (that Maxx UAV sales) if you want to be more compact? Looks like (based on your pictures) two connectors for the wires and maybe a quick disconnect clip will remove that antenna off.

Reactions: TaserX
makes sense, thanks

Having one for pure portability as I plan to take my MP when I go mountain biking makes the case for the un-mod'ed RC where if I'm flying a distance mission you would want the mod'ed RC. Now... where to find another RC...

Reactions: Scoot-scoot
The modification changes the base screw in posts on the RC. Not as easy a switch as you may think as the DJI antenna do not go on the modified new posts. The frame holding the MAXX antenna is a two piece 3-D printed plastic that clips off/apart to remove and store if needed.

makes sense, thanks

Having one for pure portability as I plan to take my MP when I go mountain biking makes the case for the un-mod'ed RC where if I'm flying a distance mission you would want the mod'ed RC. Now... where to find another RC...
You can get one now through DJI under Mavic accessories or hit up SalvageDog on this forum, he did me right with a brand new RC.

Reactions: Mtb Uas
The modification changes the base screw in posts on the RC. Not as easy a switch as you may think as the DJI antenna do not go on the modified new posts. The frame holding the MAXX antenna is a two piece 3-D printed plastic that clips off/apart to remove and store if needed.

Yes, you would not use the stock antenna you would use these that MAXX UAV sales

2.4Ghz 5dBi Antennas (Pair)

Or something similar (does have to be their own brand) that are almost the same size as stock but won't fold quite as well was the stock antenna. Range should be just as good or better (with the DBI gain) as stock and you can finger unscrew them and swap from larger to small antenna in a matter of 1-2 min I would guess. It seems like you said the 3D printed plastic clips off. You would leave the 3D base on which is bulkier then a stock controller but again is not much bigger and save you from buying another 200 plus remote.

Reactions: MotorMan
Yes, you would not use the stock antenna you would use these
2.4Ghz 5dBi Antennas (Pair)

Or something similar that are almost the same size as stock but won't fold quite as well was the stock antenna. Range should be just as good as stock and you can finger unscrew them and swap from larger to small antenna in a matter of 1-2 min I would guess. It seems like you said the 3D printed plastic clips off. You would leave the 3D base on which is bulkier then a stock controller but again is not much bigger and save you from buying another 200 plus remote.
What is with people misusing this word? Is it a cool trendy thing that young outdoorsman say? Is using sell uncool? I see it all over craigslist and it drives me nuts!!!!

Sorry for derailing your thread FL. As you were!!!

I guess but hey YOLO.

LOL

I guess but hey YOLO.

My friend's son maxed out his CC going on a "down south" party vacation, couldn't make his car payments and it was repo'd.

He replied to his father's disbelief: YOLO, man!

His father replied: YOYO.

Son: YOYO?

Father: You're On Your Own.
;)

Last edited:
I understand that the booster extenders are in the works. I asked and yes they are working on the 2.4 booster extender upgrade like they make for the fantom

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I fell for this upgrade on my P2V+. In the end, I had no more range (video or control) than stock, and needed to mod my case. I sure hope this works better, but I'm happy to play sucker only once.

Thought I'd post a quick report on my first test run with the modified RC for the Mavic. Modification was done by Jake over at Maxx UAV. Living in a congested urban area of west Florida I have had trouble getting any range from my bird while flying from my own property. In the past I was only reaching out approximately a mile or mile and half before signal was scary low and i'd have to RTH. Today I put the modified RC to the test on the same Litchi waypoints mission and never lost a bar of signal at 1.5 miles. I look to try a real test over open terrain / water this weekend with the new remote but initial report is very positive on this modification of the RC for the Mavic! Only issue now is I had to upgrade my case to carry two RC's and the rest of my gear.
View attachment 6538 View attachment 6539 View attachment 6540

Complete mod on my mavic pro
radio and battery mod
5 miles out and 29 min flight time and returned with a
landed time of 21% left on battery.
I live in northern N J which is VERY congested with wifi..

Attachments

• drone 3.jpg
    drone 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 307
  • drone 4.jpg
    drone 4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 288
  • drone 1.jpg
    drone 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 313
  • drone 2.jpg
    drone 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Reactions: MavicMasterPro
I fell for this upgrade on my P2V+. In the end, I had no more range (video or control) than stock, and needed to mod my case. I sure hope this works better, but I'm happy to play sucker only once.

Personally, I suspect that there some snake oil involved with some of these Range Extenders.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Complete mod on my mavic pro
radio and battery mod
5 miles out and 29 min flight time and returned with a
landed time of 21% left on battery.
I live in northern N J which is VERY congested with wifi..

Cool setup. How can I replicate your Mavic pro radio setup?

Ghostrider215

View attachment 6538 View attachment 6539 View attachment 6540

Very cool, thanks for posting. I'm interested in this setup, can I buy an additional controller with this mod already done? Anyone out there selling it?

Ghostrider215

Personally, I suspect that there some snake oil involved with some of these Range Extenders.

The least appealing are the reflector types. The larger antenna types should have more gain via simple larger antenna area and possibly with more directionality due to beam pattern. But a bad connection, poorly tightened connector, etc. and it won't work well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78