DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Range in Residential Area?? Anyone Know??

Stringfellow-Hawke

Reactions
Question... Anyone fly in wi-fi interference thick areas such as suburban, residential, but not quite high building city areas? What would you estimate your effective range to be?? My guess would be 1 mile or less??
Anyone know from experience??

Question... Anyone fly in wi-fi interference thick areas such as suburban, residential, but not quite high building city areas? What would you estimate your effective range to be?? My guess would be 1 mile or less??
Anyone know from experience??

around half a mile or so before the signal gets weak. Never flown it so far that it drops completely though. Very dense suburban area.

Reactions: Cutaway
I've done 8.56 miles round trip (4.28 miles range) in residential area at 165 feet altitude. The key is having your launch point slightly elevated as compared to the area you're flying over. I'd say I was 50-100 feet higher on a hill. You need a clear view of the drone, with no trees or building approaching your line of sight to the craft. The antennae need to be oriented correctly and the controller aimed in the right direction. I was amazed at the range I got right over a downtown. I was only limited by the battery, not signal.

Last edited:
About 3,300 ft. is my max in a residential area. No sign of signal degradation, maintained smooth video, and healthydrones.com reported a very good signal the entire flight. I kept altitude high, around 350, and was able to maintain LOS with controller.

Reactions: Cutaway
8.56 miles is VERY impressive.. Agreed the elevation gives huge advantage... My main disadvantage is completely flat ground without any high ground.. About 1/2 mile would probably be the limit from ground level & aiming the controller toward the Mavic.. Lower altitude would lower that 1/2 mile range as well i would guess?

The higher the better, i've done one run at 100ft & the controller icon flashed at around 1/4 mile with 4 bars.. Wasn't in the red but flashing? Found that to be strange.. Probably wi-fi interference..

About 3,300 ft. is my max in a residential area. No sign of signal degradation, maintained smooth video, and healthydrones.com reported a very good signal the entire flight. I kept altitude high, around 350, and was able to maintain LOS with controller.

I managed 1.4 miles very dense tree area and liw take off point. suburban. Only at 60m then rc list signal so bought her home huge signal dense area too where i flew

Building in LOS don't help. Range drops significantly compared to open field

On the ground I managed 1 mile out, mostly with video degrade, It's very choppy or pixelated!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe