DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MavMount not perfect (what is right?)

OK, I went to the garage and got a section of 3/8th" clear line, cut it to length and then sliced it open in a straight line and placed it over the top edge as a test. Works great, tightened up the mount, no more wobble. I will get some black gas line tomorrow and glue it on with weather stripping adhesive. Some of the wobble I experienced may be to shaving down the arm gripper pads to accommodate my iPhone case, so I added some tape to the sides of the mount to compensate for that.

Attachments

• IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Reactions: RobP62
Got mav mount XL today and the quality is top notch. Still waiting for mavic to arrive. The good news is that I Will have a brand new Mavic where the controller has not been stretched out that I can test the mav mount on.
The math mount is the exact size of my iPhone 6 so I anticipate it will fit perfectly. Just want to send a note out to Aerial West and let him know he has made a superior product to the other options that are out there. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hey f6, just curious, why on top when there's a shelf of 2 tabs on each side below. They are nice and straight.

I noticed the same bit of play on mine as well when mounting it up. But it doesn't affect anything. I've had my IPad Air on it and my IPad Mini 4. Once you have it weighted with the IPad or device it tends to settle in a spot. I didn't notice of feel any movement when I used mine.

I personally would not be happy if I paid $76 bucks for something I had to jury rig with duct tape to get it to fit properly.

I guess I'm just picky.

Hey f6, just curious, why on top when there's a shelf of 2 tabs on each side below. They are nice and straight.
The wobble I had was along the top of the mount from front to back., the slot in the Mavic is wider than the mount is thick, so there is plenty of play as there is nothing to grip along the top, and I didn't want to chance any strain on the arms from the back and forth movement, my Air2 would rock back and forth, working its way down the arms. Now with the added width of the line it is very snug in the mount and the vinyl won't allow any movement.

I personally would not be happy if I paid $76 bucks for something I had to jury rig with duct tape to get it to fit properly.

I guess I'm just picky.
No, I am picky, it worked fine for most people out of the box, I just did not want ANY play or movement of the mount. And if you don't have one, and don't want one then why are you commenting?

No, I am picky, it worked fine for most people out of the box, I just did not want ANY play or movement of the mount. And if you don't have one, and don't want one then why are you commenting?

I was originally interested in this mount but felt it was too expensive for what it was.

My opinion.

Seeing your duct tape job prompted my comment, especially after reading your endless praise and promotion in this forum about how great the MavMount is.

I couldn't help myself.

I will personally be making my own with wood for the base that is the proper thickness with a ball mount and iPad Air holder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andart and skypros
I was originally interested in this mount but felt it was too expensive for what it was.

My opinion.

Seeing your duct tape job prompted my comment, especially after reading your endless posts about how great the MavMount is.

I couldn't help myself.

I will personally be making my own with wood for the base that is the proper thickness with a ball mount and iPad Air holder.
If you had asked I would have told you that the tape on the sides was because I trimmed down the gripper pads to accommodate my iPhone case because I hate removing it. So I had to add a little thickness to the side of the mount to make up for it. Has nothing to do with the MavMount.

Reactions: Aerial West
I personally would not be happy if I paid $76 bucks for something I had to jury rig with duct tape to get it to fit properly

Agree!

Hey guys, Mavmount no doubt is VERY well built, but after 3 batteries of flight time with it today, it is almost too "well built". I'm sorry but it is unnecessarily heavy and that does matter. There is no structural reason 60/70% of the weight of the base couldn't have been milled away during production and the base and swivel ball is complete overkill IMHO. Also I shouldn't have ordered the XL version as the larger iPads are just too unwieldy but this is my fault. I should have done more research. I will continue to use and test the Mavmount but I'm only giving it 3 out of 5 stars at this point.

Reactions: Andart
Thank You for posting this Andrew Bober

Honestly, for the price of the Mavmount, I would expect it to not wobble in the controller.... and I don't want to have to do mods to it either..... I am glad I held off buying one.
Maybe MavMount V2 or someone will come up with a better design.

Reactions: Andart
I think the weight is there to counter balance the weight of a iPad..... so it puts more weight at the base (wings) of the controller....

There is no structural reason 60/70% of the weight of the base couldn't have been milled away during production

Reactions: Aerial West
Agree!

Hey guys, Mavmount no doubt is VERY well built, but after 3 batteries of flight time with it today, it is almost too "well built". I'm sorry but it is unnecessarily heavy and that does matter. There is no structural reason 60/70% of the weight of the base couldn't have been milled away during production and the base and swivel ball is complete overkill IMHO. Also I shouldn't have ordered the XL version as the larger iPads are just too unwieldy but this is my fault. I should have done more research. I will continue to use and test the Mavmount but I'm only giving it 3 out of 5 stars at this point.
Hmmm? Maybe you should work out more, I am 68 and have no problem flying 4 batteries, the Mavic controller and MavMount is lighter than my P3 controller with long range antennas and iPad was, so I don't see a problem, is it over built, yep, sure is, is that an issue, nope, especially after wasting my money on 2 3D printed pieces of junk that was so flexible I got dizzy tracking the iPad. To each their own, but I would never complain about something built too well, in a world of cheap knock offs.

So does the base of the Mavmount simply need a lip at the top of the unit? Im guessing this would be easy to make right in future renditions, not sure what you do about the current units out there.

Hmmm? Maybe you should work out more, I am 68 and have no problem flying 4 batteries, the Mavic controller and MavMount is lighter than my P3 controller with long range antennas and iPad was, so I don't see a problem, is it over built, yep, sure is, is that an issue, nope, especially after wasting my money on 2 3D printed pieces of junk that was so flexible I got dizzy tracking the iPad. To each their own, but I would never complain about something built too well, in a world of cheap knock offs.
Notice I put "too well" in quotations. The base would be just as sturdy if it was skeletonized and less than half the weight.

Last edited:
So does the base of the Mavmount simply need a lip at the top of the unit? Im guessing this would be easy to make right in future renditions, not sure what you do about the current units out there.
With iPad mini and like sized displays there is no problem, it's only when you get to the XL mount and larger displays like the Air2 that this issue might be experienced, due to the top heavy nature of the tablet. Honestly I don't see how this could have been foreseen, and for most it won't be an issue at all. I just found that with my Air2 and a hood the weight would make it move. This ONLY happens when the tablet is mounted above or in front of the controller, NOT when mounted below, it's all about weight and angle. The vinyl tubing I added to the mount totally removed any movement for me. All the other mounts I tried were 3D and just too weak to be of much use.

Reactions: SkeeterHarris
Notice I put "too well" in quotations. The base would be just as sturdy if it was skeletonized and less than half the weight.
This is true, I am not in manufacturing so I won't speculate on the difficulty or added cost of a skeletonized base plate, perhaps there were production issues.

This is true, I am not in manufacturing so I won't speculate on the difficulty or added cost of a skeletonized base plate, perhaps there were production issues.
I am in the manufacturing business.... I'm a Type 07 SOT firearms manufacturer and while I don't own a CNC mill, I am very familiar with the process and costs involved. One time adjustment of the programming and a few more minutes on the mill per unit and done

Reactions: RobP62
I've tried inserting the mini 4 in the legs and I get the looseness like that too. Seems to be a lot of these mounts surfacing. That one sure looks nice other than the wobble.

Any real dialogue from the maker?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinstonH