DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max Height / Distance reached with DJI Goggles ???

TrayBoz

Reactions
I LOVE my DJI Goggles. Since I've had them I've worn them every flight and never look at my iPad. So I tried flying yesterday without even plugging in the iPad, just using the RC controller and the Goggles. So I just launched using the goggles - worked fine. For some reason, when I got about 100 feet away and ~ 100 feet up, the mavic braked abruptly and I got a message saying "Maximum Height Reached" and then "Maximum Distance Reached".

I was not in beginner mode. I had NOT set a Max Height or turned on Max Height in the settings. I did have Sports Mode Enabled in the settings tab in DJI GO 4. I thought, "crap" and landed immediately. I plugged in my iPad and verified that all the settings were correct - they were.

So I did NOT change any settings in DJI GO and launched again right away, this time with my iPad plugged into the controller. This time everything worked fine, no Max Height or Max Distance messages at all.

So are there some height/distance restrictions I'm unaware of when trying to fly using ONLY the Goggles with the RC Controller, and no tablet/phone?

Does anyone know what caused this?
I'm on the latest software version and latest firmware version.

On the bright side, I'm shocked and amazed: I'm 48 and have poor vision: near-sighted AND far-sighted. I use fairly strong progressive lenses in my glasses. I was expecting to have to use some readers with the goggles, but surprisingly the screen looks crystal clear with NO glasses or lenses at all. I even went to the dollar store and tried every different strength of readers to see if I could see any improvement, (just in case I was missing something and unaware of it) but they all made the image look blurry.

So some good news for those of you who wear glasses and are thinking of getting the goggles: you may not need any extra lenses at all - everyone's vision is different. I'm able to focus just fine to a very clear point just using the PD adjustment on the goggles.

I also noticed that it looks like they've taken away the GEO-FENCING setting in DJI GO with the latest firmware update. Does this mean that it's just always on or always off? Or did they move it and I missed it somehow?

Thanks for any insight or help you may have.

Reactions: Former Member
I LOVE my DJI Goggles. Since I've had them I've worn them every flight and never look at my iPad. So I tried flying yesterday without even plugging in the iPad, just using the RC controller and the Goggles. So I just launched using the goggles - worked fine. For some reason, when I got about 100 feet away and ~ 100 feet up, the mavic braked abruptly and I got a message saying "Maximum Height Reached" and then "Maximum Distance Reached".

I was not in beginner mode. I had NOT set a Max Height or turned on Max Height in the settings. I did have Sports Mode Enabled in the settings tab in DJI GO 4. I thought, "crap" and landed immediately. I plugged in my iPad and verified that all the settings were correct - they were.

So I did NOT change any settings in DJI GO and launched again right away, this time with my iPad plugged into the controller. This time everything worked fine, no Max Height or Max Distance messages at all.

So are there some height/distance restrictions I'm unaware of when trying to fly using ONLY the Goggles with the RC Controller, and no tablet/phone?

Does anyone know what caused this?
I'm on the latest software version and latest firmware version.

On the bright side, I'm shocked and amazed: I'm 48 and have poor vision: near-sighted AND far-sighted. I use fairly strong progressive lenses in my glasses. I was expecting to have to use some readers with the goggles, but surprisingly the screen looks crystal clear with NO glasses or lenses at all. I even went to the dollar store and tried every different strength of readers to see if I could see any improvement, (just in case I was missing something and unaware of it) but they all made the image look blurry.

So some good news for those of you who wear glasses and are thinking of getting the goggles: you may not need any extra lenses at all - everyone's vision is different. I'm able to focus just fine to a very clear point just using the PD adjustment on the goggles.

I also noticed that it looks like they've taken away the GEO-FENCING setting in DJI GO with the latest firmware update. Does this mean that it's just always on or always off? Or did they move it and I missed it somehow?

Thanks for any insight or help you may have.
You unfortunately have to log into DJI Go 4 for the height and distance limit to be lifted. Once you have logged in, you can disconnect your iPad. It is not necessary to have internet connectivity.

Reactions: TrayBoz
Since firmware .800 the aircraft needs to see the app at least once after every power up to unlock itself, that has been VERY widely documented. As said you can connect the phone/launch the app for 5 seconds then put the phone away if you want - but the whole point for this is that some important things like RTH height and loss of signal behavior that you'd be supposed to check before every flight can only be seen or changed form the app.

There is also the question of legality in operating an UAV without having a line of sight to it, and wearing the goggles certainly does interfere with that! While it may well be safer to use the goggles to fly a 'smart drone' in many situations than using a laggy phone with a glitch plague app, it will take legislators some of them there learnings to ever see the light, pun intended!

If you are flying with googles, you are supposed/required to have a spotter assisting you, keeping an eye out for flying objects that are out of the pilots goggle view, and to keep an eye out for some personbody "sneaking" up on you.

Tray, run fw.400-.700 on the bird and forget about that device:) ...you can keep fw.1000 on the goggles.

TIP: in flight, hit function key on goggles (you will see boxed crosshair) then you can zoom in/out by swiping goggles trackpad forward/backward.
press function again on goggles to exit zoom mode. zoom will stay where left.

To lift restrictions on the mavic air I had to start with smartphone, take off and hover, disconnect smartphone and then the image came on in goggles and I was able to fly without restrictions. The Mavic Air doesn't let you have video in the goggles and on the connected smartphone at the same time. Worked well after that including a couple of take off and landings before I powered off. Awesome experience otherwise!

To lift restrictions on the mavic air I had to start with smartphone, take off and hover, disconnect smartphone and then the image came on in goggles and I was able to fly without restrictions. The Mavic Air doesn't let you have video in the goggles and on the connected smartphone at the same time. Worked well after that including a couple of take off and landings before I powered off. Awesome experience otherwise!
This worked great for me thanks, do you a spinning problem though when using the goggles?

The reason you can use your Goggles without glasses is because you are near sighted. Even normal sighted people can benefit from readers (unless they have phenomenal powers of accommodation) because the screens are too close to the eyes for normal vision folks to focus on. That’s the reason that DJI recommends adding an extra diopter to your regular reading glasses. Tells you that a person who doesn’t need glasses would benefit from a 1.0 diopter pair of reading glasses. Near sighted people already have extra diopters which is the reason why they are near sighted. It is a design fault in my opinion, the Goggles should already have close focusing aid built in to help people with normal vision.

i agree.

i have never needed any sort of glasses, be it for reading or not. but with the goggles i have to use a set of dollar store +2.0's. once i have those in place, the focus is perfect.

The reason you can use your Goggles without glasses is because you are near sighted. Even normal sighted people can benefit from readers (unless they have phenomenal powers of accommodation) because the screens are too close to the eyes for normal vision folks to focus on. That’s the reason that DJI recommends adding an extra diopter to your regular reading glasses. Tells you that a person who doesn’t need glasses would benefit from a 1.0 diopter pair of reading glasses. Near sighted people already have extra diopters which is the reason why they are near sighted. It is a design fault in my opinion, the Goggles should already have close focusing aid built in to help people with normal vision.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB