DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More bad press

I hear that. But British tabloids love this type of thing

What I love is the crafty way they worded the headline. Then midway into the article they mention that he was not on board but it is the helicopter he normally flies.

One today from the BBC claiming a plane had a near miss at 10,000 ft with a drone:

Passenger jet approaching Heathrow in drone 'near-miss' - BBC News

I'm not familiar with the capabilities of bigger commercial drones but still wondered is it even possible for drones to reach 10,000 feet?
a few have with mods i believe, mainly older phantoms etc, there have been a few posted on you tube although how reliable these are i have no idea. it is perfectly possible to make that height with no altitude restriction in the software.

if you can fly it 4 miles then no reason it cant make 10 thousand except for being restricted.

Some older drones do not have that software restriction in place.

As always the higher or further you go the more chance of losing it.

i live 3 miles from HTWA runway and to be honest you do not have to be close to HTWA to see how low they fly in on the approach path. The worst though is take off as those runways are so long that you can easily think you are a long way away and find yourself staring down the nose of a jumbo. Living this close to one of the busiest airports in the world i can see exactly why a 5 mile limit is in operation.

The other day i went two miles down the road but in line with where i live to the approach/take off end of Heathrow, and remember they change the approach and take off depending on runway status among other things.

It was scary thinking of anyone launching a drone at The Southall end of the airport and the drone drifting away into the flight path.

Those mothers were low and coming in and out so often it really made me sit and think about the whole flying near airports thing.

The only conclusion i can come too is you gotta be completely nuts to even think taking a drone up here would be a fun thing to do.

a few have with mods i believe, mainly older phantoms etc, there have been a few posted on you tube although how reliable these are i have no idea. it is perfectly possible to make that height with no altitude restriction in the software.

if you can fly it 4 miles then no reason it cant make 10 thousand except for being restricted.

Some older drones do not have that software restriction in place.

As always the higher or further you go the more chance of losing it.
Except for air density and motor effeciency at 10000ft. Im unconvinced and would need to see this to believe it

Except for air density and motor effeciency at 10000ft. Im unconvinced and would need to see this to believe it
The Mavic has a service ceiling of 15000 feet. :) so at 10 thousand it can easily handle both of those in good conditions.

Like i say, id like to see this :)
15000 temp will be 30/90° colder than ground level as well as much lower air density for props to attempt to support the weight. Im not totally denying that the mavic can do it, im just thinking of performance with my real aircraft at that altitude.

I think it will be too cold, and that motors will overspeed.
Maybe someone has tested this? Ill see if i can get this atmosphere in our wind tunnel for testing, but not sure if ill be able to. Certainly not the temp.

Last edited:
Yep found some phantoms on everest. Wonder if the mavic would be ok with engine overspeed warnings.
Impressive feat anyway.
Not the same as climbing to the height though :)

Last edited:
Here's another one: Guys who do this are just plain losers. No pun intended.

Police seize drone interfering with helicopter ambulance flight path

CLARE CLANCY
More from Clare Clancy

Published on: March 30, 2017 | Last Updated: March 30, 2017 4:52 PM MDT
11219876.jpg

Police were investigating after seizing a drone Wednesday after it flew near the flight path of a helicopter on its way to Red Deer hospital.

Police seized a drone Wednesday after it flew near the flight path of a helicopter on its way to Red Deer hospital.

RCMP said the STARS Air Ambulance was approaching the building around 9:30 a.m.

Officers seized the foldable Mavic Pro drone after finding its owner.

The drone was violating the Federal Aeronautics Act, which restricts the use of recreational and commercial drones in populated areas, police said.

Violating drone flight rules can result in fines of up to $3,000 for recreational use or $15,000 for commercial use.

I saw a great video regarding drone laws by Tony Northrup on YouTube he talks about how commercial jet pilots have no way of seeing at the speed they fly what hits then drone or bird!

Here's another one: Guys who do this are just plain losers. No pun intended.
Police seize drone interfering with helicopter ambulance flight path
CLARE CLANCY
More from Clare Clancy

Published on: March 30, 2017 | Last Updated: March 30, 2017 4:52 PM MDT
11219876.jpg

Police were investigating after seizing a drone Wednesday after it flew near the flight path of a helicopter on its way to Red Deer hospital.
Police seized a drone Wednesday after it flew near the flight path of a helicopter on its way to Red Deer hospital.
RCMP said the STARS Air Ambulance was approaching the building around 9:30 a.m.
Officers seized the foldable Mavic Pro drone after finding its owner.
The drone was violating the Federal Aeronautics Act, which restricts the use of recreational and commercial drones in populated areas, police said.
Violating drone flight rules can result in fines of up to $3,000 for recreational use or $15,000 for commercial use.

One can harass ambulances even if he doesn't have a drone: last week in Italy, two total ***** halted an ambulance on its way to the Hospital because it was moving off-hand in a one-way street. In fact, these dicqheads were yelling "Shame on you! Shame on you!" to the crew of the ambulance and then posted a picture of the blocked ambulance on a facebook page where they brawled about their "legality restoring" intervention. Now the Red Cross sued them, and I wish the patient in the ambulance does the same and some local authorities steps up to it: those guys must be beat hard, very hard, or we risk more ambulances blocked by more Don Quixote-style idjots

Reactions: Platypus
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78