DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MPro vs MAir - Occusync vs Wifi

WTFoxtrot

Reactions
So there has been a lot of SPECULATION out there on how the Air performs, especially when it comes to the WiFi. Let me help, as I was lucky enough to test-drive and buy an Air today. I also have had Mavic Pro, Spark, and own a Mavic Pro Platinum.
The Spark was total garbage as far as connection at my location. Could not stay connected, and using the iPhone as a controller was a joke. (Note, I speak only about my own location and situation. Others may love it and I respect that.)
Mavic Pro and Platinum both perform well, with the expected 4-5 mile range. However, I have had multiple instances of RTH being triggered because of signal interference on longer distances (all where RTH brought the bird close enough or high enough to overcome the problem--altitude can be your friend here!). Video distortion on the Pro was a constant problem -- Platinum has been much more stable.
I purchased and came home with my Air today, and the Wifi is nothing like the Spark. Completely stable and clear *so far*. Allowed me to fly behind a large metal roofed building (which craters my Platinum connection) and land with no problems at all. Range is great for a bird it's size and specs. If I switch from front to back of this same building with the Platinum, I literally have to run to the other side with the controller before the Platinum loses connection. With the Air today, I walked and it stayed connected the whole time.
My point here is simple. Don't pre-judge based on what others are saying. Don't believe me! Wait until you can actually try it out for yourself. We really are capable of being intelligent human beings, and NOT being sucked in by some crazy social media feeding frenzy. Be true to yourself!

My point here is simple. Don't pre-judge based on what others are saying. Don't believe me! Wait until you can actually try it out for yourself. We really are capable of being intelligent human beings, and NOT being sucked in by some crazy social media feeding frenzy. Be true to yourself!

Amen

Reactions: holenderski
While watching the video, i recognized following:

The test flight location was 'Somewhere in the middle of Texas'.
Mavic Air reached 'only' 2000m max. distance.

According to DJI:
2.4GHz
FCC: 4000 m, CE: 2000 m, SRRC: 2000 m (unobstructed, free of interference, when FCC compliant).
5.8GHz
FCC: 4000 m, CE: 500 m, SRRC: 2500 m (unobstructed, free of interference, when FCC compliant).

Weak signal warnings came up at ~ 1660m. Aircraft disconnected at ~2000m
How would the Mavic Air it ever make it to 4000m?
Texas should be FCC compliant...

I purchased and came home with my Air today, and the Wifi is nothing like the Spark. Completely stable and clear *so far*. Allowed me to fly behind a large metal roofed building (which craters my Platinum connection) and land with no problems at all. Range is great for a bird it's size and specs. If I switch from front to back of this same building with the Platinum, I literally have to run to the other side with the controller before the Platinum loses connection. With the Air today, I walked and it stayed connected the whole time.
I don't really believe you. ;)

Flying behind "large metal roofed building and landing there"... and not telling your range, only saying "Range is great for a bird it's size and specs".

Video, or it didn't happen. ;)

Reactions: mascot
I don't really believe you. ;)

Flying behind "large metal roofed building and landing there"... and not telling your range, only saying "Range is great for a bird it's size and specs".

Video, or it didn't happen. ;)

Haha, can try to do today. It was a long drive home from the event - over 3 hours away - so I had time for a quick check. Sun was low in the sky so exposures were at their worst with no filters and I didn’t take the time to fiddle w the EVO. (I do miss the second wheel already - have to adjust in the app).

Keep in mind Altitude also affects the range. He went out at 300' when he was losing signal at that distance, if he would have raised to 400' he would most likely have been able to go farther before losing his signal.

Here's another Mavic Air range test:

Reactions: Akimba
Not good?

They use basically the same technology. What were we realistically expecting?

They claim "up to" 4km. That's unobstructed, free of interference, fcc compliant. Basically in ideal circumstances. As pilots, we never fly in those circumstances. Hence why these real world tests are good to see.

Wifi in Mavic Air is better than on Spark, but not still not ideal. Occusync on Mavic Pro is far more reliable. I had my Mavic Air for 2 days now and completed 5 flights so far. On two occasions, when Air was 300-400m away, it complained about signal interference and commenced RTH. FYI, I live in relatively electronic-noise free area, on the coast of Sydney. I wasn't expecting connection to be as good as with Mavic Pro, 500-800m range (visual sight on clear day) was what I was expecting at least.

This is what we need re occusync vs wifi actual user experiences. Anyone else? I also especially want to hear about the Air's stability in the wind; initial reviews say it's surprisingly good.

The Wifi spectrum is really dirty, even when not so close to urban areas is not as solid as other proprietary technologies. Occusync is really reliable in Wifi dirty areas. The spark really struggles with Wifi interference

Stability in the wind is better than Mavic Pro. I flew Air in 35km/h wind yesterday (approx 10m/s). It hovered perfectly in the place like there was no wind at all. Mavic Pro Platinum minutes later was holding to the spot, but you could easily see how hard motors were working to compensate.
One thing of difference again, Mavic Pro was quiet, Mavic Air was noisy with unpleasant how pitch noise

Reactions: Zzzoom3
Wow, interesting to hear you've found it BETTER in the wind. That's important to me. But on the other hand the quieter the better..

The Wifi spectrum is really dirty, even when not so close to urban areas is not as solid as other proprietary technologies. Occusync is really reliable in Wifi dirty areas. The spark really struggles with Wifi interference
Don't the Pro and Air use the same spectrum? They use different transmission systems, ocusync vs wifi, but they use the same frequencies. 2.4 and 5.0 GHz

I've just done a quick flight in the UK countryside, no obstructions between me and the Air and had clear line of site to the controller at all times, it was losing video at only 1000ft - its very disorientating, my very early advice is to not keep flying at full pelt as you lose your bearing very fast

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eastoncrafter