DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first "crash"

Clintsc9

Reactions
So not really a crash as it just landed in a paddock when the battery ran low.

However, it did have a problem and I'm looking for an explanation.
I'm using all the latest up-to-date apps and firmware on a week-old Mavic with a brand new iPad Mini 4 on the controller.
Flying in open country and had been on the same battery for 15 minutes or so. I took it for one more circuit and lifted it to maximum height for a good look around. Flying at 118 metres I got the "Maximum altitude reached" message. Fair enough, I let go the left stick.
I flew forward a bit and then suddenly a beeping alarm and warning that it had avoided an obstacle and I should reset my flight. It was a clear sky and I could see the Mavic and there were definitely no obstructions 118 metres in the air.
The Mavic stopped and hovered and would not respond to any stick inputs. I could control the up/down of the gimbal so connection was not entirely lost.
I initiated RTH and the controller voiced it was returning to home, but it didn't move, and the avoidance alarm still sounded. The curved lines on the screen were all red.
Naturally, I was in panic mode. I turned the controller off/on and turned the app off/on but the Mavic just sat there, 118 metres up and 485 metres away from me.
After a couple of minutes, the battery got low and auto RTH initiated, but no movement. Eventually, the Mavic initiated landing and gently came down. It complained the landing area unacceptable, but would still not respond to any stick commands and just landed in the long grass.
Finding it was relatively easy as it still had some battery power and its position was showing on the map. I walked to it and it had the fans running and grass entangled in the props but otherwise OK.
FromMavicAtGuluguba.jpg

The red circle is me and the blue is where it landed. Photo is a still from the video leading up to the incident.

I was late for an appointment, so I hurriedly put it away and left the area.
Later that day I got a chance to go flying again and it worked fine except for one small hiccup, again imagining it had avoided something in clear air when at high altitude - not max but up there - but this time it just stopped and then responded to stick commands as per normal.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be the problem? Any ideas of what I could have done to get it back under control. I thought later, after I had calmed down, I could maybe have gone into the menus and switched off the avoidance mode, but I was in panic and not thinking straight. Could this have worked?
It makes me wary of flying the Mavic over water even though I've seen lots of video of over-water flying.

Welcoming any advice.

Hey,
There's a lot of people who can give you more detailed information but were you flying towards the sun? A lot of people have had this issue were it mistakes the sun for an obstacle.

If you had initiated Sport mode, you would be able to override the obstacle error, as this is disabled during Sport mode - but obviously you need to be certain that there is definitely not an obstacle before doing this!

Indeed sounds like the sun was detected as an obstacle. "...The curved lines on the screen were all red."
It can be seen in your photos by the long shadows that turning towards home would have pointed you towards the sun. As mentioned, if it happens again - Toggle the P/S switch on the side of the RC to Sport. This will disable obstacle avoidance and you will be able to regain control. If you wish to fly home in regular P mode again, you can also simply face the Mavic away from the sun and fly home backwards or sideways. When I get this warning, flying well above any obstacles, I yaw to rotate and the warning stops. Good job getting it all back in one piece.

Never thought of the Sun. Reviewing the video, I was definitely turning towards the sun.
Who'd a thought?
Sports mode was another thought I had much later in the day, but at the time I had no idea what to do.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep the sun thing in mind and remember that Sports Mode option.
We learn thanks to the collective.

Yeah mines done that a couple of times before although I have never had no stick input.
I put it down to the sun with mine and I would with yours ....

Mate if mine had a similar issue on Software V.50. He downgraded never happened again

I've had it happen to me numerous times because of the sun. And it looks from all of the analysis above that's exactly what happened.

If you have enough battery left you can always tack back like a sailboat flying st 45 degrees to the sun.

I wish DJI would fix this issue.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Never thought of the Sun. Reviewing the video, I was definitely turning towards the sun.
Who'd a thought?
Sports mode was another thought I had much later in the day, but at the time I had no idea what to do.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep the sun thing in mind and remember that Sports Mode option.
We learn thanks to the collective.
You can turn off OA in RTH mode in the App. So next time if you RTH, it will automatically turn off OA.

Good to know Strafe1, but I like the idea of OA for RTH for normal usage. I'm a newbie flyer so need all the help the Mavic affords. Just this time it was a little too helpful. One of the problems with AI.

Good to know Strafe1, but I like the idea of OA for RTH for normal usage. I'm a newbie flyer so need all the help the Mavic affords. Just this time it was a little too helpful. One of the problems with AI.
I thought this at first. Until I was testing RTH and it wouldn't come back due to the sun. You never know where you'll be in relation to the sun if the Mav engages in RTH. I think the better thing to do is be sure your RTH altitude is the highest thing in your flight radius, so OA is not needed anyway. You can keep regular OA on for flying while in control. Just so there is no confusion, you are aware that there is a separate OA setting only for RTH?

Yep, found it in Advanced Settings. Worth a try. In any case I'm now prepared for when it happens again.
Reviewing the recorded audio and vision at the controller, I definitely said WTF at least once. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Va1entin