DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Fly Away Yesterday...

Some of us pushing our luck with drones, there places,and I'm not talking about NO FLYING ZONES ,we R not suppose to fly and expose our drone ,I got my Mavic for almost 3 months flying everyday ( almost ) and I got NOT a single issue with .

Giving up is the only sure way to fail !!

I'm still waiting for an uncontrollable flight by a pilot that supposedly did all of the possible updates and calibrations Out in an Open Field where none of the interference variables are present. If there are such events it sure would be nice to see and read about, so far it's a large percentage of pilot error.

Reactions: Cookedinlh
I agree it was most likely inducted magnetic interference from passing so close under those lines, not sure what KV rating they are but a residential service 10KV line can put out a high energy field for some distance around it, depends on power factor and humidity. Passing thru that field will produce a induced magnetic field in wires and motor winding's. Here in the US the power company's place discharge units with strobes on some hi-tension lines to dissipate the charge, this is to keep the lines from crackling and popping in high humidity. (I have some on lines next to my home, see photo) Flying thru one of these fields will definitely mess with any electronics, and you will notice the bird went wacky almost at once after passing close under the line.

Attachments

• DSCF4340 copy.jpg
    DSCF4340 copy.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 62
And just to be clear in your title, this was not a fly away, it was a period of un-controlled flight, you were able to land under control with no damage.

As a side note, I just got my MP the other day, haven't flown it. But powered it up inside my print shop (a crapload of electrical noise to say the least) and the controller showed a very clear warning "Magnetic Interference" or something to that affect. Not sure if this message will appear in-flight if somebody gets too close to high KV's, but it was nice to know. Maybe this message onscreen is from a firmware update? Since this thread is a few weeks old? Dunno, but I have faith in DJI to continue to improve their flying machines, it really is in their best interest and I'm certain their engineers are quite aware of the weak points. I'm not an engineer nor a salesman, but I know that products get rushed to market (sales guys gotta beat the competition and get paid)) despite the warnings from their engineers that it may not be as complete as they would like. And so here we are doing some real world testing, and DJI is watching and reading just like us. A bumper sticker idea: "Be Patient, or Become One"

First post on here so wanted to share similar incident/accident....
I'm still in the first month of having my MP and took it over to my father's place to fly it (out in the country, flying over fields). During first 15 minutes had no issues, landed it and powered it down without problems. Powered back up (in correct order), hovered 3 ft above ground, however this time when it was below a powerline, magnetic field interference popped up, bird rose by itself right into the power line. I tried to land it without success. Broke 3 out of the 4 props however fortunate that every thing still worked after that. The one thing I didn't try was hitting "Pause". Has anyone tried hitting pause during this situation and of so what happened?
Thanks!

Reactions: wolfmad
Has anyone tried hitting pause during this situation and of so what happened?
That's not going to help in a situation like this. And, it would only be useful if you're using one of the automated flight modes where the pause button can be used.

Reactions: slotcop1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom