DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Was Shot Out of the Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
So someone shoots down your drone, then picks it up and walks it over too you, and that's it?

You guys just had an amicable conversation at that point and parted ways?

That doesn't make much sense. I'd imagine there'd have been some tense words from at least one party...

Coupled with no video of incident? Hmm.....
We exchanged about 10 words. I'm pretty indifferent as to whether you believe me or not. Feel free to be skeptical. To you, I'm just a random guy on the internet. Once I know it's not damaging to me or my case I will post it, as I've said.

I'm actually surprised mavic wouldn't fly home with those props.

I bet that if they had been damaged more symmetrically it would have made it home. Having so much peop removed in only one side probably made it like a paint shaker.

There is a torrure test video where they snipped off about that much from the ends of a prop and mavic still flew.
I imagine you're right. At one point it did stabilize and I was trying to bring it back but I'm fairly certain he shot it a second, maybe third, time and that's what caused the death spiral. Unfortunately it's impossible to know how many times he actually landed a shot.

We exchanged about 10 words. I'm pretty indifferent as to whether you believe me or not. Feel free to be skeptical. To you, I'm just a random guy on the internet. Once I know it's not damaging to me or my case I will post it, as I've said.

I hope you didn't consider my post offensive. It just seems like a strange occurrence of events to be alarmed at the outcome.

I was filming a 5 acre lot for a friend last weekend and of course as I'm sure you know in order to do so requires being over other's property.

I explained to the neighbors on each side what I was up to, and what my intentions were, even though I had no obligation too. Both were thankful for my explanation and one asked for contact information and expressed an interest in hiring me for a piece of property she was selling nearby, turns out she's a realtor.

The other stated she'd have been "pretty alarmed" too see that thing so low nearby without knowing who, or why it was happening.

Point being, people are still cautious of these things, and it's important to be respectful. Flying over someone's property (and admitting to filming their property on a public forum) at 100' while going 2-5 MPH in Tripod mode doesn't convey "don't mind me, I'm just passing over flying my drone and have no intention of disturbing you" attitude.

I can take fantastically detailed pictures of a property at 300-400ft. In my opinion 100' that slow is invasive. You may not agree, but consider how you'd feel if someone did that to your property as someone who knows the capabilities drones in general.

Considering you're dealing with someone who's probably had issues with local government due to the building expansions, garbage, people living in barns, etc on their property. It really isn't shocking they didn't want someone photographing that.

He said he was going to post it. Defense is going to see the video anyway.

Yes, they will. But withholding said evidence until after all depositions and witness testimony is taken is ideal - as the defendant doesn't know what is on the video. If he knows in advance what is on the video, he can tailor his statements accordingly. Whereas, if he doesn't know if there's a video, or what is on it, he's much more likely to provide deceptive and incriminating accounts of what happened.

Can I replace it with an Inspire 2? :)

Also, I don't know how much money this guy has, which could be a problem.

Doesn't matter if he has no money or even a job. If you get a judgement, you can file a writ of "Fi Fay" (not sure spelling is correct, it's a term for the Latin title of the writ) and the sheriff can seize any property (cash on hand, vehicle, etc) to settle the judgement.

Hope this helps.

Doesn't matter if he has no money or even a job. If you get a judgement, you can file a writ of "Fi Fay" (not sure spelling is correct, it's a term for the Latin title of the writ) and the sheriff can seize any property (cash on hand, vehicle, etc) to settle the judgement.

Hope this helps.

He will spend far more than the cost of the Mavic to get to that point.

The FAA has jurisdiction over all airspace above the US. No homeowner has any right at all to airspace above their house. If you have proof of who shot it down, then off to court you go. But, also remember you are not allowed to fly over people, so if you were over him, or anyone, well that infraction is on you.

I've called the FAA but was referred to the wrong office. The inspector I spoke with did seem to be in favor that the issue should be pursued. I just need to wait until Tuesday to call the correct office.

As for what I've said here already, I'm not concerned as I know I've not broken the law. I'm not trying to lie or get back at this guy specifically. Is it annoying he could have damaged my Mavic? Absolutely. What's worse though is the thought that anyone can shoot down mine, or any other person's, drone and there be no repercussions. It came down in a best case scenario. It could have hit another person or their property and caused damage.

I'd like to see some progress towards the protections of OUR rights as drone owners and pilots.

I've called the FAA but was referred to the wrong office. The inspector I spoke with did seem to be in favor that the issue should be pursued. I just need to wait until Tuesday to call the correct office.

As for what I've said here already, I'm not concerned as I know I've not broken the law. I'm not trying to lie or get back at this guy specifically. Is it annoying he could have damaged my Mavic? Absolutely. What's worse though is the thought that anyone can shoot down mine, or any other person's, drone and there be no repercussions. It came down in a best case scenario. It could have hit another person or their property and caused damage.

I'd like to see some progress towards the protections of OUR rights as drone owners and pilots.

If you're having trouble connecting with the appropriate office at the FAA, get in touch with your Member of Congress. They'll help you out as they have direct communication with all federal agencies. I used to work for Congress :)

Good luck and hope your case gets resolved favorably!

Reactions: bleedgr33n
Look forward to your video. Don't be in haste to post it until your lawyer or the prosecutor says okay.

For clarity (mine)
The barn or house burned down on Thur. at 0300 and you were filming that on Thur. afternoon just before you posted this?

I just looked at this place using street view and it is indeed an eyesore and likely a firetrap to anyone inside...

Reactions: bleedgr33n
Look forward to your video. Don't be in haste to post it until your lawyer or the prosecutor says okay.

For clarity (mine)
The barn or house burned down on Thur. at 0300 and you were filming that on Thur. afternoon just before you posted this?

I just looked at this place using street view and it is indeed an eyesore and likely a firetrap to anyone inside...

It was a shop/barn that burned down in the early hours of the day; I believe it was leveled by 07:00. Around 14:15 I was filming what was left.

I would send your Mavic to thunderdrones to have it "professionally" evaluated....[emoji6]

I would send your Mavic to thunderdrones to have it "professionally" evaluated....[emoji6]

I have no idea what that is. And also, then I would be drone-less. I'm not sure I can handle the withdrawal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan