DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Was Shot Out of the Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total flight time from the time I started the props until he removed the battery was less than 6 minutes. I was filming his property, and I did flyover his property, but neither are against the law. I was not over his property when he fired the shots, no. However it did fall in that direction, unfortunately. Honestly, I was shocked he walked it out to me immediately after he shot it down.
I'm shocked that a confrontation didn't erupt when he walked out with it but then I get in more trouble that way . Good on you for keeping your cool.

I'm shocked that a confrontation didn't erupt when he walked out with it but then I get in more trouble that way . Good on you for keeping your cool.

Honestly, I was shocked he just walked it out to me.

With the evidence (video and log) showing him shooting it down. Double helpful that guy!:D

Yes, the skeet club is about a minute away.

Also yeah, I figured he pulled the card but no, it was still there. Completely stunned haha

Reactions: wp7718
I have no idea what that is. And also, then I would be drone-less. I'm not sure I can handle the withdrawal.

Thunderdrones is a guy on here that repairs drones that for most part, don't have Refresh......

As far as withdrawals, I get that! This is the only reason I have two!

Good luck!

Thunderdrones Repair Information

Thunderdrones Repair Process and Prices

If you need service to your DJI Mavic, I can help. I have bought, sold and repaired hundreds of Phantoms and Mavics and have every available spare OEM DJI replacement part for the Mavic both new and used.

I charge $49 to give you an estimate of the damage. It will take 2-3 business days after I have received your Mavic to generate the estimate, and I will email you when the estimate is complete. The estimate is just that, I will determine what the error messages are and what physical damage is apparent, but if I find any additional things that need to be repaired after the estimate, I will let you know before I finish the repair and wont proceed until I get your approval.

My repair rate is $49 per hour or fraction thereof, and if you decide to repair it, the $49 estimate fee is applied to the repair. Before I send your Mavic back to you, I normally calibrate the IMU and controller and take it for a test flight of at least 3-5 minutes.

Turnaround time for the repair is 3-5 business days after you have accepted the estimate. After your repair is complete, I will contact you and let you know it’s done and send you a Paypal invoice. I accept Paypal only as payment, and my Paypal address is [email protected]. I use USPS Insured Priority Mail as return shipping and I will bill you the cost of shipping along with the repair cost after it’s done.

If you decide to send me your Mavic for repair, Please include the following:

Mavic

Battery

Controller

SD card

Gimbal lock

Gimbal protective bubble

Please include a note inside the shipping box of what problems you are having and what you would like fixed along with your name, mailing address, Mavicpilots ID, and Paypal account email address. You can also download, fillout and print the attached PDF file at the bottom of this post.

I don’t need any cables or charger. Please give me a tracking number after you have sent it in.

Please send your Mavic to me at:

Rob Schwartz

Thunderdrones

2615 Landington Way

Duluth, Georgia 30096

Tel (678) 763-4427

Thank you for your business.

Rob
Thunderdrones

Reactions: VortexSpin
Thunderdrones is a guy on here that repairs drones that for most part, don't have Refresh......

As far as withdrawals, I get that! This is the only reason I have two!

Good luck!

Thunderdrones Repair Process and Prices

If you need service to your DJI Mavic, I can help. I have bought, sold and repaired hundreds of Phantoms and Mavics and have every available spare OEM DJI replacement part for the Mavic both new and used.

I charge $49 to give you an estimate of the damage. It will take 2-3 business days after I have received your Mavic to generate the estimate, and I will email you when the estimate is complete. The estimate is just that, I will determine what the error messages are and what physical damage is apparent, but if I find any additional things that need to be repaired after the estimate, I will let you know before I finish the repair and wont proceed until I get your approval.

My repair rate is $49 per hour or fraction thereof, and if you decide to repair it, the $49 estimate fee is applied to the repair. Before I send your Mavic back to you, I normally calibrate the IMU and controller and take it for a test flight of at least 3-5 minutes.

Turnaround time for the repair is 3-5 business days after you have accepted the estimate. After your repair is complete, I will contact you and let you know it’s done and send you a Paypal invoice. I accept Paypal only as payment, and my Paypal address is [email protected]. I use USPS Insured Priority Mail as return shipping and I will bill you the cost of shipping along with the repair cost after it’s done.

If you decide to send me your Mavic for repair, Please include the following:

Mavic

Battery

Controller

SD card

Gimbal lock

Gimbal protective bubble

Please include a note inside the shipping box of what problems you are having and what you would like fixed along with your name, mailing address, Mavicpilots ID, and Paypal account email address. You can also download, fillout and print the attached PDF file at the bottom of this post.

I don’t need any cables or charger. Please give me a tracking number after you have sent it in.

Please send your Mavic to me at:

Rob Schwartz

Thunderdrones

2615 Landington Way

Duluth, Georgia 30096

Tel (678) 763-4427

Thank you for your business.

Rob
Thunderdrones

Thanks for this.

I've called the FAA but was referred to the wrong office. The inspector I spoke with did seem to be in favor that the issue should be pursued. I just need to wait until Tuesday to call the correct office.

As for what I've said here already, I'm not concerned as I know I've not broken the law. I'm not trying to lie or get back at this guy specifically. Is it annoying he could have damaged my Mavic? Absolutely. What's worse though is the thought that anyone can shoot down mine, or any other person's, drone and there be no repercussions. It came down in a best case scenario. It could have hit another person or their property and caused damage.

I'd like to see some progress towards the protections of OUR rights as drone owners and pilots.

If you were so concerned about the potential danger to other people and their property you wouldn't be flying over them in the first place! Don't act all angelic now that your toy was shot down for harassing somebody after their house burned down. If anything, you're only damaging our rights and image as drone pilots with your wanton disregard for other people's privacy. Just because something isn't explicitly illegal now doesn't mean you should keep acting in a way that will make it illegal in the future. Do you have no sense of common decency?

Reactions: kbl and RAZR
If you were so concerned about the potential danger to other people and their property you wouldn't be flying over them in the first place! Don't act all angelic now that your toy was shot down for harassing somebody after their house burned down. If anything, you're only damaging our rights and image as drone pilots with your wanton disregard for other people's privacy. Just because something isn't explicitly illegal now doesn't mean you should keep acting in a way that will make it illegal in the future. Do you have no sense of common decency?

Hmmm. First post? Registered today? Stirring the pot? Me thinks this joker is your neighbor.

Oops, not a good start methinks.:eek:

Hmmm. First post? Registered today? Stirring the pot? Me thinks this joker is your neighbor.
I certainly wouldn't be admitting to shooting down someones drone if I was the neighbor. I just find this incident to be so outraging on all sides.

Reactions: RAZR
First of all, it wasn't a house. Second, this property is known countywide as a nuisance. Third, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy as there is no fence around the property; everything I saw from above I could see from the street. It's not as if I was peeping through windows, I was over 100 feet in the air. I wanted a bird's eye view becasue I have the tools to get it. Lastly, the only people that have the right to take an aircraft out of the sky, regardless of size, is law enforcement.

And to address where I was flying, I was above grass, a field, not people. When it was shot and I lost control is when it had potential to hit someone or something.

Also, I have no idea why you made your text bold.

I certainly wouldn't be admitting to shooting down someones drone if I was the neighbor. I just find this incident to be so outraging on all sides.
Regardless of whether or not it was you, and whether or not the shooter admits what he did, I have the video. Law enforcement has a copy. Soooooo, it makes no difference.

Reactions: RC5728
And guys lets not let this get argumentative .
bleed you don't have to defend yourself and
@Stewartfresh Welcome to the forum but unless
you have something constructive to post please
don't stir nothing up .
Thanks

First of all, it wasn't a house. Second, this property is known countywide as a nuisance. Third, there is no reasonable expectation of privacy as there is no fence around the property; everything I saw from above I could see from the street. It's not as if I was peeping through windows, I was over 100 feet in the air. I wanted a bird's eye view becasue I have the tools to get it. Lastly, the only people that have the right to take an aircraft out of the sky, regardless of size, is law enforcement.

And to address where I was flying, I was above grass, a field, not people. When it was shot and I lost control is when it had potential to hit someone or something.

Also, I have no idea why you made your text bold.

My point is, the logs you have posted online show that you were loitering over the property, under 83 feet AGL for at least half the time and the only case law on the books about this isn't in your favor (FindLaw's United States Supreme Court case and opinions.). You should seriously consider just cutting your losses as I don't think you're going to find the outcome of any FAA investigation to be desirable to you or the drone community at large. Not defending the homeowner as they were clearly in the wrong and should be punished but they aren't the only guilty party here. Also, for your security I suggest removing your google drive link as it contains your full name.

Reactions: RAZR
Try this link. Same file, but on Google Drive. Also, how can I decipher it? I would like to see whatever it is you guys see. 2017-05-25_14-06-14_FLY109.DAT

Sorry to be late to the party but I have been real busy the last few days. I tried the link but it says I need permission to access the file.

Rob

... under 83 feet AGL for at least half the time and the only case law on the books about this isn't in your favor (FindLaw's United States Supreme Court case and opinions.).

Again here is this 83ft reference. My understanding of this case is that they did not consider the space under 83ft (25 meters) because the planes did not have clearance to fly any lower. Not because there is some law saying that you own airspace up to that level.

I agree that loitering over property may not be a neighborly thing to do, but in this case I see nothing to be alarmed about since an event that required emergency response had just occurred there. His property was willfully damaged while operating his drone within the law. He has a case, and should pursue it, IMO.

Reactions: bleedgr33n
in crisis situations : forest fire/brush fire, home fire, earthquake damage, car accidents, floods, etc., it is wise to not fly your drone over those situations. unless the property owner or the local government or law enforcement wants drone video of the damage or to assess the damage, but this sounds like you were poking the bull and got the horns.
83 feet is low. tripod is slow.
next time you want juicy footage do it up higher.
and before you want to dig into my low post count, I rarely come on here and this story is at the top of the page.
it's a bummer about your drone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998