DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Near miss of bridge

Flying under a bridge is so dramatic and tempting. The reality though is that it's very dangerous. Back when I was in college (50 years ago) I flew under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in a small plane. -Great thrill, but when I landed I discovered a multitude of fishing line draping from both wings. I had no idea and couldn't see it at the time, and even if I could, wouldn't have been able to avoid.

-A stupid decision performed by an immature kid. God protects the young, but at the same time provides a lesson to be learned. I've not flown an airplane or drone under a bridge since.

Last edited:
Flying under a bridge is so dramatic and tempting. The reality though is that it's very dangerous. Back when I was in college (50 years ago) I flew under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in a small plane. -Great thrill, but when I landed I discovered a multitude of fishing line draping from both wings. I had no ideal and couldn't see it at the time, and even if I could, wouldn't have been able to avoid.

-A stupid decision performed by an immature kid. God protects the young, but at the same time provides a lesson to be learned. I've not flown an airplane or drone under a bridge since.
Ahh yes the survival instinct. Something that is missing from the drone pilots experience even though they may be putting others at risk.

I cringe whenever anyone says near miss as a near miss is a collision not a miss

One trick that I use to determine if I have enough clearance above and an object is to fly at an altitude where I can clearly see the horizon above the object. Looking at your video, you can see that the top arch of the bridge is obstructing the horizon until you made your last second maneuver to clear it.

Another way is to use the grid on camera view.
With gimbal straight out in front, the centre rectangle is clear.

I believe that is a method many flyers use to go into / through tight places.
Good to practice nice and close to get used to it I would say.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet