DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware is out (12-6) v1.03.0000

Firmware updates are optional. Just keep ignoring the prompts to update in DJI GO.

Ok thanks , I don't want to do something stupid and put my mavic at risk by not updating firmware and apps. But mine is acting so good on the old dji go app and current firmware that I'm reluctant to change anything

I don't want to do something stupid and put my mavic at risk by not updating firmware and apps
That's why I always update my firmware after it's known to be stable. DJI is constantly working to fix bugs and they don't always reveal what was fixed in the release notes.

Reactions: Mr Spock
That's why I always update my firmware after it's known to be stable. DJI is constantly working to fix bugs and they don't always reveal what was fixed in the release notes.
Great to know, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and wait to see how everyone likes the new apps and updates.

Did the firmware upgrade, went for a flight, no calibrations done.

Flew perfect in 15-20 mph winds, Got a high wind warning when I went up to 250 feet and
said to be cautious, still held its own just fine.

Love this little Mavic.

Reactions: Nathan Hoover
I am not claiming to be the king of drones and I am still learning new things everyday. But with that said there is a ton of bad info on this forum. Most people here are buying their first drone and are nervous enough. I can just see the person getting ready for their first flight. Preflight check list takes 30 mins and the battery is dead. Read the manual and spend time adjusting all settings in the go app. Take it slow and under control your first flights. These drones are incredibly smart computers and will let you know when their sensors find a problem. The only things that are mandatory are the prompts on the screen that will not let you fly until they are corrected. Now all you newbies get out there and have fun with your new toy.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: Micky C Webb
Why is everyone so eager to do calibrations. I have hundreds of hours flying drones and I have never done any calibration unless I was prompted to or flight was erratic. Check sensors regularly and stay in tune with how the drone is performing. If it was so important to calibrate after updates dji would make it mandatory after the update. They don't so get out and fly and correct any prompts before takeoff.

I agree. No calibrations are actually required post update, unless the system prompts you. Mine came up post update with everything including the compass looking as good as gold. Restarted with each of my three batteries aboard to update them and all good to go. No Calibrations. I am off to fly now.

My thinking is DJI does not release an update without reason, something is fixed, improved, or added. I have been thru P2/3 pre-orders and now Mavic, and I have always updated almost as soon as they were released, never had a problem at all (knock on wood) and I will continue until it becomes an issue.

I have sort of a different policy. I always update as soon as it's released and before I fly.

My thought is this. Let's say you don't update and have an incident (crash, flyaway, etc) and call for warranty support. My fear is that they'll say "oh you weren't running the latest firmware, you must have ignored the prompt to update. The update addressed that issue and you intentionally ignored it. Sorry we can't help you."

Reactions: Romi
I have sort of a different policy. I always update as soon as it's released and before I fly.

My thought is this. Let's say you don't update and have an incident (crash, flyaway, etc) and call for warranty support. My fear is that they'll say "oh you weren't running the latest firmware, you must have ignored the prompt to update. The update addressed that issue and you intentionally ignored it. Sorry we can't help you."
Never heard anyone complain about this if the firmware was even close to being up to date. However, many, many complaints about bad firmware and app updates.

My fear is that they'll say "oh you weren't running the latest firmware, you must have ignored the prompt to update. The update addressed that issue and you intentionally ignored it. Sorry we can't help you."
I've never heard of DJI doing that. If they wanted everyone to run the latest firmware, they could easily cripple their aircraft once they've been connected to the Internet.

I will be updating mine when im back home in a few days ....

Hopefully if there are any issues we will know about them by Friday :)

Only 1m indoor? for a lousy pilot like me this is not a improvement ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Why is everyone so eager to do calibrations. I have hundreds of hours flying drones and I have never done any calibration unless I was prompted to or flight was erratic. Check sensors regularly and stay in tune with how the drone is performing. If it was so important to calibrate after updates dji would make it mandatory after the update. They don't so get out and fly and correct any prompts before takeoff.

Why wouldn't you? One of the first questions I've seen from most DJI admins on crashes is whether calibrations were done to the IMU and Compass. I don't believe in the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I would rather lessen the odds with a properly performed calibration than find I had an issue after a new firmware update that didn't show up on a status report. For the record I calibrate everything!

Reactions: Mako79 and msinger
Why wouldn't you? One of the first questions I've seen from most DJI admins on crashes is whether calibrations were done to the IMU and Compass. I don't believe in the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I would rather lessen the odds with a properly performed calibration than find I had an issue after a new firmware update that didn't show up on a status report. For the record I calibrate everything!

Hi Rick,

This not a criticism of you or your post......

But can i just say from the point of view of a new drone pilot ( im not new to RC just quad drones )this seems to be a very good example of what new drone pilots are trying to deal with at the moment as for every don't Calibrate there is a Calibrate message and then we have DJI saying only calibrate when prompted. at the moment i am only going to calibrate when prompted and im going to do a quick check of the drone readouts to confirm no compass errors etc..

This feels like a betamax vs vhs debate is it ? or are there solid reasons for completing the calibrations after updates etc without being prompted as i have also ready you are just as likly to introduce a bad calibration and therfore creating potential flight issues with your drone.

Im really look for solid new pilot advice here nothing more and said above this is not directed at you in any way.

Anthony

Reactions: Vicrimo and Rick
You can check if IMU and compass are in the green in the app.
There's probably more risk a few will mess it up calibrating for the sake of it.
I'd just fly cautiously first time, if something is wrong it will soon become apparent.
Here maps seem to be back on google so I hope they scroll again too.

I don't see much point delaying these early updates as they are surely intending to resolve issues which have been discovered from crash data. Once everything seems stable you can be more choosy.
We have all seen a few worrying un-commanded circling incidents have still been happening,

Reactions: Mr Spock
Its best to wait a week and see what the early adopters report.

Generally with DJI firmware - do the first 2-3. All the bugs should be ironed out by then. Any thing after are usually restrictions placed because of some idiot making unlawful decisions.
Make sure you note all the Go App settings as they get wiped after firmware update.
Make sure you recalibrate IMU and Compass and RC after update. Basically, reprime the device as if it was new.
And remember, you only need to do 1 good calibration of the IMU, Compass, and RC, unless specified by the app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga