DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware is out (12-6) v1.03.0000

The people who are crazy about calibration have no idea what they are talking about... wear clothes and calibrate wherever, if it's no good it'll tell you. I calibrate all my quads INSIDE my apartment where there's tv, sonos, my belt buckle my watch, wifi all over the place, multiple phones and windows. Never a problem.

Are you referring to this DJI employee or a different one?

Well yes and no as in the linked post on this forum the advieis to complete a full calibration however on the DJI site i have seen advice that says donot do this .... im not sure if it was dji ken or one of the other dji support guys who respond on the forum so i would need to search through the thounds of post on there to find it sorry.

I don't doubt that DJI as a whole provides conflicting information. I see it myself. You need to decide who you're going to take advice from. It's your aircraft, so you can do with it as you please.

1) Performed update
2) Performed pre-check (check Mavic, props, controller for errors, app for errors, etc.)
3) Launched and hovered approx. 8-10 feet above ground for a minute or two
4) Rotated Mavic 360 degrees clockwise/counter clockwise a few times
5) Flew Mavic forward and backwards a few times
6) Flew Mavic up and down a few times
7) After all was well and very very stable, even with all sensors off, I flew to my typical spots around my wifi congested neighborhood with NO issues at all.

FYI...I performed no IMU and compass calibrations at all.

I don't doubt that DJI as a whole provides conflicting information. I see it myself. You need to decide who you're going to take advice from. It's your aircraft, so you can do with it as you please.

I totally agree and for this very reason i have decided to only use one forum to start with ..... this one and i am just trying to work my way through ALL the advice and filter out the bits that seem to conflict.

Well yes and no as in the linked post on this forum the advieis to complete a full calibration however on the DJI site i have seen advice that says donot do this .... im not sure if it was dji ken or one of the other dji support guys who respond on the forum so i would need to search through the thounds of post on there to find it sorry.

if you are uncertain, then research more. Sometimes 3 doctors opinions are better than 1000 opinions from facebook.

Also, some users on this forum may not have the DJI prefix, but certainly know more then the ones that do on the DJI forum. You need to remember, the DJI guys are keyboard-warriorring all day on P2's, P3's, P4's, Mavics, Inspires etc whereas users here are actually flying them. Go ask a DJI prefixed user to show you their weekend vid...

Hi Rick,

This not a criticism of you or your post......

But can i just say from the point of view of a new drone pilot ( im not new to RC just quad drones )this seems to be a very good example of what new drone pilots are trying to deal with at the moment as for every don't Calibrate there is a Calibrate message and then we have DJI saying only calibrate when prompted. at the moment i am only going to calibrate when prompted and im going to do a quick check of the drone readouts to confirm no compass errors etc..

This feels like a betamax vs vhs debate is it ? or are there solid reasons for completing the calibrations after updates etc without being prompted as i have also ready you are just as likly to introduce a bad calibration and therfore creating potential flight issues with your drone.

Im really look for solid new pilot advice here nothing more and said above this is not directed at you in any way.

Anthony

Hi Anthony
Are you in the diplomatic corps!
Thanks for your reply and I understand exactly how you feel as a new pilot to drones as I am one myself. My reasoning to calibrate everything is based on what I have read and seen here and elsewhere on the internet. If owners are reporting problems that have led to a crash that may have been attributed to an incorrect sensor calibration, then I want to lessen the chances of that happening to me. I am willing to take the "risk" of calibration, but not without adhering to the advice of the best conditions of doing so, unlike J3ffrey. A level surface and away from metal objects, smartphone, smartwatch or other blue tooth devices etc. Flying a drone is the responsibility of the pilot, and as such I want to do anything I can to satisfy that requirement and not rely on a third party to blame if for example the sensor report was not 100% reliable following a new firmware update. If my drone were to crash I wouldn't want to be left thinking that it may have been caused by a calibration issue that I hadn't conducted myself. To say there is more risk of introducing a faulty calibration by conducting a calibration rather than not doing one is nonsensical to me. If you research what to do and follow the guidelines from trusted, respected and knowledgeable experienced pilots there is nothing to fear.

Reactions: Anthony
Survey says wack wack oops !!!

1) Performed update
2) Performed pre-check (check Mavic, props, controller for errors, app for errors, etc.)
7) After all was well and very very stable, even with all sensors off, I flew to my typical spots around my wifi congested neighborhood with NO issues at all.

Ditto, I did the update, didn't calibrate, spent about 20 minutes in the air puttering about. No issues either.

Why is everyone so eager to do calibrations. I have hundreds of hours flying drones and I have never done any calibration unless I was prompted to or flight was erratic. Check sensors regularly and stay in tune with how the drone is performing. If it was so important to calibrate after updates dji would make it mandatory after the update. They don't so get out and fly and correct any prompts before takeoff.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
This x2, old apm only ever did calibration after firmware and never touched the compass or rc any other time (thanks auto declination function :) )

1) Performed update

Did exactly the same except I only hovered 2-3' off the ground. Will do some real testing tomorrow. Looks good so far though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga