DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware . . . v01.03.0800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck in translating that into a class action...

Let me expand on that a bit.

There has never been a reasonable expectation that you could own and use a Mavic without access to a smart device.

It was required to activate the aircraft before the first flight and it was required to lift the 'beginner' limits and to configure the many options on the aircraft.

Prior to the current firmware you could choose to fly with just the remote.

With the current firmware you can still fly with just the remote, but only after connecting a smart device upon power-up and then removing the smart device.

If you do not wish to accept this restriction then do not update the firmware.

This is not like the Sony case where there was a claim that failure to update the firmware could restrict use with future games.

In this case you can retain full and unfettered use of exactly what you have now by not updating.

The fact that new features may be offered which require you to update, does not stop you using the aircraft in the way it was originally offered and sold.

This is not the same as Sony and would be a lot harder to show that the owners have in any way not received what they paid for.

Reactions: Nikon1 and Egika
That's still too much since we should see none of it, as it doesn't apply from any regulatory standpoint.

... then don't update and you will continue to see 'none of it'.

Alternatively, update and as long as you don't try to fly without a smart device connected for at least a few seconds at the start of each flight you will also see 'none of it' as the process is entirely transparent in use.

I do appreciate that for reasons I will probably never understand, some wish to fly a camera drone with no ability to view or accurately point the camera, that's fine, I don't need to understand the motivation. If that is your wish then just don't update and for you nothing changes.

You may not get future updates, but you will have precisely what you have now with no changes forced upon you.

Reactions: Nikon1 and grizzard
Aside from that, you can't set all the options from the goggles, so you are going to need something capable of at least running the Go 4 app well enough to do that, and if you have such a device then you can use the same thing to 'authorize' the flight...

I'm not hopeful either, given what you point out about goggle app not been fully functional. I already wish DJI GO would have options to create user setting profiles, a type of setting snapshot, that users could access very simply. In this way, the goggle could thereby access all settings, via simple profile selection.

Still no feedback whatsoever about the positive sides of the 800? Like that allegedly improved image quality (color shading)?

Still no feedback whatsoever about the positive sides of the 800? Like that allegedly improved image quality (color shading)?

I believe they may be referring to the 'hot spot' issue that some were reporting.

I can't comment on that as I've never observed an issue on my Mavic, but perhaps someone who had the issue can comment... ?

Guys, I do apologise - maybe I've missed the info.
Have anyone tried to use .800 FW with 4.0.8 or earlier Go4 App?

I'm still on 4.0.8 and going to update FW to .800 via Assistant 2 so I wonder would I be able to stick to 4.0.8?

The whole "you've got the choice not to update" excuse is BS.
If you want to fully use the new accessories (e.g. goggles) to their marketed potential you have to update, .700 had goggles operation bugs that are solved in .800.
You've got no choice but to lose something.

Yes. IF you want to use the Goggles.
But to continue using the Mavic in the same state as when you got it: still no update required or forced.

I'm trying to think of a better analogy of how I think the new Firmware/App/SDK system works as it appears to confise so many of us.

By default, when the Mavic powers up- it is "locked".(restricted)

When you connect your device (phone/tablet) via the internet using Go4 (or the newest API) to your DJI account - you download a "Key" to your device. This key stays on you device.(unless you deliberately delete it by clicking on log out)

When the Mavic connects to your device either via Go4 or the API - this key "unlocks" the drone. The drone stays unlocked until it powers down.

Power it back up again and the key is still on the device to unlock it when you re-connect (no internet needed)

This analogy means:
  1. If the App dissects, for some reason, when re-connected the drone is still unlocked
  2. When the drone is powered off (battery change) as soon as it re-connects to the device (phone/Tablet) the key is still on the device and unhooks the drone.
  3. If you fly controller only then the drone is locked (no key on controller).
    1. But first connect with device (and key) to unlock (no internet needed as key is already on device) - then disconnect and fly. Drone remains unlocked until power off.
Now I've no doubt this key has an expiry date (probably several days) and will be refreshed each time your device/Go4 reconnects to the internet. So unless your staying off-grid for months I cant see this being an issue.

I *think* this analogy works. (it's how I'd program it)
Anybody updated and fond something that disproves the above?

Last edited:
Reactions: tictag
DJI is asking for a class action lawsuit. You can't sell a product and then change the features significantly after sale via forced firmware updates. Sony lost a a big suit due to that exact situation with the PS3 as they removed the install your own OS feature after people found a way to use that to pirate games. Just because people are using your product in a way you don't like, doesn't give you the right to make the product less useful after purchase.
This is in no way a forced update.

Reactions: grizzard
Everything seems OK but they made a crucial error:

Contrary to when it was launched and what was advertised then, the system now needs a mobile device to work with, otherwise it will be altitude/range limited.

This is the Achilles's heel of this whole process, the one that will warrant asking for your money back upon returning the device or even large-scope legal action.

The fact that this particular FW upgrade is not mandatory will not cover them because present and future FW enhancements will only be made available to those customers who have forcibly accepted the new conditions.

If I know the US market (...and I think I know a bit, how litigious it can be ...) they are in for a world of pain.

MK
I disagree. The fact that this particular FW upgrade is not mandatory is the exact reason why a lawsuit or a refund should and will be denied. There is absolutely nothing that the user can't do with their Mavic that they could do when they originally bought it. Heck, if you just stay on the 700 firmware then you can actually do far MORE with the Mavic than what was originally purchased.

So people asking for a refund or threatening with a lawsuit is laughable.

If you want to fully use the new accessories (e.g. goggles) to their marketed potential you have to update, .700 had goggles operation bugs that are solved in .800.
Nonsense .... If your drone is working fine why would you want to update and screw up your settings and possibly lose features? MS as big as they are, has shown us that they can screw up perfectly good working computers so that you never ....and I mean never never get those features back. And not everybody thinks googles is the cat's meow. Personally I think googles are a fading fad that will go away ... sorta like 3D glasses in movie theaters. But to each his own.

Alternatively, update and as long as you don't try to fly without a smart device connected for at least a few seconds at the start of each flight you will also see 'none of it' as the process is entirely transparent in use.

I do appreciate that for reasons I will probably never understand, some wish to fly a camera drone with no ability to view or accurately point the camera, that's fine, I don't need to understand the motivation. If that is your wish then just don't update and for you nothing changes.

You may not get future updates, but you will have precisely what you have now with no changes forced upon you.
You'll be forced to update in one way or another. You can't "just don't update" for the life of the Mavic.

Of course you can never update .... turn off your wifi when you fly.

This is in no way a forced update.
You must know very little of Andriod and iOS firmware and or devices. Eventually, you will be forced to update the app as it will no longer work with new device control device firmwares.

Are we to keep an old phone with an aging OS for the life of the Mavic?

What if you phone is lost and you get another? Does DJI give me to older version of the app to use? What if I send in my drone to DJI? Is it not their policy to update to latest firmware?

Reactions: grizzard

... you can probably update the goggles to .800 on their own though, just connect them to DJI Assustant...

The world didn't come to a shuddering halt with this update, they didn't even take away your ability to fly without a controller, they just asked you to briefly attach your smart device before you do that.

... if that is enough to have people wanting to go legal then by all means have at it.

On the one hand you'll have DJI holding the moral high-ground with small changes that they can easily characterise as being for public safety and accountability, and on the other side you'll have a bunch of users, probably quite small in number, trying to argue that they need their freedom to do whatever they want regardless of the safety aspects...

I've seen enough perverse court decisions to know that the case could prevail, but I'm done debating it at this point.

Either accept the changes and move forward with the consequences or don't accept the changes and live with the consequences of that choice, or go start/join a class action.

I'm not sure what else there is to gain by talking about it further...

Reactions: Nikon1
But people will continue to beat / post this issue to death.

YMMV

You must know very little of Andriod and iOS firmware and or devices. Eventually, you will be forced to update the app as it will no longer work with new device control device firmwares.

Are we to keep an old phone with an aging OS for the life of the Mavic?

What if you phone is lost and you get another? Does DJI give me to older version of the app to use? What if I send in my drone to DJI? Is it not their policy to update to latest firmware?
Well gee ... what can I say. I build computers and still have customers who use XP who don't need all the malware and crapware they try to saddle you with on the latest and greatest. I have computers with Vista, Millennium, and Win7 working fine. I use a Galaxy Tab with the wifi turned off and have a Nexus 6P for backup. The law of averages says I will be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Less