DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot in Rockville, MD

Thmoore

Premium Pilot
Reactions
My Mavic Mini just arrived the other day from apple.com (with 3% back when using the Apple Card!). I’ve been able to fly it outside for a total of 10 minutes, maybe, as it’s been dark or raining when I’ve been going to work, and dark when I get home. Tomorrow morning (Saturday!) is when I finally get to take it for a proper flight.

I panicked a little while I was waiting for the drone to arrive, as the B4UFLY and AirMap apps both showed my house and neighborhood to be within the 15-mile absolute no-fly zone around Washington’s National Airport. But it turns out that the DJI Fly app is the only one that matters, and it says I’m just outside:

4f6f66fb639aabac4df5d11f16b24efe.jpg

I ask a lot of questions, though I usually am pretty good about checking to make sure they haven’t been asked before. Looking forward to joining the community!

Tom

Welcome to the forum Tom. We are happy to have you. Ask away sir and we'll do our best to answer it. Get plenty of rest tonight . . . morning will be upon you soon. It'll be time to spin up my man! Have fun. Fly safe!

Reactions: Thmoore
My Mavic Mini just arrived the other day from apple.com (with 3% back when using the Apple Card!). I’ve been able to fly it outside for a total of 10 minutes, maybe, as it’s been dark or raining when I’ve been going to work, and dark when I get home. Tomorrow morning (Saturday!) is when I finally get to take it for a proper flight.

I panicked a little while I was waiting for the drone to arrive, as the B4UFLY and AirMap apps both showed my house and neighborhood to be within the 15-mile absolute no-fly zone around Washington’s National Airport. But it turns out that the DJI Fly app is the only one that matters, and it says I’m just outside:

4f6f66fb639aabac4df5d11f16b24efe.jpg

I ask a lot of questions, though I usually am pretty good about checking to make sure they haven’t been asked before. Looking forward to joining the community!

Tom
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic Mini, Fly safe and have fun!

Here is a portion of the VFR section for the VFR sectional chart for the area.
maryland-airspace-jpg.86480

I thought flying around NYC was bad. The big blue circle is the Washington Metropolitan Special Flight Restrictions Area but it looks like where you're located it begins at 3,500 feet (assuming you're just outside the Flight Restricted Zone for the airport).

Attachments

• Maryland Airspace.jpg
    Maryland Airspace.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
This might provide some clarification (from the FAA websites: UAS Flight in the SFRA

The National Capital Region is governed by a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) within a 30-mile radius of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, which restricts all flights in the greater DC area.

The SFRA is divided into a 15-mile radius inner ring and a 30-mile radius outer ring.

• Flying an unmanned aircraft within the 15-mile radius inner ring is prohibited without specific FAA authorization.
  • Experienced Part 107 and public aircraft operators with justification can file your request through the on-line Access Program (AAP) https://waivers.faa.gov
  • A TSA/FAA waiver and an SGI/COA is required
  • Flying a drone for recreational or non-recreational use between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. is allowed under these operating conditions:
    • Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera)
    • Aircraft must be registered and marked
    • Fly below 400 ft.
    • Fly within visual line-of-sight
    • Fly in clear weather conditions
    • Never fly near other aircraft

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members