DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Platinum Props Tested

What rpm and amp draw differences did you see vs stock props at 31.5mph?

On my last flight I saw 32mph for 11 deg aircraft pitch, and I also tried out side mounting the batteries. Top mounting should give better prop efficiency, but not as good forward aero. Will find out which is better on the next flight.

I didn't check RPM, but the tachometer percentage is around 54%. It already reads much lower with new props as compared to old props that are usually around 65 to 75%.

At lunch I flew with dual 3000 LiHV. That seems like a good battery for new propellers. Flew just over 30 minutes with wind and climbed over a mountain, gaining 5300ft in altitude and just under 80,000 total distance. 7% left. I think flying a distance run these dual 3000s wouldn't be too far off the dual 4000s with the new props. Motors were a bit hot, but nothing like the dual 4000 batteries.

What rpm and amp draw differences did you see vs stock props at 31.5mph?

On my last flight I saw 32mph for 11 deg aircraft pitch, and I also tried out side mounting the batteries. Top mounting should give better prop efficiency, but not as good forward aero. Will find out which is better on the next flight.

90qEwqq.png

Ok, I don't have my 54K foot flight, but here's a more recent flight with old props on top and new props on bottom. I was flying into a headwind at a higher speed on return leg until I slowed down. I picked samples which are fairly close in speed relative to wind. In general I see the old props being about 10watts more efficient with heavy load. I will try putting new props on front and old props on rear as you can see there is much more load on the rear. New props seem to be more efficient with lighter loads and old props have less pitch which is better for heavy load.

old_vs_new_propellers.JPG

Reactions: NinjaNut
Has anybody done a flight time comparison with the old Mavic with new vs old props?

Has anybody done a flight time comparison with the old Mavic with new vs old props?
There have been a couple of posts where people have done some very preliminary very limited tests that showed minimal improvement. Around 30 seconds extra, IIRC.

1210g, 220m elevation, air temp 21c, zero wind, hovering. Power consumption is identical which is promising so far. The ESCs make noticeably more high frequency noise with the platinum props, but the prop noise is definitely quieter. I can see these really helping at altitude.

5lgxRuv.png

Reactions: CyberNate
Now here's something interesting. First hover test was side mounted batteries, and this one I switched to top mounted. The Platinum props show a solid 5W reduction in hover power.

S0Crmhz.png

Reactions: CyberNate
Now here's something interesting. First hover test was side mounted batteries, and this one I switched to top mounted. The Platinum props show a solid 5W reduction in hover power.

S0Crmhz.png

I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you comparing old props to new props, or top mount vs side mount with new props (8331)? Top mount (and bottom mount) will of course be better as side mount blocks a small amount of propeller downforce area.

First test was new vs old, side mount batteries. I was surprised to see identical power draws. Second test new vs old with top mount batteries.

I think the ideal battery layout including a DJI battery might be top mount, but inline for lower drag.

bd1826e40c45b43274652ab765fdb2b8.jpg

First test was new vs old, side mount batteries. I was surprised to see identical power draws. Second test new vs old with top mount batteries.

I think the ideal battery layout including a DJI battery might be top mount, but inline for lower drag.

bd1826e40c45b43274652ab765fdb2b8.jpg

Rear GPS and compass are working like that? The battery towards rear is covering the GPS/compass module completely.

1210g, 220m elevation, air temp 21c, zero wind, hovering. Power consumption is identical which is promising so far. The ESCs make noticeably more high frequency noise with the platinum props, but the prop noise is definitely quieter. I can see these really helping at altitude.

5lgxRuv.png
At hover I can believe that, as you are not pushing motors; however at speed the platinum props are no longer efficient. It's a big difference. I'm still considering putting new ones on front, as the fronts are not working as hard.

Edit: I should add, my 4000 Multistars are a little heavier than your packs. I see with dual 3000s the new propellers are fine. I'm not sure where cross-over point is in efficiency vs weight.

Reactions: cderoche
GPS doesn't pick up as well with a battery covering, but good enough. For altitude I top mount the single 4500 pack, roughly flush with the rear bodywork. For distance I put two packs as far forwards as possible whether top or side mounted.

Back to back flight tests on the platinum props vs stock as soon as the weather cooperates. Plan is to fly a square with each set to average wind.

So the new props have a slight power advantage with top mount batteries, but not with side mount. Perhaps the new props take a bigger hit with side-mount because they are slightly longer, and therefore side batteries interfere with their airflow slightly more?

At hover I can believe that, as you are not pushing motors; however at speed the platinum props are no longer efficient. It's a big difference. I'm still considering putting new ones on front, as the fronts are not working as hard.

Edit: I should add, my 4000 Multistars are a little heavier than your packs. I see with dual 3000s the new propellers are fine. I'm not sure where cross-over point is in efficiency vs weight.

Rather than just adding batteries, maybe a controlled test of current/power draw as a function of the incremental addition of weights would answer the basic question.

Sorry guys,jmo,but I think most on here want to compare stock to platinum props,not all these extra batteries.Do they improve flight time and noise over stock!

Sorry guys,jmo,but I think most on here want to compare stock to platinum props,not all these extra batteries.Do they improve flight time and noise over stock!

That's the subject. The extra batteries add weight to make it a tougher test so the differences (if any) stand out more.

(I think :) )

Got mine yesterday.

Initial observations:
Indoors - both are still noisy.
Outdoors - platinum slightly less louder and most importantly, less annoying.

I took off in a park on Super-Sports mode and got up to 100 ft without anyone noticing.

A lot of tests online have shown about a minute airtime gains when hovering with the old Mav and new Platty props. I hope there is the battery gains correlation when the Mavic is in motion.

I'll be doing a stock baseline wattage comparison soon and will post the graphs here.

Reactions: rickw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman