DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Apprehension

Doofus

Reactions
Just got my Mavic and it's amazing!

I live in So. California with wide open spaces within 2 hours drive where I plan to mostly fly by myself.

I gotta admit to being a bit apprehensive about doing so because of mainly having people getting angry at me for "spying" on them or being annoyed at having a drone fly over their property etc.

When you guys go out to fly, do you get approached by angry people very much? Or approached by interested/curious people at all?

Thanks!

I fly mostly where I will be alone. I don't like audiences or diversions.
I have been approached twice by angry (paranoid) people and don't like it at all.
One guy told me that in this day and age, I shouldn't be allowed to have a drone... it could have a bomb on board!

yeah, it's best to get as far out into nature as you can. I usually go to a park and find a spot by myself to launch from. quite often people walk by, look, point. it's usually more curiosity than fury, and one guy was crossbow hunting in the state park (not sure that's legal) and told me to yell if I spotted some deer.
had a park ranger come and park and watch for a while then took off. just interested I guess. haven't had anyone verbally upset or arguing with me yet. hoping not to!

Reactions: Badchemist
I fly mostly out in the country, since that’s where I live. They all know me out there and what I’m up to.

But when I bring my drone to town, where I work, I’ve had nothing but positive and interested responses, even on the fringes of large events.

I think it has something to do with how you present yourself. If you come off looking defensive and closed off, people are going to be suspicious. It is a pain, but sometimes you have to say a few friendly words, even while flying. Then I say “Wait a second and I’ll land and show you what it’s all about” let them see my screen and the equipment.

They love it and usually wind up asking how they go about getting one. I’ve even gotten into conversations as to the benefits, (and admitted downsides) of drones... kinda see myself as an ambassador of the sport. If you don’t want to deal with this kind of interaction then you probably need to stay well out in the country.

Believe me sometimes, especially when working commercially, the last thing I want is to explain this to someone who it’s none of their business, and for that I wear a UAV pilot vest, which explains and says “keep back”

I’m sure there are others who have had that rare person who never fav them a chance, but I’ve never had a bad experience with anyone in many years of flying UAVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 51 Drones
I also am a newbie, first few flights i did were away from the general public, hiking trails i had a few people stop look and ask some simple questions but that’s about it. Haven’t had the pleasure of speaking with angry people as of yet, i hope to though haha

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
1. Launch/fly far away from people and houses.
2. If anyone angry approaches you, don't say anything or apologize, and leave immediately. Even if you have 100% right to fly there, if people are angry, it's not worth dealing with it. There are millions of square miles of space where flying wouldn't be a problem for anybody.
3. ...
4. HAPPY FLYING

I'm of the opposite mind. I really don't care what people think if I'm staying legal. Their insecurities are their own problems, not mine to placate. If I decided to make a quick settings tweak to my camera, I'm not driving 20 minutes to make a 10 minute flight to see what it did! I'm walking out my door to my driveway, launching the drone, and going up to video and see what differences the changes made. Then I'll probably repeat a few times until all 3 batteries need charging. If you choose to go out of your way and waste your time and gas going somewhere else to fly, it's your choice.
Me? I have bigger things to waste my time and gas on than placating reactionaries.

I am close to 200 miles flying and have had zero complaints. Most of my flights have originated in parks with the bulk of the flying over water. I normally fly high (-400 feet) and am continuously moving so I do not think it is even noticed, especially since I started flying the low(er)-noise props. I think what gets people angry is when someone fly's low overhead or hovers above them. No one wants to be buzzed by a drone or have the feeling someone is watching them. When I have been approached it has been out of curiosity and perhaps some envy.

I have done the bulk of my flying in the Seattle area and the folks here are generally friendly :). Just be respectful of people's privacy and you should be OK.

Last edited:
Just got my Mavic and it's amazing!

I live in So. California with wide open spaces within 2 hours drive where I plan to mostly fly by myself.

I gotta admit to being a bit apprehensive about doing so because of mainly having people getting angry at me for "spying" on them or being annoyed at having a drone fly over their property etc.

When you guys go out to fly, do you get approached by angry people very much? Or approached by interested/curious people at all?

Thanks!

I have a few different locations that I fly in and they are mainly empty of people so I don't have to worry about angry public :)

I’m in Long Beach CA. So far, I’ve flown mostly at public parks and the beach. Most people don’t even bother to notice the Mavic when it’s flying. So far I’ve had one lady notice and all she said to me was “it’s a nice day for flying.”

I try to launch from areas away from direct public view. Don't loiter around your immediate area. I flew from inside my parked car and saw some guy driving around trying to find me. Lol.

When I fly, it’s usually out by the beach...

I’m usually flying sport mode beginning to end. I’m not sitting there hovering around, or giving people a reason to be paranoid.

I do get approached from time to time, but it’s more about curiosity than anything else.

I’m braver than most, and if you look like you have the common sense and the abilities to move joysticks around, I’ll offer you the chance to pilot the drone. That is, of course, after I switch it into ‘beginner mode’.

Seeing people smile, and grin like a Cheshire Cat when flying the drone; it’s priceless. I’ve let 9 year olds fly, all the up to people in their 60’s.

I find, that after letting people fly the drone, it satisfies their curiosity, and takes away any negative feelings or worries they may have previously had.

I have not though, encountered an irate individual. I’m sure it’ll happen. when it does, calm heads will prevail.

Happy flying!

I've been fortunate and not had any negative people, but I usually fly where there aren't many people. Have had a few just curious with a few questions, I'll answer their questions and even show what I'm seeing and how it works. They usually walk away with a positive outlook and a smile.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown